Slight rant

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Right...so last night got to the yard to find SWUO already in.It's a fully DIY yard,and you hardly ever see anyone cos we all go up at different times.
Ordinarily I'd have been happy for her to be brought in with her field buddy as she stresses without this horse.
However.......went into her stable to find she had neither food nor water(despite a bucket being in there) and the little love a little upset.
frown.gif

Does it really take too long just to go fill a bucket up?I don't leave water standing in buckets all day as I like her to have it fresh,so fill it up when I bring her in......but I would never dream of leaving someone elses horse without the basic necessities!They may not have known what to give her food wise but could atleast have given her a drink
frown.gif

I do appreciate them bringing her in,and know it was done with the best of intentions...but even so,I'm a little narked about her having no water
crazy.gif

madgirl

Visit site
Yup agree tht is very nnoying. Luckily we have automatic drinkers at my yard bt if that was done to my horse I would be a tad peed of!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Got to admit SD, that I've done this in the past - and had it done to me - and really don't see a problem.

Horse isn't going to immediately dive in to a bucket of water - and standing without any hay for a while won't hurt.

Each to their own obviously, but I'm sure someone thought that they were being helpful.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I'd be more bothered if mine had been left out to stress and possibly injure herself out in the field on her own. It would have been nice if at least a bucket of water had been put in for her (which is what I would have done), although as previously said it wouldn't hurt for a short while.

Sooty

Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much. It used to be common practice to leave horses without water and only water them occasionally, the idea of a bucket in the stable is a relatively new one. I am sure she won't have suffered unduly. I actually prefer to leave the water in the bucket all day as it gives the chlorine a chance to dissipate, and the horses seem to prefer older water. It gets changed in the morning and they come in in the evening. We have two water containers in the field, and they will always drink from the half full one in preference to the new one!

_OC_

Visit site
It depends if all the owners get on well,at my yard we would just do it ......if I brought horse in because it was the last left I would make up a small hay net and do a bucket of water......but, then as I said we our a small yard and all help each other and I guess the person who brought in was helping at the end of the day.....I think you would have been more upset had they not!.....I guess some people just don't think...tricky!

Sparklet

Visit site
I must admit sometimes I'm in the position where I feel I have to bring a staggler in from the field to prevent him/her stressing. Even though it means an additional trip to the field (a distance away) in the dark I do so willingly because I know the same person will not leave mine and I am grateful for that.

If I leave my stable without water and a net then I consider it my problem but they are rarely stood for longer than 30 mins without before I arrive and see to them.

Perhaps your do-gooder might be better leaving your pony out. If I thought the extra trip would result in my having to hay and water then I would be tempted to leave the horse in the field.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Thats not on. I know some of you are saying its better than leaving it out. But really, how long does it take to fill a bucket of water? A horse IMO should ALWAYS ALWAYS have access to water and also some sort of food (hay / haylage). Unless you want your horse to get colic......

This is exactly why I couldn't keep my horses on livery - that would irritate me so badly because its the welfare of my horse at stake, especially if they didnt even know what time Id be there!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A horse IMO should ALWAYS ALWAYS have access to water and also some sort of food (hay / haylage). Unless you want your horse to get colic......

[/ QUOTE ]

What absolute rubbish.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Have to say, I would feel exactly the same. It doesn’t take 2 mins to feel a water bucket and chuck a handful of hay! I would if it was anybody else’s horse!

JACQSZOO

Visit site
I've had it done to me and I've done it to others. I would add that I would never leave a horse without feed and water if I didnt know when the owner would be arriving, however if I know the owner is going to be down within the next hour or so I really dont see a problem at all.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Thing is,I don't know how long she was in for.
I'm probably just being a bitch.I do appreciate her bringing the pony in,would just have preferred her to have atleast in drink in with her.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thing is,I don't know how long she was in for.
I'm probably just being a bitch.I do appreciate her bringing the pony in,would just have preferred her to have atleast in drink in with her.

