smallist size stable for 2 horses?

Chex

Visit site
Just wondering what you would class as an an acceptable size of pen/stable for 2 horses to stay in overnight? One is 14.1, one is about 15,2, and they are in 10-12 hours a night. They get on really well (actually seperating them is more of a problem, but thats a whole different issue!). They are in a cattle court thats 25ft by 30ft, but I worry they might be getting stressed with being in together (I had hoped they would be happer together, more natural for them), because its too small a space? Or does that size sound adequate for the 2 of them?
confused.gif
horses are such a worry!

Happytohack

Visit site
If they get on well, they should be absolutely fine - 25 x 30 is a pretty large space if you think that the average size stable is 12 ft square. My two geldings get on really well and they shared a 16ft square stable for a couple of months while we had to have some urgent stable alterations. One horse is 17.3 and the other is 14 hands! - they looked so sweet lying down together, they shared their feeds (much to the pony's delight) and were very happy. Your two are probably much happier in their big space than if they were separated into small boxes - I think you are worrying unnecessarily
smile.gif

Chex

Visit site
Ok thanks guys, I will stop worrying! They do get on well, Chex is the boss, and K just fits in around him. They never fight, just pull the odd evil face at each other. I'm sure they're happier together than they would be in smaller seperate stables. I worry a bit that Chex doean't seem to be lying down, but it could just be that the bedding is fluffed up again by them wondering around, rather than left in a squashed horse shape. Thanks again x