Sleeping in a 3.5T?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Since it looks like we will be doing at least 2 stay away shows next year, any tips for sleeping in a 3.5T?

Luton isn’t big enough for a human, so I’m guessing it will have to be horse area (or possibly cab? Not sure which is better…) It has 12V sockets and USB points in the tack area, so can boil a travel kettle and charge phones.

One of the dates is in February so am anticipating being pretty cold! Am thinking I could book hook up then use one of those plug converters to run an electric blanket?! Also have a little tent that I can see if will fit inside. Camp bed definitely will fit.

Or do I just give up on the whole idea and pay for off site accommodation? I prefer the idea of being close to the horse though…

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My overnight stuff lives on the luton through warmer months. My human stuff travels on the floor in the cab in trolley case.
I don't really 'do' camping, but put up with it for a couple of nights 2 or 3 times a year when visiting friends or doing an RC or training camp.

I have a camp bed which has a unrolled strip of carpet put out next to it. Duvet under and duvet over, plus sleeping bag...this all goes in the horse section once I've cleaned it up on arrival, plus opened partition as far back as I can. Covers over windows to keep heat in or light out, a camping Gaz does the job for early morning cuppa.
Take power pack to recharge phone if off grid.

ps, No way would I camp in mine in Feb, but am old and wimpy these days!

Green Bean

Visit site
I have thought a lot about this, but not actually done it yet. My thoughts are:
  • Hook up is essential if available, no matter the season (thinking fan in the summer too, charging devices, running lights, portable fridge etc)
  • Download a whole load of entertainment from Netflix and Amazon Prime as I assume no signal to be safe
  • Sleep in the horse area after a good clean. Off the ground camp bed with blowup mattress, duvets etc
  • I have made the back area quite comfortable with bench and back cushions as box didn't come with them and have a small 'TV dinner table' size table to eat on. I might attach a collapsible table to the low door between the horse and the back area (I don't have a separated area so this means I have more back space)
  • All sorts of cooking stuff (we have a touring caravan so I have access to all sorts of creature comforts, I don't do slumming - just a pity I can't tow the caravan behind the box but it has a twin axle so quite big)
  • I am in the process of making a back awning (no sides, just a roof) for my box and will buy those foam click together mats for its floor. This is for dining al fresco if the mood takes me😁
  • And of course, the essential for some, noise cancelling or white noise producing headset

Like the idea of an electric blanket ikmv
Like the idea about covering the windows, hadn't though of that one, thanks TFF

callybbi

Visit site
We have in both a van conversion and a coachbuilt. Always had hook up so had a heater, TV, Kettle, toaster, lights, chargers etc. We stayed in the horse area, with a huge throw on the floor to keep the heat in. Slept on camp beds with thick blanket to sleep on for cushioning, and duvets. Managed it this way for up to a week at a time :) x

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Thank you! I’m glad I’m not completely nuts to be considering it. The Feb trip will probably just be 1 night (at Aston), but Bramham in June will be 2-3 nights at least. If I can get the setup right, might do some BS stayaways too.

Like the idea of covering the windows, and a camping table. Not sure how much will fit in the back, as it’s a van conversion so fairly small, but I think a small table would… I’ve got plenty of duvets/blankets, and an oodie, so hopefully will be able to rig something up to be warm enough! Ive tent camped in March when it was cold enough for the tent to freeze over on the outside, it wasn’t the best experience but it was manageable 😂

sportsmansB

Visit site
I out a tarpaulin on the floor
Bin bags taped over the windows
If you have plug sockets defo electric blanket or blow heater for Feb, or put your tent up inside to trap the air.
I have a really deep air matress which works well, with a duvet below and on top and a sleeping bag too if necessary. Wooly hat in bed also

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Like the idea about covering the windows, hadn't though of that one, thanks TFF
Cheapest and most lazy option is to stick on 2 x 1inch (or bigger) velcro dots to the wall. Sew or glue same opposing ones to piece of material cut to size. Friend got a lined curtain and hacked that up for hers.
My 1st time camping in my little one, I wedged a saddle pad on one side (as window is over the outside locker), hooked a coat over the rear window and the small cab one too and swore about the 3rd window.....

