Skylla update

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
So I don't think I've updated in here for ages now!

Skylla was doing well with her ridden duties, still prone to the odd nap but getting there slowly :). However on our hack out last Wed, she took an odd step and then the day after presented as lame :(. Managed to get a reaction to her hoof so hot tubbed and poulticed just in case, and called the vet who agreed that waiting and seeing would probably be the best idea.

So if anyone remembers, Doodle had an abscess in Jan and I shamelessly spammed you all with my worrying :eek:. Now I have learnt that abscesses, whilst dramatic, are not to be hysterical about :D.

So as we suspected Skylla may be hiding one last week I was very good and managed to not panic at all :). Well until Sat and she was none weight baring and I made my vet come out :eek: or when I suggested it may be either laminitis or a broken pedal bone :eek:, but I digress...

Now we've finally got pus and she's happy to put her weight on her leg again :D, que much celebrating! It did take Skylla chewing off multiple poultices, emptying many buckets of water (clean and hot tubbing water), drinking the hot tubbing water and generally being an adorable pain in the backside :D, but we've got here! I am poorer, the vet and suppliers of vet wrap and Animalintex much richer and Skylla holier but we've got here :eek:!

"If you interrupt this nap you will regret it"
F828562A-9F9A-4D81-9F68-180B0F101912_zpsyieyrjfs.jpg

Yes I disturbed her and yes she was cranky and a total pain :D, here sampling the hot tub water before knocking it over :eek:, my own fault for taking this picture and not standing right next to her :eek:.
57C77EB2-0ACC-4E7F-BC00-4FAAC7374476_zpsiwmdgzil.jpg

She did manage to forget her foot when food was on offer :D
5221F80A-543F-43C0-8AB9-BD39334E6049_zpswsnjpyc5.jpg

14AA177E-D7B3-414E-87DC-A4DC244710D7_zpssp0hew0l.jpg

So any guesses on how long baby horse will have to remain confined to barracks? As she is pretty awesome at being a good girl and staying in on her own, but I think now her foot doesn't hurt she will become less angelic...

Visit site
Throw her back.out. The best thing for accesses is to keep moving. If there is still pus coming out then poultice but put a bit of plastic feed sake round her foot and duct tape that on. If no more pus then no need to poultice.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Throw her back.out. The best thing for accesses is to keep moving. If there is still pus coming out then poultice but put a bit of plastic feed sake round her foot and duct tape that on. If no more pus then no need to poultice.

Still pus coming out this morning, so will keep poulticing until we get clean poultices. Surprisingly my vet doesn't entirely agree with movement and abscesses, though that was before it has burst, as there is some thought it can force the abscess upwards when they have very hard feet like Skylla.

However, I am tempted to wrap it well and put her in our small paddock now it's burst, though I may wait until the torrential downpours stop not sure my poulticing skills are good enough for the mega weather we've had!

I.M.N.

Visit site
I am another of the turn out variety!
But,only if you can use a shoof or poultice boot if it is muddy.
If dry,then definately out!

This. Also, I would always go to a farrier rather than a vet for a foot abscess, (good) farriers will find and relieve it quicker and not butcher the foot. Though, being on sandy soil we're pus in the foot experts here, as soon as a horse is lame over night we're strait on the phone to the farrier.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Yup if the ground's dry enough chuck her out; even the wimpy TB gets chucked out once we've got it clear of pus. If you have access to a small person steal a nappy then lots of duct tape :)

PorkChop

Visit site
I would turn out too!

Poultice and then put a layer of thick plastic - the corner of a feed bag works well - over the hoof and finish with gaffer tape :)

Damnation

Visit site
I have always chucked them out once they are sound.

I vetwrap over the animalintex then get a thick plastic bag and gorilla tape it over the foot around the pastern then gorilla tape the whole foot like you would the vetwrap to give it a good layer or two of waterproofness/toughness :D

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I am another of the turn out variety!
But,only if you can use a shoof or poultice boot if it is muddy.
If dry,then definately out!

It's the dry bit that we're struggling with :D, but hopefully the weather will cheer up! Might look at getting a Horsecroz for her.

This. Also, I would always go to a farrier rather than a vet for a foot abscess, (good) farriers will find and relieve it quicker and not butcher the foot. Though, being on sandy soil we're pus in the foot experts here, as soon as a horse is lame over night we're strait on the phone to the farrier.

Well that is fine if you're convinced it's an abscess and it couldn't be something else :eek:, vet was excellent and I'm not sure anyone was digging it out as they would have been digging blind. Mind you next time it might be the farrier I call having just paid my vet bill :D.

