Sleeping it off

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
DD64571D-6BFB-43C4-A00E-88D9A23FEA62.jpeg

The elderly JRT has been giving us some concern lately. He has become a little reluctant to eat his meals recently, but we put that down to faddiness as he has form for that. When he wouldn’t/couldn’t eat the pigs ear that he gets as a distraction when we get a Sainsbury’s home delivery, it was time to take him to the vet. Vet couldn’t find anything obviously wrong, but saw that he was struggling to yawn. TMJ (jaw) arthritis was suspected, and he was put on metacam plus an antibiotic to clear his dog breath.

He went back today for a third vet visit, this time as a day case, for a head x ray and blood panel. X rays are clear (phew), the blood panel is good, but some shards of bone (most likely from his self caught bunny takeaways) were found lodged in between his teeth causing ulceration of his tongue. This has now all been sorted, along with a good clear out of tartar, and vet is hopeful that he will be much more comfortable now.

He is now sleeping the sedation off back at home. We’re hoping for a few more years yet out of the little bugger (he’s 15).

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
He's a great age! Was going to say teeth or ears, glad you got sorted. Mine is eating very slowly due to a sore ear at the moment, crunching and chewing is very ouchy for him, so soaking his kibble also.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, all. I’d wondered if he had a tooth abscess so I wasn’t too far out. He’s still rather tottery this evening, but has managed a pick at some home cooked chicken and rice. He is letting us all know that he has been very brave and needs a lot of cuddles, please.

3A32E21B-8EA9-4F4D-A340-A7015C38AE6A.jpeg

GS, I didn’t know that about metacam and dogs. He’s on that and gabapentin atm, but hopefully just for another week.

ETA He’s just been retrieved from upstairs. He is not allowed upstairs, though that never stops him, of course.

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
He's a great age! Was going to say teeth or ears, glad you got sorted. Mine is eating very slowly due to a sore ear at the moment, crunching and chewing is very ouchy for him, so soaking his kibble also.
I hope that your lad is more comfortable now, it’s horrid seeing them in discomfort, isn’t it.

The JRT refused breakfast this morning. I bought him some Chappie today and he has eaten part of that tonight. He does seem more comfortable generally even though he’s not eating much, at least he is not pulling faces any more. He is bound to have some residual discomfort, but I’m hoping that it’s short lived.

He’s keen to get a takeaway, though, this is him checking for bunnies in the hay barn tonight. None present, sadly for him (but not for them).

378FE0AD-D4EC-455C-8E51-AE5A013AF4A2.jpeg

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I hope that your lad is more comfortable now, it’s horrid seeing them in discomfort, isn’t it.

The JRT refused breakfast this morning. I bought him some Chappie today and he has eaten part of that tonight. He does seem more comfortable generally even though he’s not eating much, at least he is not pulling faces any more. He is bound to have some residual discomfort, but I’m hoping that it’s short lived.

He’s keen to get a takeaway, though, this is him checking for bunnies in the hay barn tonight. None present, sadly for him (but not for them).

View attachment 37880

Great pic. It might even just be the memory of pain that's making him a bit more reluctant to wolf it all down!

Mine is in good form, it's me that's depressed about it!! Started steroids and strong antibiotics and drops for a week on Tuesday, the ear is still crusty and sore but there's a lot less heat in it today. His foot looks much better although I wouldn't trust him not to chew it yet (he took part of his pad off) so still daily washing and powdering and wrapping. And the sore on his back leg is drying up/being left alone. Vet thinks it's just a generic infection of some sort. Doesn't help that he can detect very small bits of pill in his dinner lol...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I spoke to my vet at length re Rimadyl/meta am and unless it’s a good long time, the stomach tends to cope ok. Big dog was on long term Rimadyl and never showed any signs of stomach issues. The vet did say he’d do blood tests occasionally if it were very long term.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I spoke to my vet at length re Rimadyl/meta am and unless it’s a good long time, the stomach tends to cope ok. Big dog was on long term Rimadyl and never showed any signs of stomach issues. The vet did say he’d do blood tests occasionally if it were very long term.
Thanks. I will chat to my vet about it if he needs to be on Metacam long term. He’s also got four more gabapentin capsules to take daily along with the Metacam.

I can report that today, 3 days after he was at the vets, he seems to be back to his normal terriorist ways. He hasn’t been up for a walk til today, when despite the weather (we are awash after 24 hour of heavy rain) he insisted that I took him out.

4A6B37E1-0651-4524-9FE3-5402E9CAAEDD.jpeg

This is on the lane we walk along...

5663FF55-7E7F-43F1-AEA5-D8F00FB46D30.jpeg

He is eating again, though he’s still on chicken and rice. Here he’s licking out the foil from the baked salmon we had last night. I think he may continue to hold out for nicer food rather than go back his kibble. We shall see.
58FFE6AD-CB08-48DD-86C5-33F852525BF7.jpeg

Ester, the camera must flatter our kitchen flooring - it’s a rather ancient vinyl IRL :D.

Last edited: