Slowing trot tempo.

pistolpete

Visit site
I had a fab lesson on the Highland nut job today. :)
My instructor kept asking me to use my seat to slow him in trot. In particular slow my rise. Daft question probably but how? I really struggled. Got there eventually but accidentally changed diagonal a few times while trying to slow.

Rusty Rider

Visit site
Just that really - if you rise and go back down into your saddle slower, your horse will slow its trot in response - it might be odd for a few strides but it does work. It shouldn’t be so stark that you end up changing diagonal though, try to slow down more progressively next time 😊

Trinket12

Visit site
I had this with the pony I used to ride. It took me a couple of go's to get the rhythm right, but I tried to make my rising more controlled, rather than just following her rhythm. I found thinking of it like slowing lowering myself into a chair, helped me with the control.

I'll have to go back to this, my new horse has a very fast trot! The current one I ride, not so much :p

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Eek, should have thought about how to explain it before posting! I've been having lessons from a more classically based instructor. Hopefully this will make sense! Basically tip pelvis forward slightly so it feels like you are more central. Grow taller and pelvis back to increase again.

Someone more experienced may come along and make more sense (and get it right!)

Ellietotz

Visit site
I was always taught to rise higher to slow the trot down so when I am up, I am basically above the pommel standing straight. It has always worked for me. You could also try counting in the speed you want like "1, 2, 1, 2" as you rise and sit.

Mule

Visit site
I slow my rise to transition from rising trot to walk. I rise at a slower tempo than when I want to maintain the trot. The horse responds by slowing down. I don't know why they slow down but it works.