I do miss having the bigger boxes - but only when it comes to staying away. So much more cheap to keep and run a 3.5 than the 7.5's or 18t+

Suncat

Visit site
I've camped out a fair bit in my van-conversions, I've used an electric blanket (running off a 12v leisure battery) successfully to warm up my camp bed in cold weather - hot water bottles are excellent then (once the blanket is out) to keep your feet warm too - in cold weather getting into an already warm bed makes a huge difference to staying warm. Thermal leggings, socks and a base layer and a good sleeping bag and blankets will keep you toasty.
My van is well insulated, so ok even when frosted outside. A camping stove and/or heating converter will give you a fast boast of heat when needed for changing, etc.

I have a folding camp bed (ie off the floor), with a foil insulating mat and then an air mattress, to stop the cold from the floor transferring into the bed. As above, the first thing I do once the horses is unloaded is sluice the horse area with cleaner to clean and get rid of the worst of the smell! A picnic blanket with a damp proof backing makes a great carpet for the horse (bedroom) space.

My van has storage/benches over the rear wheel arches, I use one as a table and just take a folding chair.

GreyDot

Visit site
My biggest issue whenever contemplating sleeping in my 3.5t is that the door only locks from the outside. There is lockable door between tack area and horse area, but the door on the back only locks from outside. So I could lock myself in, but tack area would be unlocked.

Coblover63

Visit site
I camped in my trailer at Somerford at the end of October a few years back so it was pretty nippy at night. Got some of those interlocking lightweight mats for the floor so that I could walk around in my socks without getting dirty feet, plus it added a bit of insulation. Had an electric hook-up so that I could run a camping fan heater and an electric throw (both low wattage) I also bought a zed bed with a thin mattress as I find air beds get too cold. And a pop up tent inside the trailer with the bed inside so that the warm air from the heater was contained. It all worked a treat.

Annagain

Visit site
Put the tent inside, it'll provide another layer of insulation and will help keep all your stuff clean (or away from the lorry floor at least). Put a fleecy blanket / duvet underneath you as well as plenty of layers over the top and wear lots of layers yourself so you can take them off / put them on accordingly. Take as many hot water bottle as you have - warm the sleeping bag up before you get in and at the last minute refill them and get into bed with them. If you can access the travel kettle from bed (safely) it helps as if you wake up cold in the night you can refill your hot water bottle (refill the kettle after the last fill of hot water bottles before going to bed) without getting up and cooling down even further. If not, filling them with hot water and putting them in a cool bag can keep them warm for a good few hours, especially if you have critical mass - hence taking as many as you have.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I camped in a horsebox in March and it was freezing. The Trec people say they put up a tent inside the trailer/lorry which sounds like a good idea.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
we done this. Good brush out horse area, few buckets disenfectant water, tarp on floor. Cut up yoga mats on windows, if cut to size will stay there with some gaffer tape. Camp beds or double blow up mattress, yoga mats underneath for warmth. Warm bedding depends on time of year, we did it in April the earliest,
porta loo in a tent outside, we had a single gas ring and a sink in grooms area, we did do a few trips with a pop up tent inside lorry. Thats warmer in spring time. In summer we were like in a sauna. lol.. No horses now. Lad bought a camper van instead

Last edited:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Definitely tarp, carpet or floor covering of some sort. I found a camp bed, plus duvet and blankets a must, I find airbed’s cold. I put wee curtains up with Velcro as suggested above.

Lots of good suggestions above, I camped in my old box loads including a v chilly October comp. Didn’t have any hook up or mod cons, but found most comp centres have showers and loos.

Landcruiser

Visit site
If you have an Oodie they are a game changer. I've done TREC for years and most of that has been sleeping in my trailer. I don't bother with a sleeping bag these days. I have thick EVA mats on the floor, then my fold up bed, then a self inflating mattress wrapped in a woolly blanket. I wear my Oodie with the hood up, and use a normal quilt over me. Woolly bedsocks too. Toasty, with the advantage that if you need a pee your Oodie keeps you warm. I hang a nice bright lamp somewhere I can reach it. I also have a camping stove/kettle for morning cups of tea.
I agree about a tent if it's really cold - I've never bothered but I recently bought a cheap pop up one which I plan to try out at some point.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
If you have an Oodie they are a game changer. I've done TREC for years and most of that has been sleeping in my trailer. I don't bother with a sleeping bag these days. I have thick EVA mats on the floor, then my fold up bed, then a self inflating mattress wrapped in a woolly blanket. I wear my Oodie with the hood up, and use a normal quilt over me. Woolly bedsocks too. Toasty, with the advantage that if you need a pee your Oodie keeps you warm. I hang a nice bright lamp somewhere I can reach it. I also have a camping stove/kettle for morning cups of tea.
I agree about a tent if it's really cold - I've never bothered but I recently bought a cheap pop up one which I plan to try out at some point.
have found the front pocket of the oodie makes a good holder for a hot water bottle too!

