Sloppy droppings! Haylage balancer or Probiotics?

dollymix

Visit site
As title says, one of my mares has very wet and sloppy droppings.

I'm not undually worried, as this seems quite normal for her. She has always had wet droppings since I bought her in September last year. She also drinks LOTS of water...much more than my other horses, but then she is 16.3!

She is also incredibly messy, and likes to splash in her automatic water - drives my YO made as there is always a river of water coming from her stable door. With the mixture of water from the drinker, lots of wee as she drinks so much, and horrible sloppy droppings, you can imagine what he stable is like!!

She is on haylage, and it is a fairly consistent quality, but she does not offer hay...the hay the YO manages to get for the shetland pony is not very nice quality...very dusty.

Just wondered if anyone had tried porbiotics, or haylage balancers? Do they work in these situations?

LCH611

Visit site
you could try a spoonful of natural yoghurt (live) in her feed? Or mix some of the hay in with haylage & see if it improves?

Britestar

Visit site
Yea-sacc works wonders for mine. I but the farm pack. Its cheaper and lasts for ages (plus I'm feeding it to 3). Their coats look extra shiney too.

mudmonkey17

Visit site
Hi,

my gelding is the same in winter when stabled more and getting more haylage. Drinks like a fish so go through a lot of bedding.

Have tried pink powder and haylage balancer in the past. Pink powder didnt really do anything, tried it on a recommendation. Haylage balancer had some effect but after a while stopped working.

Mixing hay into haylage worked well for a while but then he refused to eat the hay and picked out the haylage.

Now on equine gold with good results.

minniemouse

Visit site
pre and pro biotics gut balancer and charcoal powder also try and source some good quality hay, haylage dosn't agree with my horses gut far too acidic for him even when it is nearly like hay! haylage balancer did nothing for him but the biotics and charcoal has worked.