Slimming World?

flosskins

Visit site
How can it work? I understand you are cutting out the fat and processed food from your diet but seriously, if I have free rein to eat as much pasta, potato and lean meat as I want I am going to end up the size of a house. Surely it still must come down to using more calories than you eat?

Equi

Visit site
It really does work I've been doing it for years and if you stick to it it works. Lots of veg is encouraged you can't just eat a plate of potatoes you have to have 1/3 of the plate veg and another 1/3 protine and if you want seconds you have to stick to that ratio.

DJ

Visit site
I don`t know how but it does, trust me. I don`t do the latest plan which is called "extra easy" ... I`m a fan of the old 'Red' or 'Green' days as I prefer having the extra Healthy A and B choices, but it works. I lost over 5 stone on it over all, and I find it easy to stick to, and have now been around target weigh for 3 years ... give or take a few pounds, but when I creep back up I just jump back on it 100% for 4 weeks or so and I`m back where I was.

Now I like my food, and I didn`t originally get to being nearly 15 stone by not eating LOADS lol ... but with this plan I can stll eat and feel full, and have treats that actually make it worth it ... :)

Louby

Visit site
I did the old red and green version too and lost nearly 2 stone. Its great as because you can eat you dont feel deprived. I was never hungry, ate some concoptions though :) but only so I could save all my sins for my Friday boozy night out!

gunnergundog

Visit site
How can it work? I understand you are cutting out the fat and processed food from your diet but seriously, if I have free rein to eat as much pasta, potato and lean meat as I want I am going to end up the size of a house. Surely it still must come down to using more calories than you eat?

I am in my 60s and have never done slimming clubs before in my life as have always (up until relatively recently) had the willpower and physical ability to abstain from food and exercise more. HOWEVER.... having lost my old horse last year, I was horse hunting and struggling to find what I wanted at a price I could afford. I then decided that I would need to buy a four year old and MAKE the horse I wanted.....something I have done many times over, but when much younger, much lighter and more flexible. Sooo............operation lose weight began! I did one stone on my own and then joined slimming world. I am now just 3lbs short of having lost FOUR stone and am close to what I weighed when I competed at 3 star in the 70s and had to carry a lot of lead!! :)

It works because the pasta you are allowed to eat as a freebie is dried and not fresh; it works because the potato you eat is boiled, baked or chipped a la slimming world with low cal oil spray and it works because the meat is lean and cooked without additional fat! You are allowed to graze on free foods....this REALLY suits me!

I started going to a meeting in my village which was 100 yards from my house....not quite to my taste....loads of clapping when you reach a target etc etc etc. However, met some nice new people that I had never encountered before ....THANK YOU FIONA WHEN YOU CAUGHT ME EYEING UP THAT FLAPJACK IN THE VILLAGE SHOP!..... but now I do the online version. The large weekly weight loss has now reduced to a pound a week, but hey!, this has now become a way of life....pass the puke bucket!....and as long as I am going in the overall right direction I am happy! My arthritis has improved significantly, I have bought a swimsuit....first for over ten year!...and christened it last week! :)

If you want to lose weight without due over exertion I would give slimming world a shot. I haven't tried weight watchers (or any others) so they may be as good, but can't endorse from personal experience....and I am the biggest cynic out! :)

Fallenrose

Visit site
It does work - I've had friends and family members do it with much success. I've just started it myself and can't believe how easy it is. It's definitely working.

I think it's partly physiological - you focus on all the food you can have - the free food, healthy extras etc and this fills you up so you don't want anything else! I was previously having toast, butter and jam for breakfast. Now I have a quorn sausage sandwich or egg on toast which, in my head, is more than before, but if you analysis it, it is less fat and sugar.

I did have one friend that it didn't work for. She said the free food aspect of it made her greedy and she had massive portions sizes (didn't stop when she was full). But no one diet will work for everyone; we are all different!

Charlie007

Visit site
It definitely does work!! I lost 5.5 stone in 11 months and have kept it off for nearly 2 years. As long as you eat ' free food's you really can eat as much as you like. The recipes that you cook from scratch are so quick and easy x

rowan666

Visit site
Can I hijack and ask how long it takes everyone to shed a stone on this diet?
I need to lose 2stone so I can get on the kids sec A, without going hungry, I love food far too much and have no self control but need to shed the weight by feb ideally

Notimetoride

Visit site
Ooooh dear , I think im in the minority here. I joined SW about a month ago. Nice and local, just across the road and was all positive, having heard such good reports. However the night I joined I just thought 'What am I doing here?' It was very clicky - the leader was arranging nights out etc with her friends whilst giving me my initial joining consultation which i found quite rude. When people were leaving, many were saying to her 'Love you' when they were leaving(???) I then had to stay for the meeting and was shocked to find it lasted an hour (I had a hungry horse waiting). It was really weird, like an awards ceremony, handing out certificates and clapping for people who had lost weight. Really, i just didnt fit in. Anyway, i gave it a bash. Read all the books, even spent a tenner on a big directory, and in a month lost 2lbs. I should add that in previous years i have had success with Weight Watchers but just became bored with it.
I am also forming the same opinion as the OP that eating loads of carbs is only going to make me GAIN weight unless i go running to burn off the extra carbs.
So no, im not a fan. The diet is really confusing, seems to go against everything we are ever taught, and my local class is weird.
Tonight i have uploaded the My Fitness Pal app which has brilliant reviews, and is REALLY simple. Far more control over it and it is actually logical. Reduce your calories = weight loss. Simples !

