Slight smelly sweat cheesy cocker ears

indie999

Visit site
Ok my previously healthy 6 year old cocker got sore between paws and was put on antibiotics which cleared it up. His ears smelt slightly...vet checked no discharge etc

Now we have one small area on paw that is watery looking under skin. So I have hibiscrubed and now surgical spirit the affected bit.

But its the ears..no discharge but they smell cheesy. So I alcohol rub the outside with a cotton pad and canesten cream the outer ear once a day.
I cant see any mites at all and they look clean but they do smell yeasty.

I did change my dogs diet from chappie chicken and rice to batchelors tripe and chicken? is that the cause?

Any ideas of what I can do with the ears and paw? I dont know if its the wet weather as usually I walk my dog every day in long grass etc. But since all this he hasnt been out at all.

Any tips advice etc. I was thinking of giving him the antifungal canesten tablet to see if that would sort the ears??????

Vicstress

Visit site
Have you not just tried some ear drops? And tie his ears up with a scrunchie for a few hours a day to get some air in!

twiglet84

Visit site
The paws and ears could be dietary related. Was the previous food no good? Can u not change back? I would get your vet to check those ears and take a swab to see which (if any) medicated ear treatment is needed before putting anything down them. X x

BabyA

Visit site
Clip the whole inside of his ears out, I have two springers who suffer with canker ear but If they're clipped out the air circulates around better and it helps keep on top of it.
Holding the ears up with a hairband is a good idea but my vet warned me against doing this incase something ends up inside the ear ( he knows what kind of luck I have! ) Im not saying that your cocker has canker ear but if his ears are clipped out it may help!

indie999

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I did go to the vet about 2 weeks ago and he put him on antibiotics which also could have knocked his immune system (its common for humans to get thrush with antibiotics etc) But I will switch his diet back to chappie chick and rice(it smells v fishy this food but the vets think its good I know police dogs have it but he had started to leave it). My family kept telling me he doesnt like it anymore so.....I switched as below.

So he loves the new batchelors and gobbles this up so I thought he was fed up with Chappie but it could be the damp weather as well., Lots of things. i will try the diet.

he has just been clipped so his ears are really furless. But thank you for the replies. I will probably end up back at vets. I am completely puzzled as he is just such a healthy dog usually.

But thanks for replying.

Sandstone1

Visit site
You would probably be better to feed a good quality dry food, maybe skinners? Take him back to the vet as trying to treat ear infections etc yourself could cause more problems. Surgical spirit will really sting sorefeet!