Slowing weight loss in a laminitic?

rforsyth1984

Visit site
My horse is on the recovery at last, after being on box rest since the beginning of Dec with laminitis. A fit, 17 year old 15.1hh arab, he was never over weight in the first place, but has dropped a bit of weight due to the restricted diet and recent over excitement (doesn't want to be on box rest now he has had a taste of freedom for an hour a day, muzzled of course!). You can see the shadow of a few ribs and I don't want him to lose any more weight, as he looks like he needs a bit back on!

Any ideas? He currently has a net of soaked hay at night, a net of haylage in the day, 2 scoops of happy hoof (split into 2 feeds) and an hour a day muzzled on a small grazed down paddock.

Pasha

Visit site
I would be careful as my Arabs look ribby one day and then fat the next! Much prefer to see a few ribs to be honest as Arabs have very well sprung rib cages and where most horses would be underweight, my boys still carry fat on their necks and bums when ribby.

BUT 'safe' things you can feed are things like unmollassed sugar beet and oil... basically additional calories but not additional sugar or starch.

I also like Black Oil Sunflower Seeds - my two go mad for them, but nothing beats plain and simple hay IMO