Small Hunter Class

Heidi1

Visit site
What do they look for in a Small Hunter Class.

Am considering taking my coloured to a few local show and doing the coloured and Small Hunter ridden show classes. She is 15.2hh, Welsh D X TB. Eventually to go on and do some Working Hunter. All comments greatly appreciated, pictures below of Millie........

DSCF0289.jpg

DSCF0288.jpg

lizzie_liz

Visit site
she is a nice looking mare but could do with losing some weight round her belly area.
good luck in whatever you do, am no good about showing classes

Heidi1

Visit site
She is on a diet at the moemnt and in alot more work, so hopefully that will go down, plus she is out 24/7 at the moment, so alot of it is grass belly, when she does come in it does go down more....

As for showing not really my thing either, but thought it would do her good to get out and about...........

lizzie_liz

Visit site
yeah tell me about keeping the weight off, mine looks at grass and her belly expands!
she prrobs would do well in hunter type classes

Heidi1

Visit site
They sure like them well covered in the class.......... The problem we have is too much grass, even with this hot weather we still have loads of grass.........

ExRacers

Visit site
Yes nice looking mare and could definitely go for small hunter at local level. You'll need a double bridle if possible and understated tack - no fancy numnahs etc!! You will all ride round together initially then judge will pull them in in a preliminary line up and ride them. Then they'll be stripped and trotted up in hand before final decision. A well schooled horse with a good gallop should do well.

Good luck & have fun!

Heidi1

Visit site
Thank you, would a Rugby Pelham be ok, don't fancy filling her mouth with ironwork, have a WH Saddle too, with a brown sheepskin saddlecloth, she had a nice gallop, well controlled and if I might say so myself she carries herself very well.....

Zebedee

Visit site
Rugby pelham fine -provided you put it on a double bridle - ie the snaffle ring should be on a sliphead.

Heidi1

Visit site
Hill work is not a problem have plenty of them and she is coming in in the day time hopefully to get rid of the tummy, bit like her mum, both of us on a diet.........She is working along side my other horse who is getting ready for hunting and her first ODE........... Thank you for the help........

lornaA

Visit site
I do small hunters with my mare and I'd say your mare should do quite well. At local level i find if they are well turned out and well schooled thats whats more important than just having good conformation. I would of thought she would do well in cooured horse classes as her markings are good. Good luck