Slopey pasterns/conformation questions

Har17

Visit site
Hi, I’m looking at a horse I’m interested in viewing but I noticed in some jumping videos the pasterns looked ‘floppy’ aka most likely slopey however I do not have a photo of them on the ground so I can’t be sure. I’m no conformation expert at all but I know basic stuff and this is questioning me a little, anyone have any experiences with this? Thank you

nutjob

Visit site
I had a horse PTS which developed sloping pasterns on both hind legs. Ultrasound showed both the suspensory ligaments were totally disrupted / disintegrated. Most likely due to DSLD/ESPA but not confirmed. He was only 6 but was in too much difficulty to even keep as a pet. It was apparent even when he was standing still and more so in walk. When I was looking for another horse I spent hours looking at pictures and videos to avoid the same thing and you can see a large amount of movement of the fetlock/pasterns on normal horses which are jumping or turning especially at speed. The difference with mine was that it was obvious at walk and although the pasterns were not unusually long the fetlocks dropped a great deal at each step which made them appear longer.

Lois Lame

Visit site
Hi, I’m looking at a horse I’m interested in viewing but I noticed in some jumping videos the pasterns looked ‘floppy’ aka most likely slopey however I do not have a photo of them on the ground so I can’t be sure. I’m no conformation expert at all but I know basic stuff and this is questioning me a little, anyone have any experiences with this? Thank you

How do the pasterns compare with videos of other horses who are jumping and at the exact moment that you are viewing?

Maybe you are noticing something you don't normally notice, and it's normal. Or maybe it is extreme. Look at youtubes of other horses.

Actually, it would be better, really, to just ask for a conformation shot. If they send one with a bucket in the wrong place, by accident of course, ask for another photo.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
You can take a screen shot of what you are worried about and crop it so that only the lower part of the leg shows, which won't identify the horse. You are right not to splat the whole picture onto the Internet asking for a critique of a horse for sale.

I'd agree with people above, if the pasterns obviously drop in walk, more than other horses, then there's an issue. Look at the back legs too, in a horse I knew with suspected DSLD/ESPA, the first sign was that the back legs went straight as his suspensories began to fail.

I'd be happy to look at the ad for you if you PM me.

Har17

Visit site
I had a horse PTS which developed sloping pasterns on both hind legs. Ultrasound showed both the suspensory ligaments were totally disrupted / disintegrated. Most likely due to DSLD/ESPA but not confirmed. He was only 6 but was in too much difficulty to even keep as a pet. It was apparent even when he was standing still and more so in walk. When I was looking for another horse I spent hours looking at pictures and videos to avoid the same thing and you can see a large amount of movement of the fetlock/pasterns on normal horses which are jumping or turning especially at speed. The difference with mine was that it was obvious at walk and although the pasterns were not unusually long the fetlocks dropped a great deal at each step which made them appear longer.
That must have been heartbreaking, thank you for your reply!

Har17

Visit site
You can take a screen shot of what you are worried about and crop it so that only the lower part of the leg shows, which won't identify the horse. You are right not to splat the whole picture onto the Internet asking for a critique of a horse for sale.

I'd agree with people above, if the pasterns obviously drop in walk, more than other horses, then there's an issue. Look at the back legs too, in a horse I knew with suspected DSLD/ESPA, the first sign was that the back legs went straight as his suspensories began to fail.

I'd be happy to look at the ad for you if you PM me.
Thank you, And thank you for your helpful response, that’s very kind of you to offer, however I think plans have fallen through with this horse so there isn’t too much of a need now :)