Small Pony and Carriage Transport

EmilyK

Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for the best way to transport the following, so am after ideas - a teeny 12hh mud monster (with a kicky wall habit that tests most trailers strength) and her carriage (currently a 2-wheeler). I'm often on my own, so don't want to be hauling heavy ramps and trailers around, but a lorry seems to me to be overkill. 3.5T lorries are out of budget by a long way - and they don't really take the carriage very well IMO.

I have some options - herringbone trailers take a carriage very well from my experience, she'll definitely fit, and I think she's travels well in them. Or the trailer extensions - but I would worry I'm pulling a long length of very light trailer with a potentially oddly placed weight. Also, I don't always travel with the trailer so it would not be fun to tow 5m of trailer with only 400kg on it!

A nice 7.5T appeals, the lure of living (and a loo! and all that space) but again, a bit overkill - and hard to sell on with a rapidly deteriating price.

Towing vehicle is a Land Rover 90 - so the trailer must be light. License won't be a problem (C+E) so the world is my oyster as long as its not expensive. I'd happily buy something for a year, and see how many shows/stay aways we are doing to see if an upgrade is needed.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas? Trailer recommendations etc.?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Friend has an Ifor Williams stock trailer. The pony goes sideways across the front, and the carriage goes in the back. There is enough room for the pony to have a bit more space should it increase in size! It is OK, if not idea as this particular trailer hasn't got a door at the front to get at the pony, but different trailers have different things.

I've seen some wonderful conversions from old Rice Beaufort triple trailers - although those would be ancient (need a good overhaul) and very heavy for towing, you would need quite a beast of a vehicle.

As for putting the carriage in the trailer, I expect you could rig up some sort of pulley system which might even be motorised. Then you have to secure the carriage well so it can't move.

Tarragon

Visit site
At the moment I can either fit a pony in my trailer, or the carriage, but not both!
On the rare occasions I have gone away for a drive I have gone and dropped off the carriage first and then come back for the pony - not ideal.
I am watching this thread with interest :)

The Jokers Girl

Visit site
Could you use a cattle trailer. Much sturdier than a box and wouldn't matter about the lower head room as the pony is only dinky. I've had a 15.1 and a large 2 wheeler 3 seater cart in a cattle trailer.

Littlewills

Visit site
You can fit up to 13.2hh, perhaps a bit bigger in a 510 Ifor with a 2 wheeler easily. you put the pony at an angle towards the back and carriage in front on its end. You can buy an electric winch to save hauling it up and down.