Yup if the ground's dry enough chuck her out; even the wimpy TB gets chucked out once we've got it clear of pus. If you have access to a small person steal a nappy then lots of duct tape :)

No small person to steal nappies off, but have a supply that rivals the vets of poulticing stuff :D. I'm hoping it will clear quickly now its draining :).

I would turn out too!

Poultice and then put a layer of thick plastic - the corner of a feed bag works well - over the hoof and finish with gaffer tape :)

Good plan, will see how it's looking tonight, shame Doodle's poultice boot won't fit!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I have always chucked them out once they are sound.

I vetwrap over the animalintex then get a thick plastic bag and gorilla tape it over the foot around the pastern then gorilla tape the whole foot like you would the vetwrap to give it a good layer or two of waterproofness/toughness :D

Hmm would the tape all around the hoof not cause pressure issues as it would be harder to tell where the coronet band is? Bare with me if that's a silly question, this is only my second ever abscess :eek:!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Well that is fine if you're convinced it's an abscess and it couldn't be something else :eek:, vet was excellent and I'm not sure anyone was digging it out as they would have been digging blind. Mind you next time it might be the farrier I call having just paid my vet bill :D.

A lot of the vets around here won't excavate an abcess anyway so you end up paying for both :)

A decent farrier won't dig completely blind, having watched dad at work it's almost like witchcraft watching him work out where it is before he starts :)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I always put them out I use an old plastic feed bag folded over the bottom of the foot several times then wrapped in tape, and I secure it just below the fetlock with tape but loosely so there is no pressure on the leg, if you don't have a plastic bag cut strips of tape long enough to cover the hoof and stick them together to for a big square of tape so you can wack the whole thing over the bottom of the hoof.

Damnation

Visit site
Hmm would the tape all around the hoof not cause pressure issues as it would be harder to tell where the coronet band is? Bare with me if that's a silly question, this is only my second ever abscess :eek:!

Its hard to describe but no, it doesn't. You vertwrap as usual, get your plastic back, put it over the foot then gorilla wrap like you would the vetwrap around the foot, then wack a strip around the pastern and cut off access plastic bag!

A bit like this one (link below, pic halfway down the page) but my plastic bags often come just a bit higher and I tape under the pastern but not over the coronet band. (I had a destructive horse, it was the only way to keep the damned thing on so he could go out! He was a nightmare to keep in!)

http://phoenixhorse.myfastforum.org/archive/abscesses__o_t__t_1833.html

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
that pic looks a bit like mine damnation although I tend to only duct tape the top round the pastern then I was cheating and putting a boot on when he was moving more anyway. I think you are potentially imagining pressure issues where needs must AH ;)

Yes abscesses do come out the top pretty frequently on bare horses - it doesn't seem to cause major issues other than them taking a bit longer to come out sometimes though I didn't think?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
A lot of the vets around here won't excavate an abcess anyway so you end up paying for both :)

A decent farrier won't dig completely blind, having watched dad at work it's almost like witchcraft watching him work out where it is before he starts :)

:D I will make sure to call your dad next time then ;), happy it's out now and no digging was required!

I always put them out I use an old plastic feed bag folded over the bottom of the foot several times then wrapped in tape, and I secure it just below the fetlock with tape but loosely so there is no pressure on the leg, if you don't have a plastic bag cut strips of tape long enough to cover the hoof and stick them together to for a big square of tape so you can wack the whole thing over the bottom of the hoof.

Will see what we can manage, I managed with Doodle but did have a boot to help keep things clean!

Its hard to describe but no, it doesn't. You vertwrap as usual, get your plastic back, put it over the foot then gorilla wrap like you would the vetwrap around the foot, then wack a strip around the pastern and cut off access plastic bag!

A bit like this one (link below, pic halfway down the page) but my plastic bags often come just a bit higher and I tape under the pastern but not over the coronet band. (I had a destructive horse, it was the only way to keep the damned thing on so he could go out! He was a nightmare to keep in!)

http://phoenixhorse.myfastforum.org/archive/abscesses__o_t__t_1833.html

Ah ok, thinking I might be a little overcautious about this! With Doodle I just bagged and taped around the pastern but did have a boot on as well. Skylla has been a nuisance with chewing the poultice anyway so we may need heavy duty wrapping to survive the field :D.

that pic looks a bit like mine damnation although I tend to only duct tape the top round the pastern then I was cheating and putting a boot on when he was moving more anyway. I think you are potentially imagining pressure issues where needs must AH ;)

Yes abscesses do come out the top pretty frequently on bare horses - it doesn't seem to cause major issues other than them taking a bit longer to come out sometimes though I didn't think?

