SJers taping hooves/shoes?

Matafleur

Visit site
I'm sure there was a post a while ago about showjumpers taping the back of the foot/shoe rather than using OR boots?

I am going on hound exercise tomorrow and I was thinking about taping my horses shoes. He wears plastic pads all round which means his shoes do not always stay on as well as they might. They are fine at the mo and I always avoid deep, sucking going but they will sometimes come off anyway. I was thinking the taping might just stop them being pulled.

Has anyone taped feet for SJing or anything else? Do you think it would help/hurt?

Thanks

x

AnShanDan

Visit site
I had never done this until recently, we have a pony whose feet are poor (only got him in April) and the farrier told me to use duck tape on his feet.
It works really well, you have got to get the feet dry and clean first then wrap the tape round catching the back of the shoe under the tape about an inch but just going to the bottom of the toe at the front and wrap a few times, i hope this makes sense!
Obviously the wetter the ground the quicker the tape comes off, sometimes within hours it's gone but I have had it stay on for days this summer. No ill effects at all. I do also put large o/r boots on this pony as added protection.
smile.gif

Matafleur

Visit site
Brilliant! Thanks for that.

Do you go round the bulb of the heel or just literally catch the back of the shoe and tape to the toe? I expect it will come off after an hour or so but I don't intend to be out too long. Every little helps!
grin.gif

AnShanDan

Visit site
The farrier showed me the first time and he went right over the shoe at the back covering the last few cm of shoe and the bulbs of the heels as well and at the front I am careful to just go the ground if you like and not over the shoe itself. Difficult to explain much easier to show!!
You need to have the foot dry and get the tape tight as you can. We've had it stay on right through one day events when the ground was fairly dry. Haven't lost a shoe since we started doing it either and his feet are much better now as well.
smile.gif
smile.gif