Sleep disorder

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
Speaking to a friend today and she mentioned she knew 2 horses with a sleep disorder.

They can't lock their knees, so if they doze off while standing up they fall over :confused:

Anyone know the name of it so I can look it up, or anyone got a horse with it, how do you manage it and is there a cure or a treatment?

cptrayes

Visit site
If it's narcolepsy, Tim Stockdale showed me a grey horse of his which had it. They had to be very careful handling it, as it fell sleep if they picked out its feet, but it was a top showjumper, forget its name, so it didn't affect its performance.

avthechav

Visit site
My mums horse does this but hers is sleep depravation not narcolepsy. When she is relaxed...normally when the farrier is doing her boyfriend...(we think that this is because she is always guarding him and can take a nap when this is happening), he front legs sort of buckle and she nods off and catches herself before she touches the ground, her back legs remain locked. Vet said it's often seen in older horses who are too stuff to get down and get their proper deep sleep or in horses in busy places like colleges where they are always stimulated! Interestingly since feeding hatty turmeric I haven't noticed it as much. Watch this space :)

mop

Visit site
i have two horse that started this 6 weeka ago Sleep depravation is not narcolepsy We have had tests for liver functio twice electrolytes herpes anemea cushings and heavy metals and all clear We are at a loss at what to do next

racebuddy

Visit site
My Tb sadly now been put to sleep went through a stage of sleep deprivation he liked a set routine , and he liked the doors shut that
Led to outside near his stable shut at night too , x

leggs

Visit site
just posted this in another thread but sleep disorder is not Always nacolepsy (in fact most of the times its not) http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.co...t-narcolepsy-horses-proceedings?rel=canonical

a common one is ulcers, when I started treatment for ulcers my horse started sleeping again (lying down herself in stead of collapsing) after 1 week of gastroguard. On the dutch forum there is a thread on ulcers >40 pages and many people find it is a common problemen, would paste the link but obviously the language would be a problem.