Small White Useless One - Progress Report on the 'Unrideable' Pony!

JAK

Visit site
For those (any?) that don't know her, SWUO is an 'unrideable' (you think you've seen broncing! LOL) 9 yr old sec A, that was 'given' to us last year - useless, spooky, headshy, blind in one eye, a working set of teeth & verging on the 'hopeless case' scenario! LOL

Step 1. Spend months gaining pony's trust, leading her round, making friends with her etc.

Step 2. Hold child on pony for a count of 3, (whilst shovelling pony's equivalent weight in titbits down its gullet!)

Step 3. Encourage pony to take one tentative step forward, (whilst shovelling pony's equivalent weight in titbits down its gullet!)

Step 4. As above but now several steps (titbits still being shovelled in!)

Step 5. Cuddle pony, pat it reassuringly & inform it in kindly voice.........."There are no more titbits, get moving, as in now.....!" (Instant weaning or we'll be here forever!)

After a few seconds of pony planting & glaring ferociously.......it gave up! Now all we have to do is get a saddle & bridle on it & 'set child free' on it! Eek!
(And don't worry - child's legs may be touching the floor but she weighs b*gger all!)

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Middle daughter's legs did make me chuckle... SWUO looks almost... harmless!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

pixie

Visit site
wow, you must be so proud! Well done to the little white one and your daughters. I feel a name change should be appropriate soon - SWNSUO (Small, White, Not-So Useless One)
wink.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Middle daughter's legs did make me chuckle...

[/ QUOTE ]
She was able to virtually 'step over' pony to get on! LOL

[ QUOTE ]
SWUO looks almost... harmless!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't have said that yesterday if you's seen ED lungeing her when foul pony decided it can only go in one direction!
Pony & child at one point were nose to nose in a 'Mexican standoff'.....pony's ears flat on its head glaring, child glaring back, refusing to give in! (Have you ever tried 'getting behind' a small pony.....they're like wriggly eels & can turn on a sixpence!
Anyway - child won! (ED can be very determined when she needs to be!)
grin.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
.. but yes which daughter will get the prize of ridding the little devil?
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha ha, yes, to those that wondered this, it will have to be middle daughter!
She is the most likely to stay on, though tbh, if SWUO 'goes', nobody on the planet could stay on - think bull ride.....slide carefully on, open the gate & 3 seconds later, you're on the deck! She's also the most agile (if she has to jump for her life! LOL) & the most confident riding 'difficult' ponies!
Couldn't risk littlest daughter & eldest daughter is too heavy for her!

Not sure what to do about 'reins' though, in case she goes ballistic & gets loose (highly likely!) - should I split them, knot them or just hope for the best? What do you reckon?

ruscara

Visit site
Nah! You've been having us on! Sweet little pony, and so good, too!

No, I do believe you really
smile.gif
and I am again in awe of your patience with these opinionated ponies. Saddle and bridle, eh! This should be worth reading about!
ooo.gif

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
God butter wouldn't melt eh!

[/ QUOTE ]
I know - I keep telling OH to take photos/video of her showing her 'dark side of the Force' side, so people will believe my 'tall tales' of horridness personified! LOL

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Good on you for having the patience with her and for potentially sacrificing Middle Daughter

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, she doesn't have shoes on & isn't 'nasty', so she doesn't come after you once you're on the ground - just carries on plunging round the school - might get 'run over' accidentally I suppose!

Biggest worry is, the speed at which people come off - literally catalpauted through the air sideways usually & pony is so small, there is little time to 'save yourself' with a decent 'breakfall' & those I have seen come off, tend to hit the ground very hard as they're spun sideways & then 'whallop' - flat on their back, winded!

Haven't given MD any instructions as yet - will see pony's reacion to saddle/bridle again first, I think & take it from there!

Tia

Visit site
Wow she looks like just the sweetest pony in the video! Looks can be deceiving eh! Keep up the good work and you just might have a super little pony in the making.

JAK

Visit site
Dunno what we'd do with her though!
frown.gif

None of the girls seem overkeen on showing her in-hand, as you apparently need your show cane to protect yourself with (it doesn't 'nip' at shows - it 'bites'!) & I can't imagine her ever being safe enough to let off the lead rein with a tiny tot on board!
shocked.gif

She seems to like jumping though, maybe we could persuade littlest daughter to be a bit more 'adventurous' in her equine activities? LOL

sojeph

Visit site
What about turning her into a games pony? I have a SWUO too and TBH thats all I could imagine her doing!! She's too sharp for little ones off the lead (0-60 in the blink of an eye!) and too small for anyone capable enough. Hence, she's a field ornament collecting melanomas
crazy.gif

Boodle

Visit site
Fantabulous!

I too was thinking games pony!

And middle daughter could probably get away with doing games on the little tyke... being able to get on easily is always an advantage!

Good luck with her!

JAK

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I too was thinking games pony!
And middle daughter could probably get away with doing games on the little tyke... being able to get on easily is always an advantage!

[/ QUOTE ]
Games pony eh? I never thought of that! Wonder what that would involve? (Apart from being able to get a saddle & bridle on it obviously! LOL)
grin.gif