Small ponies tanking?

Skhosu

Visit site
Littlest sister has a 13hh 19yr old, been there done that. She is not all that confident particularly xc, only rides one a week and enjoys going to shows but not the work at home etc. Standard small child syndrome!
Went out today to 2"3 xc/sj and had 2 refusals in sj, then retired. Then xc jumped first fence and he tanked, he is in a snaffle and always has been, apparently always has been strong xc (has a mouth like rock as has always been a small kids pony).
any suggestions? If she could just think about it rather than panicing she should be able to ride him, but not sure how to get to that.

_Libby_

Visit site
i think i'd be inclined to go for lessons to build her confidence and give xc a miss for now, she may end up getting a fright.

An instructor is probably the best person to judge if anything needs changing, but as you say if pony has been there and done it then it may just be your sis needs to get used to it and more confidence before they gel.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
try a kimblewicka volcanite one its just a tad stronger than a snaffle and most kids use one as they only have ankles below a saddle falp and not a calf and they arnt as strong as adults

splatty

Visit site
my daughters pony will take advantage if she can and has tanked, fine doing comps but out hacking or in our jumping paddock she will just go, my daughter is 12 and the pony is 14.1 so slightly bigger than yours and we have tried numerous bits, we found by using a waterford mouthpiece the pony cant grab, lean and go, so we have invested in various waterford bits ie pelham, dutch gag, hanging cheek snaffle and the pony seems alot more settled with this type of mouthpiece, we also change bits around quite alot depending what discipline they are doing, we only used the hanging cheek snaffle in schooling and the odd dressage test, we didnt find the kimblewick or any other mouthpiece any good cause all she would do would set herself against it and go. Hope this helps, sorry may have gone on a bit here.
laugh.gif