Smallest I could ride?

rallan15

Visit site
I'm 5'3 and 58kg (127lbs) I usually ride a 15.2hh Cob but I was wondering how small I could go. I've ridden a 12.2hh Welsh before (in the picture) but that was just once a week for 15mins to exercise him. I know it depends on horse breed, how fit they are etc but in general what does everyone think?

image_123923953.JPG

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I'm a tiny bit taller (5ft4/5) and a similar weight to you. My own horse is 16.2, but my share pony is a 13.3/14hh New Forest who seems to have absolutely no problem carrying me on pretty decent hacks!

It's a very difficult question to answer, there's a "rule" that the rider (+tack) shouldn't be more than 15-20% of the horses body weight. It also depends what you want to do on them, asking a horse to carry you round a 30minute walk/trot hack is very different to asking them to event/jump round an XC course with you! Personally, I'd be relatively happy regularly riding and jumping something 13.2hh or above, maybe a stocky 13/13.1hh, but as you said it depends so much on the horse: conformation, fitness, build...

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I'm 5'6 and just over 10 stone and every so often sit on a 13h for 10 mins to walk him round. I pay someone smaller to ride him for me but if she can't come I just do it for short periods so that he doesbt forget. He's stocky and doesn't seem to be phased in the slightest. If I was under 10stone I would do more, and that's a work in progress!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wouldn't expect you to look right on anything under 14hh, OP and it would depend on the build of the pony at that. You will need something chunky enough to take up your leg, or you won't be sitting in the right place, with your legs in the correct position. You may also find that a smaller pony can't take a big enough saddle for you.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I wouldn't expect you to look right on anything under 14hh, OP and it would depend on the build of the pony at that. You will need something chunky enough to take up your leg, or you won't be sitting in the right place, with your legs in the correct position. You may also find that a smaller pony can't take a big enough saddle for you.

I am same height & weight as OP. Do I look wrong on Dave? (Worried now)

be positive

Visit site
I am same height & weight as OP. Do I look wrong on Dave? (Worried now)

Don't be worried, I am a similar height and have ridden anything from 12.2 upwards, one of my livery owners is 5ft 7or8 in and has 2 ponies one at just under 14 hands is a tad too small but still performs well enough, no issue with saddles either provided the pony is well put together.

shirl62

Visit site
Goodness at 4' 10'' (officially 4' 9 1/2'' ) with short legs and around 118lbs (losing slowly) a native type would be perfect...

Dreaming again !

Shirl

spugs

Visit site
I’m 5”11 and 9 st my pony was a 14hh cob and took up my leg brilliantly. I have ridden smaller chunky types on occasion.

TwyfordM

Visit site
Totally depends of type, when working on the RS I was riding a 13.2 chunk of a new forest with a very short and compact body, short chunky legs and I'm 5ft11... Biggest issue in the long term would have been saddle to fit us both, riding in short stirrups to give better aids wasn't ideal but we had a lot of fun. I couldn't ride a slimmer 14.2, but also regularly rode a 14.2 Welsh D who felt a much better size for me but my length of legs is probably only ever going to look right on 16.2 plus...
I like around 15.1 and chunky. That's my ideal

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site

Oh for goodness sake PaS, have you ever stood next to an exmoor pony or a fell? They are quite different in build to welshies and most newfies. Dave's mam you look fab on Dave.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
Can I just say I find it completely unacceptable that persons on this thread have had messages sent privately to them to degrade them and told they’re too big for their animals! Unless you’re standing looking at them in real life keep your bloody opinions to yourself or at least have the gall to say so in public not hide behind private messages! Bloody disgrace.

Hallo2012

Visit site
im 5'7, 7 stone 10 and my welsh B is 13hh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i never intended to go so small but he stole my heart..............im currently backing him and he carries me absolutely fine :)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Can I just say I find it completely unacceptable that persons on this thread have had messages sent privately to them to degrade them and told they’re too big for their animals! Unless you’re standing looking at them in real life keep your bloody opinions to yourself or at least have the gall to say so in public not hide behind private messages! Bloody disgrace.

whaaaat?! cockwombles and idiots to boot.

eta no wonder some of our native breeds are at risk. half the horsey population lack the nous to deal with them and the other, allegedly experienced half think that they cant be ridden by kids or adults. they are missing out, thats all I can say.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
So true how many kids would be able to break and train a 12.2 pony to any great standard without a small adults help. Kids can b great riders but will still lack the physical strength and experience to do so. Some people would have you think the only horse anyone can ride is a bloody elephant!!!

I’m a tall and heavier built rider. I have an appropriately large horse and I of course wouldn’t ride a pony, but some adults are smaller than half the kids riding so just let them ride whatever they feel ok on!

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

I rarely disagree with you PAS, but this time I think you are talking out of your rear end!
In one complete swoop, you have dissed off most native pony riders!! (of which I am one!)
Think again and try not to generalise m'dear, its ruddy rude to do that :(

OP, I'd look plain daft and severely underhorsed if I rode a 13.2/3 LW riding pony or welsh B, but I'm fine on a same height Fell to compete at all activites

Equi, I hope you/the recipients, have reported the insulting PM's to Fatty, this sort of bullying is very frowned on here.

rallan15

Visit site

WHAT??!! I definitely didn't start this thread so people can bully one another. Ridiculous! If anyone who has had one of these PM's please report the person and ignore them.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site

This is a vile practice.
Perhaps we should start naming and shaming to put an end to it.

Jingleballs

Visit site
I'm 5'7, weight 11 stone (was almost 12 up until about a month ago and aiming to lose another half stone).

I've previously owned a 14.2 hw cob, recently was sharing a similar horse and have just bought another 14.2 cob who is not as heavy weight and a bit more petite than my last - I don't think she'll have any issues with me. A well fitting saddle and a balanced rider make a huge difference.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Ponies are ponies, not scaled down horses. They are strong and can carry quite large weights. Henry Blake (Horse Whisperer from years ago who rode all sorts including TBs) said that his best hunter was a 12.2 welsh pony and he was 11 stone including tack.

Dave's Mum you looked perfect, have fun.

Hipo

Visit site
My 12.2hh Exmoor would definitely! I am similar weight & height to you.

Gratuitous Dave pic.
26167689_10156246635499739_6895621065820145860_n.jpg

You look perfect on Dave. Exmoors are mini tanks, ours is at least as wide as our highland!
I'm 5'2" and 9st and was doing pony games with the kids on her recently. It was amazing fun :)

Rollin

Visit site
A do everything Highland Pony. Breed standard is 14.2hh. Although my love is Shagya Arabs and Cleveland Bays - we have a well bred Highland too. I am 5'6" and 62kgs. A Highland will take up to 15 stone.

When I was about 5 kgs lighter I would ride a 13h pony.