Small Fashion Survey!! (For University)

SmartiePants

Visit site
Hi all, I'm doing a small survey for a university assignment and would like to know if any of you have ever bought an item of tack just because it looks nice, or because somebody else had one? I.E a 5 Point breastplate, Breast-girth or a Crank/Flash Noseband. Also if you've ever bought a treeless saddle for the same reason or anything fluffy.

How many of you like items with a bit of bling? Browbands, hats, boots, plaiting bands etc?

Have you ever been influenced by a famous rider to buy the same stuff? like Charlotte Dujardins hat for example?

Be as honest as you can, I'm sure that when most of us were younger we had to have something because someone else did!
Even if you have never bought any of the above, just comment to say no that way I can get some sort of percentage out of it

Thank you all
xx

Abacus

Visit site
No to the first - I would choose the colour of tack because it looks nice, but not the type. Except I suppose in having a cavesson noseband which strictly speaking does nothing but I prefer the look of a horse with one on.

I don't really wear bling but only because I'm too lazy to be anything more than traditionally smart, I don't have time to think about bling. It does look pretty and I don't mind seeing it, if not overdone. I don't copy anyone although if I thought something looked lovely I might do. Think I am at a point where I have most stuff and am not going to buy more bling for the sake of it.

Sorry, I am probably not your target market...

oldie48

Visit site
No to everything. I buy what I need and get the best quality I can afford at the time. Despite being a dressage rider, I don't do bling although I'm sure my horse would look lovely I'd be afraid I didn't live up to "the look" the only thing I'd follow about CJ is to wear a proper hat not that I'll ever compete at that level!

dianchi

Visit site
I have come round to the idea of sparkles and now have a few sparkly pieces.

But everything else i buy for a use reason not for the "look"

I also hate crank nosebands!

khalswitz

Visit site
I own a patent bridle and a sparkly brow band, and yet my running martingale is tan leather compared with my black saddle and bridle, so I am a bit of a mishmash...

I like to look nice if possible, but won't spend over the odds to match/look good if the same thing is cheaper and as good quality in non-fancy...

I don't buy things for the 'look' as in 5 point breastplates, martingales etc (my horse's shoulders are too big for a 5pt to be comfortable) - I only use tack for a purpose. However if the option to buy things in matching colours/smarter style etc costs the same, then I will choose that :)

I like matchy, but don't buy it - I just pick things up cheaply in matching colours, I don't buy sets...

star26

Visit site
It's a no to everything from me. When i was younger there was no 'bling' for horses really available, so i didn't have any. Now i'm older i am not into that sort of thing, i prefer the traditional look and tack.

I don't buy tack/bling/any horsey stuff just because someone famous has it, i also don't tend to follow or copy current 'trends'. I like to keep my tack simple and only use what i need. I hate seeing horses overdressed, wearing so much tack and unnecessary pieces just because it looks 'cool'!

SadKen

Visit site
No to the first, I'm very old skool and don't like tack for tack's sake. In our day, you only put on what you absolutely needed and a cavesson noseband/snaffle bit and nothing else was considered to be the mark of a nice horse and a decent rider. I remember chafing to have my grass reins removed as a child. Also we only got an orange and a stick for Christmas.

I don't buy anything because famous people have it - if it's endorsed that usually means paying a massive premium! If it fits, and is reasonably priced, then I'll probably buy it. If I need it!

Don't like blingy stuff either, but I don't think my riding is up to much and certainly don't want to attract any extra attention to that fact ;)

TheSylv007

www.ridewelland.co.uk
I don't really like bling but I will confess to being influenced by famous riders when looking for hats (as well as the usual fit, price, safety etc). If I see a famous rider in the same stuff as me it does make me think that it must be good! I haven't ever bought extra items of tack purely because they look good - don't want to clean any more leather than I have to!

be positive

Visit site
Basically no to everything but I do try and buy tack that suits the horse, it needs to look good in that respect but the main thing is function, if it serves no purpose then it does not get bought/ used, a bling browband can enhance the overall appearance so may get used when appropriate.

MerryVB

Visit site
I have never brought anything because a famous rider has had one. I don't like bling in one way (sparkely) but I am collecting emerald/green tack for endurance/TREC (have stirrups and reins at the moment and looking into an endurance bridle) so if you class bling in that way yes!

Other tack I chose the colour dependant on colour of horse, but I normally have the most basic bridle (no noseband) so only thing I buy because it is nice is saddlecloths and rugs! Never had a treeless saddle or fluffy items.

This is also influenced on what is expected from pony club (I am 20 years old) so no bling allowed etc for rallies or competitions run by pony club. Always remember going to a ode with a brass browband (not that blingy at all) and told I had to get rid of it.

blood_magik

Visit site
I've never bought something because someone else had it but will admit to having bought a hunter breastplate with martingale attachment when I really only needed a martingale. I personally think it looks smarter.
I used to love the idea of matching sets as they looked smart but I can never be bothered when it comes to tacking up.

I don't mind a bit of bling but I stick to browbands on my horses and just for everyday - show bridles are all plain leather.
my dad hates it even though his horse can pull it off better than my two. :tongue3:

I don't know if this counts as being influenced by famous riders but I bought veredus boots for all of my horses because of the number of riders that use them and recommend them.

