smaller trailers and safety - advice

JLD

Visit site
Having had a horrendous trailer accident despite adhering to all safety recommendations, towing well under weight with a Discovery etc, I am nervous even contemplating towing and my husband would probably pass out if he knew I was broaching it. However I keep my 13.2 pony at home with no facilities and poor hacking and would love to get him out and about, I can't afford a little lorry. What is anyone's experience of smaller trailers are they more unstable ? Difficult to tow ? I had a IW 510 before as my horse was just short of 17hh. As I feel sick even posting this perhaps I should just not bother !!!

Elsbells

Visit site
I picked up an old lorry for £2,500, it gets me n my mare out and about and we've even done a fun ride. It's great for going out for the day, we both feel safe and I've got room for friends and their horses too. I'm scared of trailers tbh.

webble

Visit site
Do you need your discovery? If not you may find a cheap small lorry and a cheap small car are cheaper to run than a 4x4 and trailer. I looked into it and the box was about 300 a year cheaper for me when taking into account fuel costs etc

JLD

Visit site
The discovery was a write off ! I have a good tow car now though even though I don't tow as I need a 4wd where I live in winter. I think a little older lorry may be the answer though or I just stay at home !

Elsbells

Visit site
The discovery was a write off ! I have a good tow car now though even though I don't tow as I need a 4wd where I live in winter. I think a little older lorry may be the answer though or I just stay at home !

Yeah, a little older lorry is the answer and if your OH is handy, once you've bought it it'll be fairly cheap to keep on the road. We spent 5 years going round and round the farm because my girl wouldn't go on a trailer and tbh again, I was nervous of them too. It doesn't make me feel easy knowing I'm in one vehicle and she's in another with a trailer and that there's only a ball n hook keeping us together. In the lorry I'm chilled. She can do what she likes between those hefty partitions, I know that she's looking out of her window, eating her net and most importantly I know that she's safe.

ROG

Visit site
Basic car or estate with a lightweight trailer with one horse is done very safely by loads on here as long as its on hard ground

Many with just a B licence do it weekly

JLD

Visit site
My car is a sorrento so it can tow - my worry is more if I can !! ( I know I can legally as passed test in 1993 ) is a lighter trailer as stable as a heavier one and if so which makes come up light ? Thanks

Fides

Visit site
Do you need your discovery? If not you may find a cheap small lorry and a cheap small car are cheaper to run than a 4x4 and trailer. I looked into it and the box was about 300 a year cheaper for me when taking into account fuel costs etc

I found this! My 3.5t costs less to tax than my landy did and my little run around is free tax. The petrol saved is amazing! I used to put £90 a week in my landy and now only use about £50 a fortnight and the diddy wagon is economical too

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I take my 13 hand pony around in an Ifor HB403 with a 2L car and have never had any problems with it feeling unstable and it tows really well.

AliceCrail

Visit site
Would a couple of lessons help? A friend of mine is a very nervous driver and was considering having some refresher lessons. In the end she did an anxiety course instead to tackle the root of the problem. Maybe this is something that might also help?

JLD

Visit site
That's good advice and something I have already done which is why I think I am even considering it !

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Having had a horrendous trailer accident despite adhering to all safety recommendations, towing well under weight with a Discovery etc, I am nervous even contemplating towing and my husband would probably pass out if he knew I was broaching it. However I keep my 13.2 pony at home with no facilities and poor hacking and would love to get him out and about, I can't afford a little lorry. What is anyone's experience of smaller trailers are they more unstable ? Difficult to tow ? I had a IW 510 before as my horse was just short of 17hh. As I feel sick even posting this perhaps I should just not bother !!!

I had a horrific trailer accident in the 80's, I will not tow again so I brought myself a horsebox and feel much happier driving that.

Could you afford to hire a lorry or go shares with a lorry??