Slight rant

shadowboy

Visit site
To say its verging on cruel is ovet the top i would say, there have been many times where someone had brought my horse in for the farrier and he would wait in the sable sometimes for over an hour till it was his turn with no hay or water- he never had colic or suffered. Its not summer now (if it had been hot it would have been a different issue) My mums horse when doing wedding drives may not have had access to water for quite a few hours, they were always fine. I would be happy that someone had brough my horse in rather than leaving it pacing up and down for hours outside- and i bet while pacing stressed it would not have stopped to drink. But this is just my opinion.

Tia

Visit site
My stables are all made up in the morning so if anything were to happen and I couldn't make it back then I could phone someone and ask if they could bring the horses in for me and they wouldn't have to do anything and the horse would be catered for.....but that never happens - I'm always back as all the horses are in my charge. It is different for you as you livery there.

I have to say; so many times on here I have seen people rant and rave because some kindly person has brought their horse in, given it some hay, and are met with a barrage of "they fed my horse - how dare they!!" If I was the person bringing the horse in on your yard then I would have made sure it had water.......however for those who don't check this, I wouldn't say there was any problem with not giving the horse water. Considering how long horses can go without water, it really wouldn't be a big deal to me if someone were to bring one of mine in and not give hay or water.

Everyone has different ideas and what bugs one person, the opposite would bug another. Sometimes people just can't win.
crazy.gif

RobinHood

Visit site
This is the main reason why i'm so happy the YO installed automatic drinkers. If for any reason my horse was ever brought in without me knowing I know there is water in the stable, and the same goes for all the other horses at the yard.

Sooty

Visit site
Maybe you didn't realise that it is not as important as we are led to believe to have a constant supply of water. It certainly was not something I was aware of until about ten years ago! Also, when you are looking after someone else's pony I think you do worry more about getting it absolutely right. I would be tempted to put a bucket of water in the stable in the morning, for your own peace of mind. That is not meant to sound patronising, I honestly didn't realise how long horses could go without water!