Greylegs

Visit site
Nope ... Can't stand bling on a horse tbh and never really understood the need for it. Looks a bit too fussy for my taste, and now I have a highland it wouldn't be right for him anyway. I buy decent quality, plain Havana coloured tack, bridles with flat, hunter style cavessons and keep it simple generally.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I think bling can look good if done tastefully, but I have none. I am considering a brass browband though!!
I only have tack I need - why would anyone want to clean unnecessary items
I guess I am influenced by colour when buying saddlecloths and possibly rugs, but I need them anyway so might as well get the colour I like.
I have quite a lot of fluff, but my horse is sensitive and is rubbed easily in winter so it isn't just for show. Most comes off in the summer
I am not really influenced by what top riders are wearing, especially as I couldn't afford most of it. I sometimes see something I like on a rider and then might google it, but it was the item rather than the rider that caught my eye. I would probably be more likely to NOT buy something because certain riders wore it (;

WelshD

Visit site
I bet a lot of people won't admit that they have extra tack because they think it looks smart but I think it's the case in some instances

Me too. I think if there had been a survey attached that could be annonomously (?) filled in that there would be all sorts of answers

I have noticed that in the showing of small M&M ponies for example there is almost a checklist of 'must have' items

The saddle must be brown, preferably Fylde and preferably a Haden or Samantha
The bridle must have a plaited browband and the much desired over 1'' noseband, you've hit the jackpot if its a Jerome noseband
The reins must be shoelace thin Fylde ones and the numnah must be real sheepskin

When you see adverts come up for one of the must have items the replies on it are multiple. There could be an advert above or below for an item that is near identical but that will go ignored

Equi

Visit site
No, i like minimal tack, if you don't need to don't put it on.

For showing minis, purely i buy things cause they are blingy lol

Pigeon

Visit site
Hi all, I'm doing a small survey for a university assignment and would like to know if any of you have ever bought an item of tack just because it looks nice, or because somebody else had one? I.E a 5 Point breastplate, Breast-girth or a Crank/Flash Noseband. Also if you've ever bought a treeless saddle for the same reason or anything fluffy.

Yep, ridiculous piped bling bridle, and matching numnahs and exercise bandages, definitely not bought for practical reasons... Though they don't actually influence the horse's way of going at all, unlike martingales and nosebands etc.

How many of you like items with a bit of bling? Browbands, hats, boots, plaiting bands etc?

Meeeee!!!

Have you ever been influenced by a famous rider to buy the same stuff? like Charlotte Dujardins hat for example?

No, but I really like some of the grey show jackets the jumpers wear, if I had a horse that would suit one I'd be tempted.

Amicus

Visit site
In foolish youth (not very long ago) I bought at a tabletop sale a breast girth and one of those crochet ear covers for my pony, I never actually used the ear bonnet but did use the breast girth on occasions. I think both have now been passed on via tabletop sale but neither did the pony any harm or any good for that matter.

pippixox

Visit site
no- never bought anything because someone else had it or a celebrity had it. all my tack has a purpose. personally i also don't like bling, just plain leather.

Spoiled cob

Visit site
I wouldn't buy tack I didn't need just because it looked nice but I like to have nice things for my horses and I'm having a patent bridle with bling made for my horse.

I now have quite a few saddle pads with matching bandages and overreaches and exercise sheets etc I also have fleeces etc to match. I like to look smart and tidy and show my boy off.

I wouldn't buy something just because a famous rider has it. For hats etc I get the safest I can and don't worry about the look.

Joanne4584

Visit site
No, because I am on a tight budget so am not in the position to buy things I don't need or things that are expensive. For the same reason I wouldn't buy something a famous person has used because they tend to be very expensive!

I do like things to match (eg. numnah and brushing boots being the same colour) but I don't go out of my way to make it so. If I had a mare I may have gone "blingy" but I would feel a bit guilty putting my gelding in sparkly, shiny things ;)

spookypony

Visit site
This is a fun one! :D

I've bought a blingy brow band for reasons of shinyness, and been heavily influenced in the purchasing of an Endurance bridle (although that's also a useful item!) by the colours available and how common it is to have them for the sport. I picked the colours on my saddlecloth and my pony's hoofboots for matchyness, though I would have got him the equipment anyway. But the available colours definitely influenced my choice of brand, in the case of the saddlecloth (not the boots; that would be stupid).

I like a bit, but not an excess. Browband, sure. Really nice stock and pin, sure. But I don't tend to go overboard. Then again, my pony has a bright blue plastic bridle...

No, other than perhaps getting advice from really experienced people that I respect. But not a "celebrity" copycat.

Be as honest as you can, I'm sure that when most of us were younger we had to have something because someone else did!
Even if you have never bought any of the above, just comment to say no that way I can get some sort of percentage out of it

Thank you all
xx

Tern

Visit site
I do have one blingy brow and and it's one row of red, white and blue but it's because it looked smart, she would never wear for any competing except dressage :)

Marchogaeth

Visit site
I don't buy things like Flashes or Breast plates if I don't need them, and not for for the look either:) although I have bought a sheepskin girth sleeve and strictly speaking my boy doesn't need one I just like them, and feel it'd be more comfortable than just the girth, does that count?
I also bought a leather girth rather than a synthetic one, do things like that count??
I do like a bit of bling, I probably would find myself buying it but having said that the most 'blingy' thing I have is a clincher browband!
Occasionally I'll see a picture of a famous rider and thing to myself 'that's a nice coat' and then end up buying it, but not because of the person wearing it, because it genuinely was nice and it just happened to be them! :)x

sam_

Visit site
I have to admit to liking a little bit of bling! Hehe! I love my blingy white animo jodhpurs the most! I have bling on my boots also, but not on my jacket or hat!

Unfortunately for one of my geldings he has a very pretty blingy browband :)

I wouldn't say say I am influenced by professional riders, if I like the look of something I get it lol!