Small bale haylage - preferred brands?

supsup

Visit site
I need to buy a few small haylage bales for travel (weekends away with the horse). What are your preferences for brand, and value-for-money?

I've always been happy with Horsehage, but it tends to cost a bit more than some of he other brands that are available locally. I've tried another brand in the past (can't remember which) and ended up with lots of variation between bales in terms of moisture content and vinegary smell - some where fine, others not. Any experience with Mole Valley brand, or Devon Haylage? Or any other recommendations (I live central south area)? Thanks!

WelshD

Visit site
I like Horsehage because its in sections. some other brands unravel to a crazy extent when you try and take some out!

If your horse eats hay then also look at hay blocks which are so easy to store and feed

touchstone

Visit site
I use Mole Valley and haven't had a bad bale yet, it is in small sections, but not slices like the Horsehage. I've also used Equilage with no problems, but Silvermoor I had a few bad bales, and complimentary fencing wire and very smelly dead rabbit in two!

supsup

Visit site
Thanks for the tips! I did think about hay blocks as well, but they are quite expensive comparatively speaking (£1/kg), and I need enough forage for a four day long weekend. My gelding also wasn't very interested the one time I tried them, though I did admittedly get the "high fibre" (straw and hay mix) version.

I think I'm leaning towards Mole Valley if the price is right, as I also need some more fence stakes. Might save me a trip to the other feed store.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I use silvermoor the 'lite' one and the recreation I have never needed to give any horse the the active one even when they where working very hard .

wiglet

Visit site
I've used Equilage and Gelston - both nice but my horses preference was Gelston. Have also tried Horsehage but my mare wasn't keen on it

Nari

Visit site
Devon Haylage Timothy is lovely (I haven't tried their high fibre one) & as I don't have a local stockist I called them & they deliver to me when they're in the area as long as I have a couple of pallets.

I've used the Mole Valley Hegh Fibre one too & agree about it being very easy to get out the bale, but my fussy eater wasn't so keen on it & my IR cob is far better on timothy.

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Another one for mole valley, my sometimes fussy mare woofs the hi-fibre one down, and companion pony thinks she's gone to heaven if she gets a handful!

The only thing to possibly consider with it though is I'm fairly sure Mole Valley is now a franchise, so haylage will be baled locally ie quality/ type may vary slightly region to region? On saying that, I'll probably be getting another pallet this year, since the only haylage I've found that my fussy one likes more is Haysoft but as far as I can tell that's only available in East Anglia and I'm now oop north.