Smacking your horse on the nose.....

evsj

Visit site
I never smack horse on nose (or head) even when she does threaten to bite/bite Was always taught that it made a horse headshy. Now I just shout at naughty, bitey horse and she knows she has done wrong!

Hope you were joking about the cattle prod GTs!!

Elmere

Visit site
Why not hit them on the face, when trying to get in the stable with my mare and foal, the foal stands there ready to sneak out quietly whilst i'm trying to not let the mare run me over, of course i'l hit her on her nose if she's trying to run me over
shocked.gif

pagancluf

Visit site
I think they can tell in your tone of voice, a very loud NO at full decibells does the trick, as does an AARGHH! when they stand on your foot - the only problem is they are in shock and do not move!! just still stand on your foot..
Have slapped a horse on the nose at college when it decided to take a chunk out of my leg for walking into the stable and she was facing me..(obvs just a bad day for her!), but I hate a head shy horse.

JessPickle

Visit site
Never have Never will

Mainly because a few years back I went on a riding holiday where I saw a girl properly smack and punch a RS horse in the face I just found it shocking and the look in the horses eyes were awful. Me and my friend went straight to the yard manager though and the girl in question was asked to leave it sounds harsh but personally would have liked someone to hit and smack her round the face

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont think its very effective (unless it bites although some will just get worse) for bolshiness. Although, saying that Ive probably tapped (not wacked!) my boy on the nose at some point if he's walking into me or wont get out of the way (he can be a sod!) and its the only place I can reach!

claire1976

Visit site
If a horse reactively bites through pain or bad handling I think it is very wrong to smack/hit/bite it back.
If a horse has bad manners then I would look at correcting that long term rather than use a instinctive human reaction to smack back. Long term IMO and experience you are asking for a headshy horse.
I've said before though that if you do hit a horse you must follow with a gentle rub in the place you've hit them. This is to reassure horse that the next time you place your hand in that area it doesn't get a smack.
BTW - these are IH/NH methods and I know you all don't agree/believe in them, I was just adding my comments and don't wish to start a debate!

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
cause I do not want a headshy horse

[/ QUOTE ]
Smacking a horse on the nose on rare occasions will NOT make your horse headshy.....unless the horse is scared of you!

Hitting on the poll could make a horse headshy; but you would have to do this as a matter of course for it to have a lasting effect.

Parkranger

Visit site
depends on whether or not your horse is a bit headshy anyway - as Ty is blind on one side I just wouldn't smack him on the nose.....

Tia

Visit site
Hmm well the poster I replied to suggested that she did not want a headshy horse.....therefore the inference was that she didn't have one.

the watcher

Visit site
i don't as a rule..if mine try to get a bit nippy, and that hardly ever happens, they will find my elbow coming back at them quite hard - if it happens to smack them in the mouth or head I am not too worried - hopefully they will see it as the natural consequence of trying to bite me.

conniegirl

Visit site
well non of mine are head shy at all and all have been smacked in the mouth for biteing It isnt a regular thing so it isnt a problem. If a dominant horse is bitten by a horse lower in the pecking order it will bite back, I dont want my face taken off by biteing back so i'll stick to smacking.

regalrendezvous

Visit site
I don't hit my two on the nose unless they nip / bite. I use "AH AH" very loudly to stop them from doing something naughty. When the pony thought i had gone he started chewing on the fence when he was tied up. I just said "AH AH" very loudly and he juped and looked around in supprise as if to say 'Argh! I thought you had gone"

I will smack on the nearest bit of horse i can reach if either of them kicks out for any reason.

Once i was putting hoof oil on my horse and he kicked out at a fly, i have never smacked him so hard before (he grazed my hand with his hoof). He has never lifted his legs when i have been bent down at his feet again. I only hit hm so hard so he would never do it again, i don't want to be kicked in the head!

Sugarplum Furry

Visit site
Blimey.

I've just read through the whole thread, and to be honest my jaw hit the keyboard at some of your replies. i.e. 'I only hit/pinch/smack/bite my horse when he /she does this that or the other...'.

Why are your horses doing this to you?

It's because you haven't done any basic groundwork with them. They don't have a clue what the rules are concerning people and personal space, as nobody has ever shown them. As their owner or carer it's up to you to educate them. It's all very well teaching them to jump, or do complicated dressage moves, but if you don't have the basic day to day ground rules set out you are setting yourself up for a generally unhappy relationship.

Buy yourself a dually (or a be nice if you must, although they are quite uneccesarily severe) and start doing some basic groundwork excercises. Your space is your space, and your horse's space is his own, and both can only enter with calm respect.

It can be bloody hard work getting your horse to understand this concept. It can take as much time as it would teaching a horse to change leg or passage but it's SO worth the effort, but with time and patience you wil never have to wallop your beloved ned or wrap your gnashers round it's nose again.