Skinny TB, HELP!

misswoods

Visit site
Hi all,

I have a 16.1hh 12yo TB mare. She was out on minimal work during winter and as a result lost a bit of weight and has come out slightly below average than what I would have liked!

I've tried so much to get her to put weight back on but it just doesn't seem to be working. She still looks skinny around her rump and neck and her spine is quite prominent but has a decent tummy. She's on two feeds a day made up of 2 scoops of weight gain mix, 1 cup of equijewel, 2 of dengie hifi original and 1.5 scoops of conditioning cubes. She's also on 50ml a day of ultimate oil along with garlic, turmeric and salt. I've recently wormed her and she lives out with a huge rug on and a bale of hay a day (until the grass comes through), she's alright in herself and is up to her usual tricks.

I'm getting her back into work but I feel like such a bad mummy riding her when she's like this!

PLEASE HELP!

BethH

Visit site
Try a course of protexein recover aid. It seems to help them pull more nutrition out of their food. Has really helped a couple of poor do-ers I know. Difficulty gaining weight can sometimes be hind gut, the Protexein re-populates it with loads of good bacteria so they are more comfortable with their digestion.

Puppy

Visit site
Those sound very large feeds! Have you weighed them? It may be that you are giving her too much in one go and as a result she isn't able to feel the benefit of much of the feed.

JillA

Visit site
I was talking to Sarah Braithwaite at Forageplus yesterday about my one who is similar, even on 3 acres of good grass last summer. We analysed what protein he was getting, assuming his grass/forage to be average. It wasn't enough, so she did a diet sheet including balancing the minerals from my analysis done a few years ago. I have to double his Rowan & Barbary, double his linseed and add bran to balance excessive calcium levels. Unlike some companies she starts with what you are currently feeding and builds from there. Worth contacting her?

Northern Hare

Visit site
Can you split the feeds down to 3 or 4 smaller feeds - that will make them more manageable for her so she can really benefit from the feeds. Also can you increase her hay/haylage - and is it good quality?

Now the grass is starting to appear, that should help with her condition. Some people report great reviews of using grass nuts - and also copra meal to add condition but I don't have experience of those.

JillA

Visit site
Assuming teeth and wormer status are okay, the other thing that comes to mind for lack of topline but big tummy is Cushings - has she been tested? 12 isn't old but it can affect at any age.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Split the feeds give it over 3 or even 4 if possible. My ulcer prone to TB is much better for the addition of a small amount of bran in each feed. Plus would probably add in boiled barley with linseed - we do a big vat of 3 scoops barley / bucket water / 1 cup linseed then feed half scoop per feed fab for putting weight on and encouraging them to eat up.

misswoods

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone, it's been really interesting reading what everyone uses and does to help. I will start with modifying her feed and then see about getting a vet out to check for Cushings. Thank you!