Slipping saddle - any suggestions???

Vicki1986

Visit site
my saddle is a nightmare due to pony having no wither it slips forward whenever she bucks/canters/jumps....

have tried a limpet which helps...going to buy an over girth at the weekend...

tried non elasticated girth

Anything else ???

Cant really have a crupper as no D ring on the back of my wintec - although i have text me saddler asking if there is anything she can do.

The saddle is new and was fitted about 2 months ago so definately fits.

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
-The saddle is new and was fitted about 2 months ago so definately fits.

[/ QUOTE ]

...no it doesn't, it slips!
grin.gif

Has your horse changed shape, are you doing a bit more, could you go down a gullet size in the Wintec

djb

Visit site
There is a similar post in the Stable Yard - maybe these saddles don't have trees that are suitable for flat-backed horses. I have heard of this happening quite a few times.
In the other post they recommend a Barnsby Grip Pad

Vicki1986

Visit site
if i go down a gullet size it will be too tight... she hasnt changed shape it just always has slipped - as have the previous 3 saddles leather and synthetic!!

maybe my only choice is made to measure...but a) im not made of money and b) id be gutted if i spent a fortune and it still slipped!!

the watcher

Visit site
so this is the one with the 4 girth straps, the back ones being designed to stop siteways slip?
TBH I bought one of these for my Highland, who is truely round, and regretted it, it just spins, and I know I have the girth the right size.
I have an imported saddle now (yes Indian leather), cost me about £100 new. The difference with these is that a wide fit is genuinely wide and there is more give in the points than on a normal English leather saddle. If you can live with poorer quality but better fit then companies like Gallop do an extra wide that seems to stay put on flat backed ponies. I also use a humane girth, I find them to be better balanced..and yes, have Limpet pad too!
smile.gif

Vicki1986

Visit site
yes i use a humane girth too the aerborn one it seems good

ive seen the gallop ones on ebay was worried about the quality but as you say what is more important!
maybe i will try to pick up a bargain one on ebay and get my saddler to have a look

i despair i really do!!

was hoping the 4 girth straps would help as set further back than usual but doesnt seem to be helping a great deal.

sojeph

Visit site
I've had slipping saddle problems due to a wide pony. I was told the humane girths wouldn't help (as that was what I was using at the time). I now use a Stubben cord girth and have no movement at all.

jinglejoys

Visit site
Sarah-lee has no withers and I don't like girth tight so I just got some breeching made using webbing managed to do really steep inclines with a loose girth.
grin.gif

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Wide ponies are not the easist to fit beacuse the points on an ordinary saddle just tend to be widened out an the saddle can rotate on the fat pads. You don't say whether yours is slipping sideways as well as forwards.

If it is just forwards it is possible because she is wider ehind than infront and the stomach is pushing the girth forward. In which case - abandon your elasticated girth, and your humane girth and look at getting a Wide cord girth - Stubben trevira. This should then be attached on the 1st and teh fourth straps on the saddle. This will allow the point and balance strap to be at their most effectve.

Do not use the balance strap (rear) without the point strap as this will encourage the saddle to funnel forwards.

I personally find that the wintecs are the wrong shape for a really wide horse and would use a Saddle Company cob, keyholed to shape. But as you have just got the saddle it is not acceptable for teh saddler to not offer you help so go back and see what they say if you try the above and it still slips.

Good luck

J

Vicki1986

Visit site
If it is just forwards it is possible because she is wider ehind than infront and the stomach is pushing the girth forward

that is EXACTLY why it is bosworth, her front end doesnt match her back end at all,
will look for one of these stubben girths then tomorrow at ISC

i have text me saddler (who i think has finally given up and disowned us) and am waiting for some sort of comments from her, as i paid 375 for this saddle new and did say i do XC & hunting and need it not to slip!

thanks a million for the advice everyone, and yes no nails would be so much easier!!