Small pony, is it only cub saddles?

xTrooperx

Visit site
Just wondering what options are out there regarding saddles for small riders and small ponies, without costing a fortune.
every time I look all I can find is cub saddle due to ponies height 10.2h ( believe 42inch, Shetland x) which we have already got, is this it?? Till my daughter needs a larger pony.
Any personal recommendations would be great.

staceyn

Visit site
I just bought my Shetland a bambino saddle I don't like the cub ones I don't feel they have support for the ponies back it was £20 off eBay and fits really nicely. There are some floppy suede ones too but more expensive I think they are for showing

xTrooperx

Visit site
Blucanoo1990, the thorougood pony club range looks good, but I'm lil worried about the lengh as start at I believe 16inch not sure how/ if would fit/look on a Shetland type, she currently in a 12 poss 14. If anyone has any pic thst would be great, my mind keeps showing an image of lil legs sticking out from underneath and a head poking out the other :0).
Will check eBay now to see the bambino saddles.

staceyn

Visit site
I think they only come in 12"seat but there is something called a hi lite saddle I think that comes in A 14" and above

Ladyinred

Visit site
We bought a tiny treeless saddle. Can't remember the name, but it was good one. Fits a treat and small riders feel secure.

luckilotti

hillhousestables.co.uk
my 10.2hh shetland has always had real (leather) saddles since i broke him back in '96. there are plenty out there if you have a good look, many can be picked up 2nd hand etc, the latest i got for our newest shetland (well, now i have twins, they needed one each lol) i picked up for less than £15 on ebay - i guess as not many people want to buy such tiny saddles but remember - before the cub saddles were about - little ponies used to have real saddles so they are out there still.

ponypilotmum

Visit site
The little saddle pads (felt and leather) are excellent as they really teach children to sit and feel.

I bought a beautiful 13 inch x wide saddle for less than £100, and it fits anything. It's been used with all my children and every pony :D I just thread an old lip strap through the D's as a handle when tinies ride.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Our 11.1 isn't as chunky as a standard shettie, but she has the shetland shaped flat back & no withers. The thorowgood & wintec ones are entirely the wrong shape for her, way too perched. And I find even with good second hand old leather ones, even when the saddle fits the pony, for a tiny child the seat is too big, so not ideal position wise on a regular basis. My daughters just turned 8, & she still rides hers in a ponypad. And as a tiny never rode in proper saddles either. She can jump & gallop in it, & ponypads are almost as good as bareback for position. And they're cheap, & light enough for even a tiny to have a go at tacking up with. Otherwise its really a case of searching for a second hand one.