Small hard slit just above knee

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Whilst grooming Beau the other day I found a small hard lump type cut just above/on his knee. It looks to have scabbed over but you cant still sort of see 'into' it. Its not squishy, or hot and its not sore when I touch it. It doesnt look to have bled either and its clear or any gooey or ikky stuff.

Its only around 1cm long and if you move the hair its kinda - how do I deecribe this - like M, Up at the edges and a bit open in the middle - where I can see a slight pinkish tindge (I never want to have my face that close to a horses knee again!)

He isnt lame or anything, adn the only change is that I could have sworn he was plaiting the other day.
I am not worried as such, but I've heard stories of horses developing other things from what looked like minor wounds. And I know of a horse that died (although not 100% directly) from what justy looked like a fly bite but was in fact a 4cm deep nail puncture that subsequently got seriously infected.

So..........

a) Should I really be concerned
b) If so waht should I look out for?

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
I had a similar one last week on titch, I wasnt initially worried, it had healed over nicely and he wasnt lame, in fact he was very up for everything. However, after a week I decided to have more of a poke around and realised it was deeper than first expected on one of his rear cannon bones at the front.

I decided to call the vet purely because whilst not lame it hadnt healed and was looking a little puffy. Vet called that evening and we did tet jab just in case and he is now on antibiotics daily via jab (thank god I'm not squeamish!), since then some gunk has come out but it is reasonably clean and vet has not recommended doing anything other than keeping it clean, and dry and not bandaging etc.

If you have any question marks over it, especially where it is, near the knee I would be tempted to just get it checked as infection in legs is not nice and we cannot always see it going on.

Like I say, my boy is 100% sound but this 1cm cut could have got really nasty. Better to be safe than sorry IMHO.