Skylla-von-yak update

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
So as Photobucket is not playing ball you will have to put up with video's only ;).

Skylla has now been brought back into light work after having a break from Oct-Jan, we are on restricted turnout so I think she's enjoying having stuff to do :).

We were having some almighty canter transition hysterics, bless her it was just a balance/ strength issue but she did get her knickers in a twist about it... Went back a pace and did a little lunge work, and after I was sure it was just a balance issue not anything else we cracked on. Initially only asking for the transition and then stright back to trot and this seems to have really worked, once she realised her legs wouldn't fall off if we cantered she came on leaps and bounds :D.

[video=youtube_share;PeWqMndm1e4]https://youtu.be/PeWqMndm1e4[/video]

Her trot work is also getting much more settled and more reliably into a steady contact, she did go through a phase before I turned her away of not wanting any contact so I'm pleased she's settling now. Also working on making our transitions smoother, as with the contact resistance we were a little abrupt/llama-like :eek:.

[video=youtube_share;TPK466MDXCE]https://youtu.be/TPK466MDXCE[/video]

She is still prone to coming back behind the vertical a touch, but as she gets stronger I'm hoping this will sort itself out. Overall I'm really pleased with her progress, need the weather to cheer up so I can start doing a little bit more with her and then find a nice quiet venue for our first dressage outing! She should, all being well, be coming up to my instuctors in Feb, so we see how she feels about being a human carrier away from home then. If she's as chilled as she has been at in-hand showing I think we should have a good summer :).

She's also been hacking at the weekends a couple of times, and even managed to hit the only snow shower we've had yet :D, she wasn't much of a fan of it going in her ears! Chilly stuff this frozen rain :D, also you may want to keep the sound off if you dont want to hear me sounding like a loon and beware the glare from my mum I think she could be seen from space :D:

[video=youtube_share;K1l7Qh7TvNU]https://youtu.be/K1l7Qh7TvNU[/video]

Which as she has now been clipped (the yak fuzz was just too much, after about 30 sec's she would be wet through), it is probably a shock to the system :D.

Thanks for watching x x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
She is looking really good after her little break I think it can do them a world of good when they are young, I bet you can't wait for the summer and get her out and about lots of exciting stuff to look forward to then, how doodle doing after her abscess?

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
She is looking really good after her little break I think it can do them a world of good when they are young, I bet you can't wait for the summer and get her out and about lots of exciting stuff to look forward to then, how doodle doing after her abscess?

It was mad I came back from 2 weeks in NZ in Novemeber and it was like who ate Skylla, she is so much stronger and more established after having a break! If it wasn't for the restricted turnout I'd probably left her longer until the weather was better, but it's good practise for her I suppose.

So excited for the summer, she's such a good girl I'm hoping she continues to be this uncomplicated as it's so nice after Topaz :D.

Doodle is doing really well thank you :), not that I've told her! Abscess seems to have cleared, we have no more puss any way, shoes off and she is the soundest she has been for months! Footy over stones so I've ordered her some rather swish equine fusion boots, so I'm hoping barefoot is the way forward. Just need her foot to grow back now so I can stop vet wrapping it to keep it clean!

x x

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
She's looking great. Hope you have a great summer. Love your mums outfit!

Thanks, :D she can be seen from space!!

She looks really good - have she grown again too?

That's a very...bright... hacking outfit your mum has! :D

Hmm no she is definitely not taller.... *sticks fingers in ears and refuses to acknowledge how tall she now is*

Will have to get the measuring stick out again, 'gulp' :eek:

:D mum likes it :D you can't say you cannot see her!

x x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I will look forward to hearing about what you both get up to over the coming months I am sure she will take it all in her stride she is so laid back, and I am glad Doodle is ok now I know you were worried about her I know she is retired from competition now but do still ride her at home?

joolie

Visit site
She looks a lovely sort :) if I remember correctly you were looking for livery around Chester - did you find anywhere in the end?

j1ffy

Visit site
Lol, I refer to my Indio as 'the yak' too ;) And Pocholo is 'the ewok'...

Skylla is looking great and I love the snow shower vid!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
She's looking good :)

Thank you I think she's doing well considering she's quite a late foal.

I will look forward to hearing about what you both get up to over the coming months I am sure she will take it all in her stride she is so laid back, and I am glad Doodle is ok now I know you were worried about her I know she is retired from competition now but do still ride her at home?

Yeah love her attitude to life after the ridiculousness of topaz :D.
So pleased with Doodle, just need her hoof boots to come now. Yes she was still in full work minus schooling until her injury last year. We've got back up to small canters a couple of times but then went lame again. I'm keeping everything crossed that barefoot plus boots we will get her back in work as she does so much better with a job to do!

She looks a lovely sort :) if I remember correctly you were looking for livery around Chester - did you find anywhere in the end?

Yes that was me, held off moving in the end until work sorted itself out, and we have a little longer left on our yard. This year we need to decide what to do though!

Glad she's going so well, please keep us posted on how she gets on when she goes out for her lesson!

Will do, will try and bully someone to take some pics/vids for me ;).

Lol, I refer to my Indio as 'the yak' too ;) And Pocholo is 'the ewok'...

Skylla is looking great and I love the snow shower vid!

Haha glad it's not just me :D, Skylla's winter coat is just bonkers it's that thick it goes swirly!

Thanks everyone :).

x x x