Showing Small Adults On Ponies

B.D.2000

Visit site
I was just curious to find out if there are any small adults out there that ride and compete/produce small M&M's or any other type of small pony and if so, what height you are? Also, if you're okay putting it out there, what weight you are, although no one needs to add this if they don't feel comfortable.

I am a small adult (I'm about 5ft3 or 5ft4) and would love to get a pony that both me and my nephew could share, so that I could keep the pony well schooled and even enjoy it myself.

Thanks in advance :)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I am 5'4". I try to keep around 58kg, but around 60 at the moment with lockdown. :( First picture is me on my 14.1 mare who I sadly lost last year. Second is me on my current mare - not measured, but I would say around 14.2 by eye. Both were/are Welsh crosses although first mare was chunkier and rounder in the barrel as also part arab.

69582191_10218534779493458_7850626744464703488_o.jpg

127238486_10222613937549860_8132382078590723389_n.jpg

SEL

Visit site
I'm 5'3" about 56kg and I'm bringing a 13h pony back into work after her wind op. She's Dales x Exmoor and moves beautifully so if I can sort the breathing I might have a play at low level showing / dressage

millikins

Visit site
My daughter and I share our 14.1hh Connie, I'm 5'4" and 58-60kg, she's similar. I think I look a bit tall on him as even though he's 14.1hh he's slight without much barrel but he has no issue with his riders.
I enquired about a Dartmoor who appeared to have fallen on hard times, he was full up 12.2hh and chunky, I called the secretary of DPS and she said I'd be at about his limit but should be o.k. His ad disappeared and I think a DPS member took him on.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I only have NF's in my collection. I'm 5'6 and weight does vary more than I'd like it to but around the 10.5 mark. I've show a 13hh, 14.1 and a full up 14.2.

We have a 13.3 NF that my son has recently backed. I'm too heavy at the moment to do it-lockdown blubber. ?

minesadouble

Visit site
We have a 13.2 section C. He's 16 and has previously been shown at top level, all of his former jockeys have been adults.

My daughter is 13 and is his first junior owner/rider. She has decided that next year she would like a 14.2 RP and I have every intention of pinching her C for myself. I'm 5'6 and 8 stone 10, I have no qualms about looking big on him at all.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Im 5ft2 and flucuate between 8 and 10st. I used to ride and compete a 13.2 welsh C stallion. I now ride a 14.2 welsh cob. Who i feel is a bit big really. I have a welsh C colt waiting in the wings to be my next show pony when we're ready and able.

Kizzy2004

Visit site
I’m about 5ft 3 around 9st but been up to 10st. I’ve generally always had new Forest ponies ( the occasional horse but prefer the ponies). I’ve done everything from hunting,BE,BD, riding club etc with the foresters. Current ones are a 13.2 who would hunt all day long even at my heaviest and still enough stamina to try gallop home (we’re in the new Forest so hacked to a lot of meets) but was sane and sensible with it. My other is about 14.1 and is like a Duracell bunny, boundless energy, bold and sharp but will do everything you ask him to. New Forest are incredibly versatile, easy to keep and very trainable but I am bias. Connies are good too ime.

Pic of me on my 13.2 jumping 90 (ignore my crap position I was bracing myself for the next fence which was a 5 bar gate ??)

Attachments

• CCAB2C9C-4CC2-4504-AEEC-FD8F78A15DF4.jpeg
    CCAB2C9C-4CC2-4504-AEEC-FD8F78A15DF4.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 21

SO1

Visit site
I am 5.1 and 53kilos I have a 13.3 New forest. Little girl from place next yard sometimes comes and has a sit on him. He is very good boy with kids but a more interesting ride for an adult.

What age and how big is your nephew and what is he interested in doing?

Wishfilly

Visit site
I was just curious to find out if there are any small adults out there that ride and compete/produce small M&M's or any other type of small pony and if so, what height you are? Also, if you're okay putting it out there, what weight you are, although no one needs to add this if they don't feel comfortable.

