Sleep startles

Roxylola

Visit site
Bless her, she's not young either ?
I've got a beagle mix and I've never heard of it - would concern me that there might be some neurological issues underlying, bit like rage in spaniels

Birker2020

Visit site
Apparently : 'Sleep Startle' is something that can present in any breed but is especially prevalent in greyhounds. Greyhounds are typically raised in environments where they sleep alone from a very young age and would not be in a situation where they are woken from sleep by being touched.

Maybe that's where the expression 'let sleeping dogs lie' comes from?

Birker2020

Visit site
Never heard of these before, do many dogs have these or are they specific to Beagles.

I hope Molly gets an understanding home.

https://www.beaglewelfare.org.uk/dogs-for-rehoming/molly/
Can't imagine our dog would ever be like that.

When I get home from work/yard she's always upstairs asleep under the duvet and she hears me and comes down the stairs with a present (a sock or an empty toilet roll) and her eyes are half asleep as she's been fast asleep prior to my arrival. She always makes the effort to bring me something, bless her.

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
I had a little Google, I've always known that you shouldn't wake a dog that way although both of mine are wagging before they even open their eyes if I do. From personal experience beagles seem to prefer company, but I'd expect she'd need to be an only pet for safety. It's not that difficult in an adult house to just give your dog a minute to wake up, but with animals around (or small children) it's a bit different.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I also act aggressively when someone wakes me suddenly and I've known a few dogs to get a fright when woken from a deep sleep.
As a child I knew not to go near a sleeping dog and when I was too young to comprehend this, no dogs were put in the position where I was alone with them unsupervised. I don't think this is difficult.

I don't think there's much wrong with the dog, she's just been subjected to unrealistic expectations.

Jenko109

Visit site
I would expect any dog who is woken abruptly from a deep sleep to potentially do something out of character.

It's just common sense really isn't it. If you are woken abruptly, then you are disoriented. If you need to wake the dog up, then speak to him, giving him space, until he stirs.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I also act aggressively when someone wakes me suddenly and I've known a few dogs to get a fright when woken from a deep sleep.
As a child I knew not to go near a sleeping dog and when I was too young to comprehend this, no dogs were put in the position where I was alone with them unsupervised. I don't think this is difficult.

I don't think there's much wrong with the dog, she's just been subjected to unrealistic expectations.

Exactly surely the answer for the family that has her is to make sure that she always sleeps in her crate. I hate the way rescues decree that dogs that feel vulnerable must be the only dog in the household, ime they feel far more secure when part of a pack.