tinycharlie

Visit site
I used to go to slimming world classes, though I would weigh in and leave,I could never be bothered to stay for the meeting. I think I'd rather do it online though I'm a bit loath to pay £60 a month to do so. I did have some success with it though, I think I'll try and purchase the books and go it alone! I really want to start riding and eventually get a horse but the weight really does need to come off first, only trouble is I have zero willpower or motivation! 😁

Tiffany

Visit site
It does work and the class leader is always a successful SW member so they are proof it works. The leader does make a difference to the class but in a nutshell it's about not mixing carbs with protein and cutting out fat. I lost 5lb in first week and 1 stone in a month.
It's a healthy eating plan rather than a diet and once you get into it, its very easy but you do need to plan your meals and have plenty of free foods in for when you are hungry.

Tiffany

Visit site
Can I hijack and ask how long it takes everyone to shed a stone on this diet?
I need to lose 2stone so I can get on the kids sec A, without going hungry, I love food far too much and have no self control but need to shed the weight by feb ideally

If you stick to the SW eating plan you can lose 2 stone in 2 months and without going hungry

flosskins

Visit site
So on the extra easy plan can you literally eat what you want from the free foods - eg chicken, pasta etc, or do you have to do specific portions?

exmoorponyprincess1

Lanarkshire Lass trying out Somerset for size :)
Visit site
There is no portion control and in theory it says you can eat as much free food as you like (so long as 1/3rd of your plate is "super free" eg fruit/veg and you stick to lean meat and dried pasta, boiled potatoes etc etc on the other 2/3rds of your plate) but in reality you are supposed to stop when you are full...and therein lies my downfall!! Eyes always bigger than belly but brought up to finish what's on my plate because there are starving children in Africa etc etc so I lost a stone quite quickly (was aiming to lost 1.5 - 2 stones) then struggled to move anything more as although I was sticking to the rules, the main rule is stop when you are full and that is the one I just couldn't get to grips with! If it's on my plate (and I think it's "free") - it's going down the hatch!!

flosskins

Visit site
It's this idea of thirds I don't understand - when superfree foods are fruit and veg what do you have for breakfast? I was thinking I could have scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast but I don't fancy fruit or veg with that! Or spag bol for dinner?

Nessa4

Visit site
It's this idea of thirds I don't understand - when superfree foods are fruit and veg what do you have for breakfast? I was thinking I could have scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast but I don't fancy fruit or veg with that! Or spag bol for dinner?

Scrambled eggs and bacon is fine - add in some tomatoes and/or mushrooms, perhaps? Or have a peice of fruit (bananas are particularly good). Or have 35gms high fibre cereal with a chopped banana or some soft fruit (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries) and milk from your allowance (if you choose to have milk for your Healthy A choice). The whole point is that it is very flexible and all about making healthy choices. Andyes, done properly it does work.

Nessa4

Visit site
There is no portion control and in theory it says you can eat as much free food as you like (so long as 1/3rd of your plate is "super free" eg fruit/veg and you stick to lean meat and dried pasta, boiled potatoes etc etc on the other 2/3rds of your plate) but in reality you are supposed to stop when you are full...and therein lies my downfall!! Eyes always bigger than belly but brought up to finish what's on my plate because there are starving children in Africa etc etc so I lost a stone quite quickly (was aiming to lost 1.5 - 2 stones) then struggled to move anything more as although I was sticking to the rules, the main rule is stop when you are full and that is the one I just couldn't get to grips with! If it's on my plate (and I think it's "free") - it's going down the hatch!!

So train yourself to put a little less on the plate - or use a smaller plate! Or get a lurcher!

exmoorponyprincess1

Lanarkshire Lass trying out Somerset for size :)
Visit site
So train yourself to put a little less on the plate - or use a smaller plate! Or get a lurcher!
This is also the problem - always had dogs growing up so any extra on my plate when I was full went to them...these days being away from the house for c12hrs at a time it wouldn't be fair to have a dog - and the cat just isn't quite as helpful!!
Funny my portion control of non slimming world food is fine but once I have in my head that it's all "free" I just go mental! :D

teabiscuit

Visit site
Myfitnesspal is also free, and takes about 5 minutes a day. It also forecasts your weight loss if you continue to eat like today. I'm a greedy guts chocoholic. If it works for me, quite frankly it's genius :D