Boot and bag was what I did with Doodle, think it is easier than all the duct tape :D:eek:, but then again she also didn't move much when turned out, she was too horrified by all the mud :D.

No vet wasn't worried about it coming out topside, just it would be best if we could persuade it to come out the bottom as it's easier for it to drain and clear. Interesting it might be more common in barefoot ones though, Skylla's feet are that hard we were pretty convinced it wouldn't get through her sole :D.

Thanks everyone, will assess tonight and see if the munchkin can be released :).

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Can I have any more lovely tips?

I turned her out with bag on and lots of duct tape but she keeps taking just the bag off? Rest of the poultice is intact...

Tonight we've put a bag on then vet wrapped over it and then some duct tape, but if she gets this off I'm in a quandary unless I buy her a boot or horsecroz?

uncle max

Visit site
I found it impossible to find a boot that was either big enough so I could get it on, but not so big that the top of it couldn't fasten small enough to keep it on (but I only tried the plastic Shires one)
And Horsecroz were brilliant - until she moved, then the bits sticking up at the back stuck into her, and she tried to kick it off.. I went back to duct tape..

ihatework

Visit site
I got some cavello simples that were utterly useless as riding boots but made awesome poultice boots! Nappy, vetwrap and a bit of gaffa then boot over the top.
Kept my old boy out and moving when he kept abcessing

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Can I have any more lovely tips?

I turned her out with bag on and lots of duct tape but she keeps taking just the bag off? Rest of the poultice is intact...

Tonight we've put a bag on then vet wrapped over it and then some duct tape, but if she gets this off I'm in a quandary unless I buy her a boot or horsecroz?

my old mare used to do this as well funny aren't they, when she had laminitis she had hoof supports on for quite a few weeks then one morning I went outside to find she had got them off in the night, so I put them back on and she looked uncomfortable so I took them off again I think she knew that she would be more comfortable without them so she decided to take them off, I know it sounds ridiculous but that is what's happened.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I found it impossible to find a boot that was either big enough so I could get it on, but not so big that the top of it couldn't fasten small enough to keep it on (but I only tried the plastic Shires one)
And Horsecroz were brilliant - until she moved, then the bits sticking up at the back stuck into her, and she tried to kick it off.. I went back to duct tape..

Oh,and once mine could go out, the chewing and poultice removing stopped, which was a relief!

Chewing has continued into the field, darn baby horse :D. Bought more duct tape and have given up on the bag, might still investigate a boot or cruz but she's sound so I may just have to wait it out a little and it will be ok.

I got some cavello simples that were utterly useless as riding boots but made awesome poultice boots! Nappy, vetwrap and a bit of gaffa then boot over the top.
Kept my old boy out and moving when he kept abcessing

I have a feeling a boot will be chewed like the bag and duct tape, but will see what I can find. Typical that all Doodles stuff doesn't fit!

my old mare used to do this as well funny aren't they, when she had laminitis she had hoof supports on for quite a few weeks then one morning I went outside to find she had got them off in the night, so I put them back on and she looked uncomfortable so I took them off again I think she knew that she would be more comfortable without them so she decided to take them off, I know it sounds ridiculous but that is what's happened.

She was happier without the dressing originally but needs must and it did get the abscess out, but an interesting thought. Once I'm sure it's finished draining I will just pack and leave it :).

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

smja

Visit site
I use a nappy and duct tape, then add one or two overreach boots on top. Tape the boots shut, then tape the boots to the bandage. Basically looks like horse is wearing some kind of 80s moon boot :)

Old pony has those Shires plastic boots (he went straight through the canvas ones), worked pretty well.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Oh of course you have to leave it covered u til it's healed, she probably has never had anything put on her foot before being a baby

Haha yes sorry didn't mean to make it sound like you were advocating leaving it au natural :D.

I use a nappy and duct tape, then add one or two overreach boots on top. Tape the boots shut, then tape the boots to the bandage. Basically looks like horse is wearing some kind of 80s moon boot :)

Old pony has those Shires plastic boots (he went straight through the canvas ones), worked pretty well.

Ooo interesting tips with the overreach boots, thanks!

So we appear to have narrowed it down to the fact she doesn't approve of plastic bags on her feet :eek: :D. Leaving the bag off and just using vast quantities of duct tape has been the answer so far, plus we are sound and no longer draining pus :D, happy days all round! Going to give her a few more days before moving to just plugging the hole up :).

Thanks everyone you've been a great help, love this forum!