Small hunter

Cherylx

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone! I have a small mare who is a Connie X so I’m trying to figure out what class I could show her in at local level just for fun. She’s only 14.3 though so I think she would get dwarfed!

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
Thanks so much everyone! I have a small mare who is a Connie X so I’m trying to figure out what class I could show her in at local level just for fun. She’s only 14.3 though so I think she would get dwarfed!

My boy is connie x ISH :)
Yes she is small, how old are you? If u25 you can enter in the intermediate SH type, the horses are between 148cms and 158cms
If u20 you can do show hunter pony

do you have some photos of her :)

conniegirl

Visit site
I'd probably try for the SHP classes, a lot of local shows don't have age limits on them but affiliated will.
My lad was 15.2hh when measured, as you can see in the photos he looks huge but he actually looked quite small agaist some of the others. he was ISH x gypsy cob.

If you can pop a photo up that would help enormously

showjumpingharry

Visit site
Most small hunters down here are full up 158 and many are over! The intermediates tend to be slightly smaller, but not by much. If she is connie x then she maybe too pony like for horse classes, so I would do 153 show hunter ponies or intermediate show hunters.

Cherylx

Visit site
Thank you! I am 28 so can’t be under any age restrictions.

I’ll have a look at what classes the next show has.

I would add a couple of pictures but it’s saying the files are too large 🙈

showjumpingharry

Visit site
What is she crossed with? At local level they will have best combo, riding club horse/pony etc that she could probably do. Otherwise if she is a finer type then could think about small riding horse, although again she might get dwarfed by everyone else!

Cherylx

Visit site
I’ve had a look and they don’t have SHP! Just small Hunter and Hunter. I may just have to resign that she can’t do the local show this year which is fine as it is only for experience and to get her out and about.

She’s not ready for WH yet either as is too green.

These are the only photos that will load although I appreciate they aren’t the best!!!

Attachments

• 9FFD2B0E-5EBD-460C-98C2-9B24816AAB1E.jpeg
    9FFD2B0E-5EBD-460C-98C2-9B24816AAB1E.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 23
  • A74A97BE-FA0D-4D6F-9DD9-71D4AB20F7D3.jpeg
    A74A97BE-FA0D-4D6F-9DD9-71D4AB20F7D3.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 23

conniegirl

Visit site
Thank you! I am 28 so can’t be under any age restrictions.

I’ll have a look at what classes the next show has.

I would add a couple of pictures but it’s saying the files are too large 🙈

If you are on a mobile device then screen shot the photo, then try and post the screenshot, that generaly works best

conniegirl

Visit site
can you post the schedule or a link to the schedule, we could help you with suitable classes if we can see the schedule

No matter what class you do you are going to have to plait her

showjumpingharry

Visit site
Just seen schedule sorry! Pony club pony 13.2+ and coloureds? You will need to plait and trim her up tho. Edited to add, what about small riding club horse too?

conniegirl

Visit site
Would pony club pony have to be ridden by one of the kids?
not normaly, it just means pony suitable for ponyclub activities.
From that schedule you could do:
Pony club pony
Ridden horse (if they define horse as over 14.2hh)
Riding club horse (again find out definition of horse by phoning secretar)
Prettiest mare
Coloured

Cherylx

Visit site
Fab thank you everyone! Showing novice as you can tell and just looking for a nice day out. We done M&M last time but felt out of place.

We did get a third in prettiest mare which was lovely.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Very few local/countryside or riding club shows have small hunter classes any more which is sad.

The modern small hunter is a small fat TB or very near TB. A few years ago a true small was a middleweight scaled down. I have the old fashioned small and when I put her before Robert and Claire Oliver for assessment they told me had it been 10 years ago the horse would have been HOY's standard, but today the horse does not have enough quality to win a decent class.

I have had a lot of fun with mine, she is registered ISH and she competes in the iD classes and any small hunter classes I can find for her. I haven't bothered registering her SHGB because although she probably could pick up a RIHS or even HOY's ticket somewhere like Monmouth or Moreton, she would not have a hope in hell at championship level.

24ph2wy.jpg

Cherylx

Visit site
Yes, it’s just a very low level local show so no breeding is checked etc! But thought I’d put her into something more suitable this time. Small Hunter was suggested to me but I was unsure so this has been invaluable!

showjumpingharry

Visit site
Very few local/countryside or riding club shows have small hunter classes any more which is sad.

The modern small hunter is a small fat TB or very near TB. A few years ago a true small was a middleweight scaled down. I have the old fashioned small and when I put her before Robert and Claire Oliver for assessment they told me had it been 10 years ago the horse would have been HOY's standard, but today the horse does not have enough quality to win a decent class.

I have had a lot of fun with mine, she is registered ISH and she competes in the iD classes and any small hunter classes I can find for her. I haven't bothered registering her SHGB because although she probably could pick up a RIHS or even HOY's ticket somewhere like Monmouth or Moreton, she would not have a hope in hell at championship level.

24ph2wy.jpg

She's gorgeous AA!! Down here in Cornwall we have lots of small hunter classes, very few large/weight classes and even less intermediates. There's lots of cob and riding horse classes though.