Slipping behind?

katiejaye

Visit site
I wondered if anyone had any views on this. My boy is coming up 22 and we've had an interesting last 2 years, he fractured a pedal bone left fore which he recovered from well and quickly from. After six months he unfortunately did a number on his left fore check ligament which he is now back in work from. He is fit, well and has been schooling/hacking and even lightly competing for the last four months. He's a very healthy and well looking 21 year old and apart from these injuries he's been well for the last 15 years.

A few weeks ago I started noticing the occasional slip behind whilst schooling behind and mainly in trot. I initially put it down to him needing to strengthen up behind and continued doing so. He's shod regularly and well and apart from a touch of mud fever in his hind legs he has no previous major injuries behind. It seems to be happening more often now when I'm schooling. He suddenly seems to lose his hind or "slip". He doesn't seem to be in pain or effected any other way.

I just be interested to hear what peoples views are? Whether it's possible stiffle issue or age related?

Thanks

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I don't like the sound of that, I think you'll need to get a good equine vet out. in the meantime just do plenty of hacking at the walk, to keep muscles working in a support role.