Smallest pony that could carry 11 stone?

little_mistress13

Visit site
I am looking for a pony for my 7 year old niece. As I will be the full time carer of it I was also looking to ride it when needed. Even though my niece is 7, she is a big girl. Wears 9 - 10 year clothes. I am 5'11 and weigh about 11 stone so what size and breed pony that would be good enough size for my niece as her horse but also be able to carry me a few times a week as my niece would be in school etc.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
A new forest? Could be narrow enough for your niece and strong enough to carry you. But at 5'11 you're going to look tall on any pony :)

be positive

Visit site
Your niece needs a small first pony, about 12.2, fairly narrow and not a weight carrier, it needs to be quiet and safe for her, be suitable in size so she is not overhorsed that is not compatible with a 5'11 adult to ride, you would have to exercise it in some other way. You may be able to share her next pony but to try to find one that fits you both is unrealistic and she will be the one who misses out on the fun of having a small pony to enjoy.

rascal

Visit site
Many years ago i had a very stocky 14 hand native, i was 10 stone my hubby was 11 stone and he used to ride her with no problem. We taught several kids to ride on her, the youngest was about 7. I would go for something similar.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
You need a small cob type really, our 13.2 schoolmaster cob would have taught her and you could have ridden him too. Or a Highland type native. Both of you would be better off with something else rather than having one to share.

little_mistress13

Visit site
A new forest? Could be narrow enough for your niece and strong enough to carry you. But at 5'11 you're going to look tall on any pony :)

lol I gathered I would look silly. I wouldn't ride him out. Just keep him in shape in the field as my niece will only be able to see him 3 times a week.

little_mistress13

Visit site
You need a small cob type really, our 13.2 schoolmaster cob would have taught her and you could have ridden him too. Or a Highland type native. Both of you would be better off with something else rather than having one to share.

I am currently riding a 15hh so wouldn't bothered if I couldn't ride hers. Just thought it would be handy if I could when needed.

Boxers

Visit site
When my girls were 8 and 10 we got our first pony, Tom, and he was a 13.2 welsh C. I am 5'6" and weighed about 9 st at the time. My younger daughter had no trouble riding him, she wasn't too small at all. And although I am shorter than you, i don' think you wd look daft on a 13.2. I used to love hacking him out when the girls were at school.

windand rain

Visit site
A 13hh highland pony fell or cobby type. A minimum of 9inches of bone with sort strong flat boned cannons. A well schooled highland is a joy to own as long as it hasn't been allowed to get either stuffy or to throw its weight around
Mine has taught kids from 4 to 74 to ride and has been ridden regularly by my 5ft10 friend without looking silly
This 14 year old is about 5.8
Alaska078.jpg

Last edited:
Visit site
An Exmoor or and up to height Dartmoor. I have a 12.2hh darty who is built like the proverbial outhouse! You could always drive them to keep them fit?

sasquatch

Visit site
Really depends on what you're looking for, and what your local horse market is like.

Definitely think a strong native type is ideal for you. If you're planning to keep the pony for a few years it might be an idea to look for something she'll still be able to ride in 2 years time without being too big for it, but is able to ride now without being far too small.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Considering that my 6ft4 cousin (he's a skinny teenager and comes well under the max weight I'd put on her) didn't look silly on my 15hh arab who's a mostly Crabbet, chunky type, I'd say that how well the pony takes up your leg matters. Short but chunky would be what I'd look for.

Tnavas

Visit site
Your niece needs a small first pony, about 12.2, fairly narrow and not a weight carrier, it needs to be quiet and safe for her, be suitable in size so she is not overhorsed that is not compatible with a 5'11 adult to ride, you would have to exercise it in some other way. You may be able to share her next pony but to try to find one that fits you both is unrealistic and she will be the one who misses out on the fun of having a small pony to enjoy.

Totally agree. It's not fun being overhorsed! A friend recently discovered this after buying her 9yr old a full height pony. She can't play games because she can't reach the equipment. She struggles to get on, groom, tack up or put covers on.

They are now looking for a 12.2hh

pennyturner

Visit site
The compromise is width. To be suitable for an adult, avoid narrow show pony types. Look for a Dartmoor or Welsh which is built like a tank, so it will take up your leg. An Exmoor or mini-cob would also fit the bill, as mentioned by earlier posters.
Children do fine on wide ponies (harder to fall off), even if they dont' look quite as 'smart'.

This is Buster (12.2 Dartmoor), who has taken me hunting, and puts a grin on my face like a cheshire cat!

attachment.php

Dizzle

Visit site
I learned to ride on a chunky 13.2hh at the age of 5, 25 years later I now own a slightly less chunky 13.2hh, I'm 5ft 8 and was always a tall child as well. First pony was a Welsh X and current pony is a New Forest.

After the original 13.2 I did go down to a 12.2hh until I was 17 :D

Patchworkpony

Visit site
The compromise is width. To be suitable for an adult, avoid narrow show pony types. Look for a Dartmoor or Welsh which is built like a tank, so it will take up your leg. An Exmoor or mini-cob would also fit the bill, as mentioned by earlier posters.
Children do fine on wide ponies (harder to fall off), even if they dont' look quite as 'smart'.

This is Buster (12.2 Dartmoor), who has taken me hunting, and puts a grin on my face like a cheshire cat!

attachment.php

Please can we see the picture.

OWLIE185

Visit site
You require a Traditional Welsh Mountain Pony which are from 12.2" in height and quite stocky. The farmers in Mid-Wales use them for rounding up the sheep for dipping and shearing. They will go all day and have a laid back temperament. Quite difficult to find these days as they have tried to make the breed more lightweight which is a bit of a shame.

pennyturner

Visit site
You require a Traditional Welsh Mountain Pony which are from 12.2" in height and quite stocky. The farmers in Mid-Wales use them for rounding up the sheep for dipping and shearing. They will go all day and have a laid back temperament. Quite difficult to find these days as they have tried to make the breed more lightweight which is a bit of a shame.

I have one of these. He's my best driving pony, and in terms of stamina strength and determination he's a machine; trots alongside cantering full sized horses. :)
He's a kicker, unfortunately, and I wouldn't recommend him as a comfortable ride. Choppy action, very short neck and back. It's like riding a motorised unicycle... with the occasional buck.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A friends daughter when she was 8 was looking for a pony, she had a 12.2 on loan for a while but she was sharp and she soon lost confidence so pony went back, they kept going to look at similar height ponies and the girl just did not feel safe on any of them, anyway her Nan heard about a 14.1 new forest type for sale he was 17 been there done it kind of pony, they went to try and and the girl straight away said she felt safe and was happy to ride him off lead rein, she is 11 now and still has him they win everything at the local shows his a diamond pony, so I think sometimes a bigger pony can work if its the right one good luck with your search.

minesadouble

Visit site
Welsh Mountain ponies cannot exceed 12hh. A small welsh pony of cob type (section C) might do the trick.
However, it is hard enough to find a genuine kids first pony without adding any extra criteria.
If I were you I would concentrate on finding the right pony first and if it will carry you it would be a bonus.
Having started 3 kids of my own off riding I would always underhorse rather than over horse.
I have a very tall almost 7 year old daughter and she looks like a pea on a drum on our 13.2 NF, she looks far better on her own 12 hander.
Good luck in your search!

Tnavas

Visit site

]

This is not always so, as a riding school owner we had an old pony we sometimes used for pony rides until a couple of mums complained that their children hurt in their hips after riding him. He was full height and wide.