Smacking your horse on the nose.....

Parkranger

Visit site
Just been talking to someone about this - I know somebody who regularly smacks their horse on the nose for being a bit bolshy.

Personally I think it's a bad idea - end up with a headshy horse! I tend to smack on the shoulder but think that a firm voice works much better (well does with my boy).

If you don't smack your horse, what else do you do?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If it bites, then it will definately get a cout on the nose - no problem! But that's the only time I can think of that I've ever done it.

SSM

Visit site
Mine had a smack on her nose the other day - fussing the horse in the stable next to her and she took a chunk out of my hand in a jealous fit
tongue.gif
the bruise is a gentle yellow now

I actually do not have to smack her for anything as she is perfect
wink.gif

miamibear

Visit site
I suppose it all depends on their temperament and what you are reprimanding for.

If it was a bite i would possibly go for the nose and shout no aswell.

If it was bolshyness i would stand up to the horse. I always train my horses to move away from my body language so that would work.

A kick would get a smack on the body (only with hand) and again a stern no.

Luckily my horse doesnt bite or kick and when in bolshy mode i do as above!

Generally i think punishment has to immediately follow action as if you leave it too long there is no connection between offence and reaction.

My horse is a headshy type and i would still tap on the nose if necessary, he would need to learn biting is not good!!

Hope i dont offend anyone with this, but this is what i would do - kicking and biting is not acceptable!

xx

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This person tends to smack at random.....

[/ QUOTE ]
Oo, nasty person. Wonder how she'd like to be wacked across the snoze for no apparent reason.

Hey ho people are funny.............................

samp

Visit site
Best way to get a horse that bites is to bite it on the fleshy bit of the nose back (this is what horses do naturally). I am against hitting on the head really, smack the chest or neck.

RunToEarth

Visit site
Never ever ever smack the coloured on the nose, have been closeon one occasion, but this is very headshy quivering wreck and its taken some time for the little mite to trust me. Monty is always gettingthem, hes so bloody rude and bolschy, and Willow because he tends to nip. I wont hesitate to bop them on the nose, most ofmine are well behaved, butit does teach them manners.

airedale

Visit site
I have one 'toneword' a cross between 'oi' and 'eh' that I use with all of the horses

and I never raise a hand to them

I use the toneword - repeated again if necessary slightly louder

and on the second use I use my body language andmove into their space towards their shoulder area - as if I was another horse 'bargepushing' them away and out of my space

with new horses it takes a while for them to understand - the others - I had one of the rentakids exercise my 5 yr old mare last weekend and she was trying to get her to walk on without jogging and without rushing

kid had heard me oieh-ing and mimiced me (cheeky !) - anyway as soon as mare heard her use my toneword she stopped the trotting

so it does work - you've just got to persist - but couple it with body language

totally agree smacking on the nose isn't going to work long term - and if person is regularly doing it it shows that it isn't working as horse is 'coming back for more' - so if the smacking doesn't work then where do they go next

in my case - 3rd use of toneword is accompanied by a serious move into horses body space and a standing there by me not 'giving ground' so that I become 'top of the pecking order'

another way of establishing 'dominance' is to act like another horse would - get between horse and it's pile of hay and keep horse away from hay with body language. Horse then becomes 'lower down the pecking order' than I am as I've got it's food

If you read dog-control books many will tell you that if you have a 'bossy' dog to go and sit in that dogs bed and take over the dogs personal space.

Similar concept.

Theresa_F

Visit site
I have twice hit Chancer on the head - once for nipping - he received a sharp slap on the end of the nose and when all other methods failed to stop him throwing his head around and he finally smacked me right in the t*ts just as I was due on, he got a bitch slap on the cheek and screamed at.

He has never done either since - he learns quickly.

For bolshy behaviour I find the fish finger stance and in hand training not slapping the nose to be far more effective - a slap on the nose for me is only used as an instant reaction to a bite.

I did on one occasion use a wooden fish slice on the nose of a very nasty shetland x - did it twice - the second time fairly hard and he never bit anyone again - he was dangerous - used to throw himself over the door at you.