I’ve got a 1-2man tent which I think I’ll try to fit in when the lorry arrives to see if that will work. Also already own a camp bed which will be off the floor. Can probably locate some kind of old rug/tarp/old curtains from my parents collection of junk 😂

If it’s looking to be really cold I’m sure I can find somewhere off site to stay 🤞🏼

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I’ve only camped in summer but one July it was cold wet and windy. I was cosy in my pop up tent inside my Renault Master.
Tarpaulin on floor, mattress, actually a garden lounger one, inside tent and sleeping bag. I wore a sweater and old fashioned trakkie bottoms.
I expect you’d need more for winter though, possibly a woolly hat too.

Boulty

Visit site
If you’re sleeping in horse area would advise some camping carpet or at least some old rugs to cover the floor. A thick self inflating sleeping mat with some foam padding as well as air (at least 7 if not 10cm) will keep you better insulated than an airbed. Either a folding camp bed frame or an inflating frame (decathlon do a good one) to keep you off the floor may help with warmth and comfort but might not be worth it if only a few times a year.

A decent sleeping bag rated to minus temps will be way warmer than a duvet.

Would also recommend either a onesie or oodie type thing to help with warmth. (The equidry equiblankets look really good as well)

Tent inside horse area can also make a difference for keeping warmer.

pistolpete

Visit site
I slept in one once and worst was the issue of not being able to shut the door from the inside. Had a bit of baling string looped to inside but was still a draught! It wasn’t a comfy night!

asmp

Visit site
From experience of sleeping in a trailer I echo some of the above posts - however cold you think it’s going to be it will feel colder. 🥶🥶🥶

MissTyc

Visit site
I love sleeping in my 3.5. I swing the partition away to get more space, put down a thick groundsheet and have an elevated mattress bed. Winter camping kit but I always get too hot overnight and s usually end up with just my duvet and a fleece blanket. I have a hookup socket on a reel which I pass through the window to get some leccy, but usually don't need it. Top tip is magnetic battery LED lights with motion sensor which I pop in strategic locations to have light as needed but without them waking me up if I move in the night.

little_critter

Visit site
I’ve slept in the horse area of my 3.5t twice now. It was colder than I was expecting and I was doing it over August bank holiday.
If you have a camp bed that might help, I was on roll mats on the floor. An electric blanket sounds like an excellent idea.

welshstar

Visit site
Camped in mine at the riding club champs eventing where it was cold and very wet! We put a camping mat down which filled the full floor area, it was fleecey on top and foil underneath. Then got decent camp beds with air mattresses on top. I then took a double duvet and caccooned myself in it. Honestly slept absolutely amazing!

Orangehorse

Visit site
I find air beds cold, and generally they deflate overnight so you end up on the floor anyway.

I had a hanging camping lantern that runs on batteries and has a remove so it can be turned off from the bed.
That picture looks rather cosy. I always too a portable radio too, can't miss the news!

Visit site
I used to sleep in the horse area of my 3.5. You should be prepared to accept the stench - I have grown up around horse manure but despite cleaning the horse area as thoroughly as possible, nothing prepared me for the smell of sleeping where he had pooped!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I used to sleep in the horse area of my 3.5. You should be prepared to accept the stench - I have grown up around horse manure but despite cleaning the horse area as thoroughly as possible, nothing prepared me for the smell of sleeping where he had pooped!

I didn’t notice any smell. The tarpaulin on the floor and me inside the pop up tent but my pony has never staled in the horsebox. ( I hope that’s not tempting fate. )

I find air beds cold, and generally they deflate overnight so you end up on the floor anyway.

I had a hanging camping lantern that runs on batteries and has a remove so it can be turned off from the bed.
That picture looks rather cosy. I always too a portable radio too, can't miss the news!
Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the air conduct the chill from the floor faster than a mattress?