Slightly lame cat?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The formerly-stray-but-now-officially-ours black cat goes to the vets next week for a feline senior citizen check up and first jabs.

I think that she looks rather stiff on the hard ground, much better on the grass. It is not very easy to trot up a cat ?. Is this worth mentioning to the vet, or is this normal for cats to be cautious on rough ground? She's well in herself. She'll be age 10+ years, her previous owners took her in as a pregnant stray of unknown age 8 years ago.

HashRouge

Visit site
I don't think she looks too bad. What are her claws like? That would probably be the first thing to check, as older cats often don't wear them down as much so might be that she has at least some that need clipping. We have to do this now with our boy (15 yo).

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Definitely mention it to the vet. Kasper has needed veterinary treatment twice due to lameness but both times it was sorted and wouldn't have got better on its own (Lyme disease that needed antibiotics and a deep wound at the base of his tail that was infected).

I found that the best way to trot up a cat is with a lunge whip, but you have the whip in front of the cat. It's not easy especially if you have a 'helper'. Having said that DB is sound is Kasper was low level lame in this video so you can see how fluidly a sound cat should move.

SOS

Visit site
I think she looks a bit sore. Check her toes thoroughly for grass seeds or an abcess brewing. I it’s chronic - Lots of cats get arthritis, unfortunately it’s a lot less recognised than in dogs and people think cats are just “getting old and pottery”. :(

I would speak to your vet who may suggest a pain trial - if she’s much better you know there is chronic low level pain there. Don’t be fobbed off with supplements, they are for support before and during not instead of pain relief.

She is a little podgy… which can indicate arthritis as they move less but may also contribute to her waddley pace.

fiwen30

Visit site
I agree with SOS - she does look a bit pottery and resistant. I would give claws, pads, and between toes a proper look first, and then try a pain relief trial. Our own older lady was at the vet a few days ago with suspected arthritis from a bit of a waddle and a reluctance to jump, which was confirmed by the vet. She has just started on an anti-inflammatory to see how she gets on. There is also a brand new treatment for cats to help with arthritis called Solensia, which is an injection given every few months. The dog version is Librela which has been around for a bit longer, and people absolutely swear by it.

Arthritis can get so easily overlooked in cats, it’s great that you spotted something ‘off’ with her so quickly!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Thanks, all, for your comments and advice :).

I'll have a good look at her paws and claws, and will definitely mention my concerns to the vet at her check up next week.

She used to be a very active cat. Well before she moved in with us we'd see her ranging far and wide over the surrounding countryside, but now she just potters about. We'll get her as comfortable as we can. There's nothing sinister on her vet records in her previous ownership.

SEL

Visit site
I trotted mine up for the vet (who is a small animal vet and slightly confused by my 'slightly lame on near hind' comment). We shut all his doors and windows and put her at the other end of the exam room to her cat basket - which she trotted back to in a hurry. Decided she had tweaked something and she should rest. Let out of cat basket at home and disappeared over 6 foot fence in 2 bounds.