slippery elm

coss

Visit site
I work with a mare who started scouring at the beginning of winter as the hay was increased. Her summer feed has continued the same - it contains yeasacc.
Recently we added seaweed but have yet to see if that will solve the issue or whether the slight improvement we've observed will be the full improvement the seaweed provides.
The hay is also being soaked now in the hope that the sugars will be reduced.

I found this: equiform
and wonder if its worth trying (obviously seaweed would be cut from the diet as this contains seaweed) - but one of the main ingredients is slippery elm... anyone used that before?

anyone used the equiform- good /bad?

coss

Visit site
thanks for the links - just thinking of next step ;) hay is being soaked but if that doesn't work what other things are out there. Horse appears healthy in every other way - ie, skin/coat/eyes/energy

SaharaS

Visit site
You can always offer her some slippery elm, she will know if she needs it or not...best to give herbs separately so they can take the ones they need & leave if they don't...giving it all can unbalance them..look up Caroline Ingraham's books on Zoopharmacognosy-you won't look back..think horses should come with Kindle built in for books such as these :) Hope everything works out ok soon x

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
I've used slippery elm for myself in the past when I've had a dodgy tum, I used to give it to my kids when they had upset tums, and I've also fed it to a horse that had ulcers. It works! It's very soothing. For human consumption mix with hot water and honey, when I fed it to the horse I put a large tablespoonful into both morning and evening feeds...it did seem to help him.

coss

Visit site
thanks for the info guys - will keep it as an option as don't want to go doing drastic changes to feed constantly. Allowing each change to "try" and have an effect before moving onto something new :)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Hello.
I haven't heard of this product, but one of our ponies has always been loose at best and revolting at worst. And taking him anywhere resulted in projectile liquid (sorry for description but can't think of any other way to describe it ;)).
Someone recommended Happy Tummy - http://www.finefettlefeed.com/?page_id=23
and it's been brilliant. First time in years he has 'normal' droppings virtually all the time and even when we go out he's a little loose but nothing compared to what he was like previously.
Hope that helps. :)