Skin Problem!

Taboo1968

Visit site
TB started to lose his coat rapidly a few weeks ago and actually went BALD!!!!! (in patches) Vet nurse checked it out and said nothing nasty going on, thats just the way he is losing his coat? Anyhow, have used Microtek Spray just in case it was anything nasty and also EQYSS Rebuilder to get the hair to grow back, all thats fine, we now have no bald patches. However his skin has gone really really dry and its like an equine version of sunburn peeling???? Any ideas? Will try and take some piccies later!

spaniel

Visit site
Could it be the Spray or the Rebuilder residue coming off the skin?

Perhaps wait till it stops raining and give a really good bath with something like Malaseb just in case?

Is there any itching or discolouration?

Taboo1968

Visit site
Nope its definately flakes of skin!!!! I'll have to give the malaseb a try this weekend.

No discolouration or itching now, just seems like a bad case of sunburn and its peeling!!! but the hair is still there and doesn't come off when I've attempted to peel off the flakes??? Will try and get some piccies later!

StableMum

Visit site
My TB always looses his coat this way, shedding winter coat in patches before growing the summer one. He looks very moth-eaten for a while untill his new coat comes through.

Visit site
Please check your horse's bloods for white/red cell count - it could be a virus - there is a mystery virus going around which starts with the horse losing his hair into great big bald patches - we had the same problem, even had the horse tested for Leprosy ! After 18 weeks of constant blood tests, he is now ready to start work - its thought to be a strain of flu probably coming from the Southern Hemisphere but nobody really knows what it is ! About six months of rest may help ! Not good but true !

lhotse

Visit site
Aloe vera gel, I swear by the stuff for skin conditions. It cleared the rainscald that my mare had last spring (due to her age and lowered immunity, I hasten to add!!) where Malaseb,Hibiscrub and a course of antibiotics failed!!!

kellyeaton

Visit site
my girl is a t/b and when she looses her coat it comes out in mattered clumps as a fw bold patches then her lovely summer coat comes through!