Small or Big Yard......!!!!

_OC_

Visit site
Just curious is the yard your currently on small or big we only have 8 of us well 7 plus one small shetland-so 7 and half,-and is it social or does everyone charge in do their horses and charge out again-just bl**dy nosey!!!!!!
smirk.gif

Heidi1

Visit site
Small ish if you don't count the YO horses, 8 horses and I own 4 of them, 2 owned by same person and then other owned by 2 other people, YO has 8 horses of her own..........very sociable and nice, we all get on and help each other at the moment, might change when it's wet, cold and dark.....

samp

Visit site
We have several yards at our stables, think in total about 30 horses. However, on our yard there is only 4 horses which works out rather well. Though grass liveries tend to tie up on our yard which is annoying

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I moved last summer from a big yard to a private one. Just one livery - that's me.

Can't tell you how fantastic it is. It's just me and my friend whose yard it is. I have two horses, the rest are hers - which adds up to around 15 in total. I pay livery, but also muck in and help where I can.

Would never, ever go back to a large yard.

Emma123

Visit site
Hmmm theres...6 horses on the yard, ones mine, two are my aunties, one full livery and the other two are diy liveries. All get on really well been at the same yard for years, and all go into my grandmas house for a coffee on weekends so very sociable
smile.gif

jacks_mum

Visit site
we have 12 horses - well 11 1/2 really and 6 owners, 3 OH's and one child. I think we are pretty sociable. we all stop each evening and have a cuppa together at about 5.30/6pm. the odd outing to play bowls or have a drink and we try to support each other at competitions. we're pretty stable (excuse the pun) and have a very low turnover of people. in 2 years we have had 3 people leave and 3 newbies come in. they have fitted in very well and most of the time we are a happy little family. we do have the odd row though and it usually revolves around poo picking!!

kerrylou123

Visit site
there are 2 yards where we are. One side has 6 stables, and our side has 3 with seperate grazing! We all keep ourselves to ourselves, which works fine! But we are all old friends, so will go and have a natter and a cuppa with them. But if ever they needed it, we would help there where we could, and vice versa!

sally2008

Visit site
We have 8, and everyone is all nice and friendly (ATM says the cynic in me!).
smile.gif

I would hate to be in a big yard. It was bad enough when until recently we had a professional monopolising everything in the yard with 11/12 horses - he kept forgetting it was a DIY yard and not HIS yard.
mad.gif

Lill

Visit site
Small private yard at friend's house so just me and the family there! We did have a livery but she left recently. Bout 9 horses there altogether, 2 are mine
grin.gif
Its wicked
grin.gif

Tempi

Visit site
we've got two parts to our yard a top and bottom, i reckon we've got around 25-30 horses in total, some are out at grass all the time and some come in at night. Currently Bloss is on the bottom yard and Archie is on the top yard which is a total pain, but luckily a stable has just become avaliable down the bottom so Archie is moving down at the end of the month. I hate the top yard, its really b!tchy (plus YO & YOs son are on the top yard), everyone down on the bottom yard is lovely and helps each other out.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Our yard is small, we only have 6 horses on our yard and 3 owners.

Its much better like that, i have been on big yard (50+ horses), medium yards and small yards and would go for a small yard hands down everytime.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
There are 15 boxes where I am and a total of 6 liveries. All of them, except me, have more than one horse and then there is the yard owners two.

We're all dressage peeps and everyone gets along rather well. Im up there considerably more than most of the liveries however, and must confess to not seeing a whole lot of them!

Its a pretty social yard... we'll all go to the pub together and have get togethers at the yard for christmas and such. The YO and her parents live on site and are always happy for liveries to pop in for a natter or discuss any issues. They also had part of their house converted into a second kitchen that the liveries have full access to so we can make cups of tea and so on.

Its a nice yard! The only drawback is that the YO is a rather well known dressage trainer and consequently, some days are crazy with her having visiting pupils, meaning the school use can be restricted. She's very aware of her liveries though and tends to make sure they can always get some room (even if it means her distracting an arriving lesson with a cup of tea so we can ride)

SSM

Visit site
4 - Just the Donkey, a pony and the other girls two horses - I turn out and they bring in at night, works really well and they are lovely! Then we have a yard right next door to us with about 6 on - everyone there is really nice too!

SillyMare

Visit site
Very small and nice - 11 horses in total belonging to YO and 5 owners.

We all get on well and help each other out but very often we are all there at different times of the day.

sorona

Visit site
My yard is split into plots so we all have a few acres and some have shelters, stables, etc. It works well as you can chose to keep yourself to yourself or there are others around who are happy to help is asked but nobody interferes much unless something goes wrong!! I am luckily as i have a high hedge all round my 8 acres but others are seperated by normal fencing so it is more important that they get on with their neighbours but luckily almost everybody does. There are around 50 horses on our yard but it doesnt seem like a big yard at all as we all have our own space.

a1b2c3

Visit site
I'm a livery at a farm, there are two other owners, one owns three, the other owns two, plus my george makes 6.

I like the smallness of our yard, there isn't any bitchyness, we all just kind of do our own thing, as we are all there at different times, especially me, as i have more free time due to uni.

Only been there two weeks, so haven't got to know them yet, but they seem nice.

Quarrybank

Visit site
Def small yard for me. My yard has 10 boxes. All on part livery (so horses all get fed & turned out at the same time). 1 belongs to the yard manager. V social yard. As most of the livery's are down during the day I usually have the menage to myself in the evenings. Weekends there is always someone to hack out with if you want & then sit a chat in the tack room with. There is always a wait list but we haven't changed anyone for about 18 months.

hussar

Visit site
Four owners, 7 horses. I'm the only one who rides regularly so I hardly ever see anyone else. Suits me fine! Have never been on a yard of more than 6 owners/10 horses.

Chumsmum

Visit site
Just the YO's own horses and my 3 little ones - it's lovely and we get on well. Sadly, the YO's dad died last week
frown.gif
He was a lovely man who made me feel very welcome and was always there for me. He didn't ride but was great with the horses. Things will stay the same for this winter at least but don't know what will happen after that - it will be a real shame if she has to sell it 'cause it's a great place.

Shrimp

Visit site
Our yard is split into three parts. In total, there is about 33 stables though about 7 of them are empty at the moment. Im on the DIY bit down the bottom with its own arena away from the main part of the yard. There's 8 stables though one is empty. It's generally quite quiet and we're all sociable though I tend to talk and do things at the same time! On the Top yard (full livery) there are 20 stables, at least five of which are empty. Its generally quiet up there aswell because it is full livery so some of the owners hardly ever come down. Then there is YO's horse in the barn (5 stables) and we rarely go in there. Everyone has designated paddocks so all in all it works very well.

shoo

Visit site
Yep, small yard for me aswell. There are 6 boxes and 3 horses ( 1 mine and the other two my father in laws) but I'm the only one who goes to the yard so I would say its definatly on the small side!
smile.gif

Salcey

Visit site
Lovely and small - just me!!!
When I was a kid we were on a big livery yard and riding school, I just found it to catty and political. Have never been on a big yard since

MrsMagoo

Visit site
just a small yard which is great - theres me with 2, and another women and her grown daughter whom im good friends with anyway with 2, YO who usually buys some in most months but they live out and another 2 belonging to a couple but they live out 2 as they have just had a baby
smile.gif
so about 8 in total most the time...

Evadiva1514

Visit site
I much prefer a small yard. Mine are all kept at home so we have 5 boxes and a barn for the yearlings. I don't think i could keep mine on a large yard the only exception being if i were running it!! LOL!!
grin.gif