Slipping saddle on Chunky Cob

Anniecarer

Visit site
I have a chunky cob who I have struggled to get a saddle to fit that doesn't slide round when ridden in (or when mounting). Ideal Made to Measure saddle actually came in too narrow despite saddler that fitted it saying it was fine. The next saddler told me Ideal will never fit wide horses! Then persuaded to buy Lavinia Mitchell size 5, which has proved to be too wide and despite saddler saying "Just shim it" - even with the said shims it moves about and I end up nearly under her belly every time she moves. Losing the will to live now. Saddlers dont seem to want to come out to her a 2nd time - which I get - but it's leaving me with £3k worth of saddlers that don't fit and I'm currently riding in a T4 Cob which is OK but slightly wide and I think it's pinching. Last saddler gave it a quick glance saying "It's OK, a bit wide but just shim it" - but it makes me sit forward - so less secure.
I've been told that Saddle Company are lovely and fit Cobs nicely, but the saddler seems reluctant to come out - despite me saying I would consider buying new.
Has anyone had similar problems? Or any suggestions for makes that work?

holeymoley

Visit site
Find a saddle fitter that’s passionate about what they do. Why don’t yours want to come out a second time? If they knew what they were doing that wouldn’t be an issue as they should be comfortable in their solutions. Sounds like they don’t really know theirselves! Ideals can suit a variety of wide horses, that’s a strange statement to make. Has anyone suggested a hoop tree?

Antw23uk

Visit site
I ride in a Balance Equinox with 3 point breastplate (to the billets not the D rings), they are designed for the horse first then the rider so are WIDE and arent forgiving if you ride wonky or unbalanced. So I've learnt to be a better rider and my saddle no longer moves ;)

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Imho, none of the Saddle Company trees are wide enough for cobs. You get into a "perch and roll" situation.

92B97000-76EF-4629-9A15-5677F2F64D4E.jpeg
my connemara is in a saddle company and you can see how perched on top the saddle is (apologies for wonky things photo, it doesn’t want to cooperate today ?). The saddle “fits” and isn’t doing any harm (have had a second opinion and she has physio every 3 months) but I never feel at one with her! Am hopefully getting a new Andrea Hicks saddle next month which is designed for wider native types.

that said my experience with the saddle company saddler was great, she came out every 6 months to adjust, sometimes came back again if weather was awful and didn’t charge etc. The saddle just isn’t quite right for us.

Anniecarer

Visit site
Thanks to eveRyone for your replies. The LM feels lovely and like it would be great if it wasn't too big - the one we tried out was lovely but when the new one came it wasnt the same. I thought it would be ok once settled in. Just starting to wonder if I an actually trust anyone!!

Antw23uk

Visit site
View attachment 51645
my connemara is in a saddle company and you can see how perched on top the saddle is (apologies for wonky things photo, it doesn’t want to cooperate today ?). The saddle “fits” and isn’t doing any harm (have had a second opinion and she has physio every 3 months) but I never feel at one with her! Am hopefully getting a new Andrea Hicks saddle next month which is designed for wider native types.

that said my experience with the saddle company saddler was great, she came out every 6 months to adjust, sometimes came back again if weather was awful and didn’t charge etc. The saddle just isn’t quite right for us.

Its maybe not doing any harm but that fit is doing neither of you any favours :(

Griffin

Visit site
The only saddle that doesn't slide on my barrel-like mare is a dressage saddle. We don't jump, so this is not an issue for us though. In a normal dressage girth, it is very stable without anything extra to keep it in place.

Nari

Visit site
I would be asking both saddlers what they are going to do to rectify the situation. If the answer is nothing I would explain to them that you will be contacting the Society of Master Saddle Fitters and asking where you stand on this. I'm assuming your horse hasn't been on a major diet and lost loads of weight so that what was correct at the time of fitting no longer is.

The made to measure saddle, does it match the templates taken from your horse? If not then it really isn't made to measure and has been mis-sold. I can't agree with the second saddler who said no Ideal will fit wide horses, for many years their H&C was one of the go to saddles for wide flat backed horses since it's made on a hoop tree - it sounds to me like she probably stocks Lavinia Mitchell saddles and was just interested in getting you to buy one of them.

Again does the Lavinia Mitchell saddle match the template that saddler made of your horse? I do wonder why you accepted it if it straight away felt too wide, but done is done. I don't suppose you have any record of you questioning the fit and her saying just shim it? I'm horrified she hasn't come back to try and sort this out and has instead left you with a saddle that is unsafe to ride in. Have you been in touch with Lavinia Mitchell Saddles and explained what has happened?

With the T4 you may be sitting forward because it's too wide so it's worth trying a front riser pad and seeing if that helps as a short term measure. Is it a model that you can change the headplate? If so that's worth a try too.

I'd be looking at sorting out the situation with the existing saddles before getting yet another new one. And next time get a recommended qualified saddle fitter who stocks more than one brand. The days of very wide horses being hard to find saddles for are gone, they've become so much more popular as riding horses that there are now plenty of saddles to choose from.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would get in touch with your local Lavinia Mitchell fitter and see if they can do anything to get it to fit, or they may change it for one that does at least.

Anniecarer

Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your help. I have a lovely new saddle fitted by Tom at L for Leather in the New Forest. Its from Symonds Saddler http://symondssaddlery.co.uk/ and is a Richmond design and was a very reasonable price too. Turns out my chunky girl isn't quite as chunky as people would have me believe and the very wide saddles were too wide - hence the slipping. It was the stuffing that needed attention, which was something that couldn't be done with the LM Saddle. Actually had a canter, which I haven't been able to do for ages without ending up hanging off her side. I stayed totally on top. Looking forward to a nice ride at the weekend without having to constantly adjust myself and move around and can now concentrate on my position. Edith went so much better too.

Kaylum

Visit site
Saddle Fitters even the recommended ones can be very hit and miss. My friend had four out and they all told her different things. She bought two saddles one was an Albion which didnt fit properly, she then went down the made to measure route with another fitter that didnt fit after she had ridden in it once. That cost her over £1000 but she insisted they take it back and she got a refund after her physio telling the saddle fitter it was not fitting the horse properly.

She then got another one fitter out who was useless, the current saddle she has she can take back to the fourth saddle fitter any time and they do as standard 6 month checks or before if you want them.

Four saddle fitters later and she has a saddle that fits, the horse it not even wide. Some people are real chancers and are taking people's money and being accepted on the word of the saddle fitter.