Small claims court

sunnyone

Visit site
The pony needs to be rehomed asap. Do you not have a friend anywhere who could take him in for a while? If you spread the word around about his availability it might only be for a couple of weeks.

I too think the solicitors letter is a fake as it's not been signed. I would expect a solicitor to have advised her " buyer beware" rules apply.

If you can't take him to safety please pursue this woman for the £700 outstanding, otherwise she'll continue to do the same to others.

As a final touch I'd refund the money she gave you by taking every baby item you bought with that money, together with the receipts, to her and let her have the hassle of getting refunds, or not.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
I wasn't sure what to do regarding the remaining £700. I wasn't sure whether to make a claim for that as I didn't have anything put in writing that she was going to transfer me the next morning once her daily limit on her bank had reset.
My mum said the same about the solicitor letter - it wasnt actually signed by a person, just the name of the actual company. My mum looked back on some legal letters which she had (selling a business etc) and each one had a proper signature by an actual person. So you could be right in thinking its a fake one!
on this letter must a phone number and company name, look them up and try to ring them

Last edited:

DressageCob

Visit site
Small claims are very straightforward to fight. I would, however, issue a counterclaim.

First thing would be to respond to her solicitor's letter with a denial (stating horse was sold from the field, no previous behaviour issues, videos provided etc). Then in the same letter I would say that £700 payment is outstanding, pursuant to the contract of sale. If that balance is not paid and court proceedings are issued then you put them on notice of the intention to raise a counterclaim.

Jl123

New User
Visit site
Small claims are very straightforward to fight. I would, however, issue a counterclaim.

First thing would be to respond to her solicitor's letter with a denial (stating horse was sold from the field, no previous behaviour issues, videos provided etc). Then in the same letter I would say that £700 payment is outstanding, pursuant to the contract of sale. If that balance is not paid and court proceedings are issued then you put them on notice of the intention to raise a counterclaim.

Thank you so so much!! Should I keep the reply back quite simple? Definitely going to input about the remaining outstanding too!

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
You really need to find a way to take the pony back and, as others have said, refund the money when you‘ve re-sold the pony. The court route will take months and months, there’s such a backlog. Even before the pandemic, when I had an issue, I was looking at 9 months before the case could be heard. And during this time the pony will be in this person’s ’care’...

Last edited:

Jl123

New User
Visit site
Just to advise everyone, I have been informed by a close friend that he is okay and not being badly treated or anything like that.
I'm not in a position to accept him back, it would be impractical on me and on the pony himself.

DressageCob

Visit site
Thank you so so much!! Should I keep the reply back quite simple? Definitely going to input about the remaining outstanding too!

Yes, just answer saying you deny liability. And explain why, such as that they bought without a vetting or assessment, no prior history, provided videos etc. I'd also include that you were a private seller (since the Consumer Rights Act 2015 doesn't then apply, and that's the main Act which gives a right to return), if they have alleged otherwise.

Then inform them that the £700 is outstanding and invite them to pay within 14 days, otherwise you reserve the right to issue proceedings, or in the alternative, issue a counterclaim in the event they bring a claim against you.