I am a small adult (I'm about 5ft3 or 5ft4) and would love to get a pony that both me and my nephew could share, so that I could keep the pony well schooled and even enjoy it myself.

I'm 5'4'' and a little under 10st (my ideal weight is lighter). My pony is about 14hh and a cobx- at the lighter end of what you'd expect from that. I definitely don't feel under horsed, and I think he'd suit a pre-teen/small teen as well. There's lots of natives that are definitely more full up than him, so I think you could find something to suit!

ETA: When I was younger and lighter (about 8 1/2 stone) I rode a couple of arabx ponies at around 13.2/14hh and competed them at a very local level.

JulesRules

Visit site

Have a look at the Adults riding Ponies Facebook group. Lots of adults there riding small M&Ms. My M&M is a large breed (Highland).

OFPersephone

New User
Visit site
I'm 5'6 and approx 13st a 13.2 Welsh C - she shows no signs of struggle.

She's 6 and a tank!

I am on the path to a few stone lighter purely for the show ring so we don't get dismissed ;)

Attachments

• Ebrill.jpg
    Ebrill.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 71

Jellymoon

Visit site
I think it’s a great idea, we had no end of trouble with little ponies when my kids were on the 11/12 h welshies and the like. I used to wish I was your height and could get on them, little beggers. (I’m a bit over 5ft9 and weigh 10-10.4 stone) . Now they are on 14.2/15hh connies, I ride them all the time while kids are at school, and they are much better behaved.
I think you would be fine on a chunky A, any type of B or Dartmoor.

B.D.2000

Visit site
I think it’s a great idea, we had no end of trouble with little ponies when my kids were on the 11/12 h welshies and the like. I used to wish I was your height and could get on them, little beggers. (I’m a bit over 5ft9 and weigh 10-10.4 stone) . Now they are on 14.2/15hh connies, I ride them all the time while kids are at school, and they are much better behaved.
I think you would be fine on a chunky A, any type of B or Dartmoor.

They can really be little terrors! I've always liked the thought of keeping a small pony just as well schooled and worked as any other breed. I have images of my nephew flying through the air else?

I'd get a connie straight away if it weren't for his little legs! He's only two, but I'd like to bring on the pony for a year or so before he is ready to climb aboard. I guess I'm on the hunt for a nice full up Dartmoor, Welsh A or B. I have always fancied myself a Dartmoor actually;) Thank you for your helpful comment:)

marmalade76

Visit site
Just over 5' and used to ride a 13h New Forest, I was around 10st at the time. Would also occassionally ride my children's 12h Welsh for short periods of schooling and the odd gymkhana game. Like a lot of folks, I've put on weight over lockdown and around 11st now and riding a 14.2 cob - I think my weight is no trouble to him at all. Also own a 14.2 arab who's currently out on loan, hopefully I will have slimmed down again when he comes back (that is if I decide to have him back).

catembi

Visit site
5 ft 1 1/2, 49 kg & rode a 12hh Dartmoor as my 'main' horse after Cody was found to have PSSM, & took her to dressage clinics, polework clinics, taught her to jump etc until she too was found to have PSSM. She was a really nice pony & would have been a fab all rounder.

Attachments

• Tiffany 7.JPG
    Tiffany 7.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Tiffany 4.JPG
    Tiffany 4.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: SEL

Jellymoon

Visit site
They can really be little terrors! I've always liked the thought of keeping a small pony just as well schooled and worked as any other breed. I have images of my nephew flying through the air else?

I'd get a connie straight away if it weren't for his little legs! He's only two, but I'd like to bring on the pony for a year or so before he is ready to climb aboard. I guess I'm on the hunt for a nice full up Dartmoor, Welsh A or B. I have always fancied myself a Dartmoor actually;) Thank you for your helpful comment:)

Ooh, love Dartmoors, if I were your size I’d have one in a second. The ones I’ve seen close up at shows (ridden by adults actually) are properly chunky, you’d be absolutely fine and would not look out of place. Your nephew would look really cute in lead rein classes on one of those too! There’s a darty FB page which I had to come off as I kept wanting to buy one!