Skinny? (Not dipper… more general)

druid

Visit site
My 4 month old Springer pup shows rib some days at the right angle. Dogs should be lean, not fat. I like to see 1-2 ribs on a working dog that is fit. Maybe let them carry a touch more over summer but never lose the waist or tuck.

babymare

Visit site
Trust in yourself Clodagh. He looks fit and healthy. Has someone else said people are so used to seeing over weight dogs when they see a fit dog they think skinny. Since being speyed I’m am constantly watching our ESS weight ?

Last edited:

Kat_Bath

Visit site
Hasn't he grown?! If he is skinny then Buddy is borderline emaciated... He looks spot on to me (and gorgeous as well).

meggymoo

Visit site
Im sure you know enough about dogs to know he looks fine. Trust yourself! Our lab was a very hefty 40kg two years ago. We had got him down to 37kg by last Autumn and then he ruptured his cruciate. Our vet and the referral vet who did the TTA both issued us with dire warnings about not getting his weight down a lot more. Anyone with a lab knows about weight battles, but we took heed of the warnings and last week he was 31.4kg. Not too far to go now! It does feel a little odd to feel his ribs and spine so prominent though. Co-incidentally yesterday I saw a picture of one of his litter mates who is a champion show dog in the Far East. I was horrified at the rolls of fat just about everywhere. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him with the joint problems he is likely to be facing.

Parrotperson

Visit site
he's fine. My JRT is going through the teenage phase growth spurt and "is he getting a bit thin?" at the mo.

It'll settle down. Plus people are used to seeing fat labs so........

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Im sure you know enough about dogs to know he looks fine. Trust yourself! Our lab was a very hefty 40kg two years ago. We had got him down to 37kg by last Autumn and then he ruptured his cruciate. Our vet and the referral vet who did the TTA both issued us with dire warnings about not getting his weight down a lot more. Anyone with a lab knows about weight battles, but we took heed of the warnings and last week he was 31.4kg. Not too far to go now! It does feel a little odd to feel his ribs and spine so prominent though. Co-incidentally yesterday I saw a picture of one of his litter mates who is a champion show dog in the Far East. I was horrified at the rolls of fat just about everywhere. I couldn't help but feel sorry for him with the joint problems he is likely to be facing.

Actually, I have never had fat Labs, even though I have had show-bred pets. I feed and exercise them appropriately, as I'm sure Clodagh does.I am horrified at the thought of a 40kg Lab. Our Rotts were about 40kg each

Clodagh

Visit site
Actually, I have never had fat Labs, even though I have had show-bred pets. I feed and exercise them appropriately, as I'm sure Clodagh does.I am horrified at the thought of a 40kg Lab. Our Rotts were about 40kg each
I’ve got a friend who’s lab, an ex guide dog so show bred, weighs over 40kg. It is disgusting.
Tbh I struggle keeping mine not too thin when they are working but they look different when they are muscled up. Mine (spayed bitches apart from Scout) have so little to eat. He’s having twice as much as them.

maisie06

Visit site
Three people this week have told me how thin Scout is. ‘Skin and bone’ I got told today.

Im not seeing it but am starting to doubt myself. He is bony in a teenage boy sort of way and yes you can feel his spine and ribs.
Sorry for photos but if you can see his head he won’t stand side on and pose! So the last pic is so you can see he does have a head ?

Bleddy PERFECT!! So nice to see a fit for function lab rather than a hiffing puffing barrel on legs!! My Springer is similar - I have been told he's "starving" and is a "whippet cross not a spaniel" by an elderly owner of 3 very overweight show cockers!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I saw a fit lean lab today, had I not been driving, I’d have told them how fab it was. I remember bob at crufts a few years back and it rolled as it walked, it was so fat. I think some judges need to see some working dogs!

Boulty

Visit site
He's fine & would still be fine even a little skinnier than he is. Puppies go through various weird shapes anyway as they grow (my idiot spaniel beast seemed to vary from week to week whether he looked a bit chunky or a bit thin & leggy & he did have a butt like Beyonce for a bit but seems to have settled on a more normal shape now)

Goldenstar

Visit site
He’s fine many people just never see a slim Labrador .
I get told mine can’t be labs on a semi regular basis