Sloppy butt pony

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I have a pony, he’s about 15 but it’s a very much “about” I got him, I think 10 years ago as a 15 yr old, he didn’t appear or look 15 and three different dentists 3 years running placed him at 5, 6 and 7 so I figured they were about right.
He’s always had this issue but it’s definitely worsened over the years. He’s constantly covered in sh*t down his hind legs and tail. I hose him off daily in summer.
He gets a tiny handful of honeychop lite daily and hay, minimal grass. No grass at all does help but doesn’t solve it.
His poo actually usually looks ok. Not ball like quite but has some structure, it’s not liquid.
Over the years I’ve tried many gut supplements. Including Protexin and pink powder (refused to eat this)
He’s currently trying a Baileys digestive support, too early to say if it works or not. I suspect not.
His poo smells. He smells, because he’s unrugged and so hairy so I don’t like to hose him constantly now, being cold.
Any ideas? He had no issues weight wise- if anything I’d like him to loose a bit.
He is absolutely fine otherwise, always a happy bouncy little chap.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
My elderly mare has been scouring this year. Not ridiculously bad, but she’s never done it before. I mentioned it to the vet when he was visiting another horse. He suggested a prebiotic powder, which seems to be helping a bit even after a couple of days. He said three people had rung him already that morning about scouring. I think this years hay is the cause of mine. Perhaps the early summer weather affected it somehow?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My elderly mare has been scouring this year. Not ridiculously bad, but she’s never done it before. I mentioned it to the vet when he was visiting another horse. He suggested a prebiotic powder, which seems to be helping a bit even after a couple of days. He said three people had rung him already that morning about scouring. I think this years hay is the cause of mine. Perhaps the early summer weather affected it somehow?
It’s not just this year ?‍♀️ It’s been going on a long time but good shout!

P.forpony

Visit site
I’ve never tried that no. I don’t think it’s the feed that’s causing it but I’d certainly willing to give it a try, if I can find it locally

Sounds very similar to mine, it was never the feed that caused the issue because it didn’t matter if I cut out hard feed altogether, swapped hay for haylage, more turnout less turnout I tried it all.
She always had cow pat poo. Not dreadful just a bit on the soggy side.
Huge improvement and saved me a fortune in bedding! ?

P.forpony

Visit site
Weirdly he’s super clean to muck out! However old he was when I got him he was entire so gelded late!

Mucking out stallions, always my favourite stabled horses! ?
She’s not messy herself, but all the little bits of poo would fall apart and drive me potty trying to sift through every scrap...
Not that I’m picky at all... ?