[/ QUOTE ]
I understand your concern and perhaps in future to put your mind at rest it would be a good idea jsut to leave a bucket of water in the stable, you can always change it again when you arrive.
smile.gif

welshcobabe

Visit site
I know I can be a bit picky at times but I would thankful that they had brought her in. The fact that the horse had no water would not matter for a few hours. When I was a child our shires used to work from 8 till 12.00 they got feed and water at lunch time then worked another 4 hours until the next drink and something to eat. They all lived till very old age and I dont remember any having colic.
laugh.gif

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
I can see your point, but IMO she was less likely to come to harm being brought in to a stable with no feed/water, than being left to stress in the field. Perhaps you could do your water in the morning in future (you could alway put a bucket cover on it, to keep it clean) and maybe leave a haynet in her stable ready, if it bothers you that much.

At our yard we always bring the last horse in (unless it is known to be happy out on its own), but the neighbouring livery yard don't and there are regularly horses left galloping round the field on their own in the dark, yelling their heads off. My point being be grateful and put measures in place so she will always have water/feed if that is your preferance, as next time may be she won't be brought in for fear of upsetting you.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
Seems abit out of order...

I would definitely have put some water in as it's verging on cruel to lock the poor mite up with any access to water, and even though they couldn't reallistically given her a hard feed, I would have at least stuck some hay in for her to munch on.

annaellie

Visit site
I know how you feel I had my filly on DIY on the yd i worked on but was taking my daughter out for the day one of the freebies we got as staff was free full livery for indvidual days I done her on the fri night and she was on full liv on the sat and sorted out on the sun morning due to me teaching till 3 in the afternoon. As soon as I finished I went straight to see her and she was bouncing around the stable when I looked no water at all, I went to see the girl that done her just to make sure someone was not redoing the water and she said you should be gratefull I forgot to put in and why should you and other staff get extras when I do not cause I do not have a horse its not my problem that it had no water for most of the weekend is it. I went into a huge rant at her lets say my language was not apropate but my op is the main thing they have is water even if you do not muck out for a day food and water at all times.

JACQSZOO

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Seems abit out of order...

I would definitely have put some water in as it's verging on cruel to lock the poor mite up with any access to water, and even though they couldn't reallistically given her a hard feed, I would have at least stuck some hay in for her to munch on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thing verging on cruel is OTT. A couple of hours without water will do them no harm at all.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Thats a tad different (being left with no water most of the weekend) to pony being brought in to stand in stable for maybe a hour till owner arrives.

annaellie

Visit site
I know its a lot different but It is annoying I mean for a few hours then thats fine but if ever I bring someones horse in I always put a least half a bucket in if its got none it only takes a few minutes.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
A horse IMO should ALWAYS ALWAYS have access to water and also some sort of food (hay / haylage). Unless you want your horse to get colic......

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah well, whilst that would be the ideal situation, it's not always possible; consider a climate like ours, where it doesn't rain for the best part of 6 months and nothing grows. PF always has water and gets fed twice a day... that's it. She had colic twice where she was turned out all day, and never at this yard. Neither have any of the other horses.. Ah no, there was a miniature pony that was being constantly stuffed full of grain, but I blame the owners for that!
Whilst it would've been more considerate for the person bringing SWUO to give her some hay and water (I would've because I prefer to do a job properly) it wasn't for very long and perhaps time just didn't allow.

Tempi

Visit site
so you are saying that when i leave my horse standing in her stable with no water/hay whilst i ride my other one she is going to get colic? give me a break!! shes perfectly happy snuffling in her bed and watching over her door, and never drinks from her buckets straight away once ive finished riding her and put her back in her stable...........

Kelly1982

Visit site
I'm with Amymay, it wont hurt her if she wasn't in long and if she has enough water in the field she probably didn't want a drink anyway.

My horse gets brought in 2 hours before i get there and she doesn't get any hay til i get there and she only has the night befores water and she is always ok.

I also wouldn't think about checking horses water if i knew the owner was gonna be up soon.

Sooty

Visit site
When you think that horses were originally desert creatures (hence why they hate rain is my theory) they must have been fed very much along those lines most of the time. As so often happens, human interference has made them more dependent and less hardy.