Random hitting is totally out of order.

Enfys

Visit site
If I get bitten then my horse gets a smack on the nose, it's automatic and the action happens before I've had time to think "Ouch you sod, that hurt! Now what should I do about it?"
Fortunately mine prefer to bite each other.

emmajanerushton

community.webshots.com
i agree with a mild smack or a flick or if the have whiskers i pull them if they bite even my foal, he has soon stopped, biting back works BUT at this time of year you will get a gob of fluff ! wooden spoons also come in handy if when grooming you have a nipper hold the spoon in spare hand !

HBII

Visit site
If she ever bit me or went to bite me, I would swing for her back, but I think that is highly unlikely lol!

If madam is in pocket raiding mode she will get a prod on the shoulder and maybe a verbal no.

Hb

Kelly1982

Visit site
Dont think i have ever hit them on the nose even if they have bitten me but i have given them a good punch in the neck a few times.

My horses are generally well behave though and usually a good growl sorts them out.

My friends horse bites you when you put her rugs on though all the time, i bopped her one the other day and screamed at her. The next day she stood as good as gold.

metalmare

Visit site
I have tapped on the nose on occasion but I've read that with a known biter it is better to have a headcollar on and when they go for you give their head a sharp jerk away from you as punishment then bring it back towards you. Supposed to stop them becoming headshy.

annaellie

Visit site
I do not agree with hitting them anywhere near the face, god only knows the times when I have felt like. Biteing and kicking is never aceptable but under no circumstances would I hit a horse round the face area. its always neck or shoulders the instance it needs it otherwise there no point.

mangobiscuit

Visit site
Ooooo errrr!

I think I have a strong suspicsion who you're talking about....? (HOPE IT'S NOT ME
mad.gif
) JOKE...

I smack Fin on the nose if he tries to nip or bite but would never wallop him round the head with my hand or (which has been known to be done by someone...with leadrope/headcollar round face)...ooo and i elbowed him yesteerday in the bum when he got grumpy with me!

How evil am i....
grin.gif

I agree that maybe the person in question would refrain from dishing smacks out if she got bopped on the nose herself..?

*let me do it! let me do it!*

spaniel

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Best way to get a horse that bites is to bite it on the fleshy bit of the nose back (this is what horses do naturally).

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
You are asking to get your face ripped off. Not something Id like to try.

freya_5

Visit site
I only do it as a natural reaction to a bite and thats only if I get back to them quick enough, if not a growled no works with mine. I'm having problems with a mareish mare that I have on trail, she nipped me last night so I quickly tapped her back and growlled she immediately shut up and this morning was like "morning mummy, i'm so happy to see you!" Hopefully I wont need to do it again. I think one problem some people bring on them selves is if they feed tib bits and then their horse mistakes their hand for a tip bit and get hit for it, not saying that feeding tip bits is wrong at all! I found a good way is, once they worked hard I tap them with my finger on the end of their noses and say well done then give them the treat, when i'm riding I tap when gently on the shoulder and reach down to give them a treat. I have always done this and it works after perciverance that they don't expect tip bits unless I do the above. At least then I know that if they bite me they're being naughty not confused of being fed a treat.
Body language works really well too!

conniegirl

Visit site
yes my lot will get a smack on the nose if they Bite (doesnt happen often, but we have on grumpy old git who forgets himself occasionaly). pocket raiding is delt with by pushing them backwards out of my space and a raised voice. Barging generaly a smack to thier chest and raised voice. and if god forbid one of them actualy kicked me he would be smacked on the closest bit of body. However at the moment If they raise a leg and threaten to kick shouting at him generaly works.

teapot

Visit site
Smack on the nose and a growl if they've bitten or if they've attempted to a big growl & then moved over out of my space

Tia

Visit site
Classed as totally the wrong thing to do if your horse bites you - however I don't give a poo - if a horse bites me then it will get a smack on the nose. All this from someone who shirks away from hitting horses, however for biting or kicking I will make exceptions.