Smarten me up for day to day riding please?

Lady2021

Visit site
If you really want to look smart base layer and some nice riding pants and a nice riding cost. I always seem to be covered in dirt no matter how much I try to stay clean. ?

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I like my Musto BR1 jacket. Waterproof, longer in the back and washes well. I usually go with plain colour jodphurs and breeches without logos so they don't obviously age. And headbands to avoid hat hair.

As for layering, I have a M&S thermal long sleeve top which keeps me very warm so I can just pop a fleece over the top. I love noble outfitters cowls. Any half zip fleece will work well between a good coat and a thermal layer underneath. Look at walking gear for nice things that work.

Definitely look at what's available for hiking and skiing. What is next to your skin keeps you warm, as long as you keep it dry and keep the wind out. Nobody sees it (unless it's a turtleneck or long-sleeved undershirt that is in a contrasting colour to what's over the top).

The top layers keep out the wind and wet, and this is what people see...

I'm a bloke, not all that bothered about even trying to keep up with what's considered fashionable, and I don't really feel the cold (unless I'm tired and hungry).

But for what it's worth I wear a white, short-sleeved, cotton, V neck tee shirt. In really cold weather I wear a white, long-sleeved, thermal-fibre, turtle-neck tee shirt that I originally bought for skiing. Over that I wear a black Dickies or Ralph Lauren heavyweight cotton long-sleeved shirt; the weave is tight enough to keep out the wind unless it is really blowing hard. If it is raining hard, I wear a black Barbour Long Biker waxed cotton jacket over the top.

I usually wear a pair of dark blue Shires Saddle-Hugger jods, but sometimes I wear a pair of reproduction M1943 breeches from Soldier of Fortune. Heavyweight wool, lined, warm.

In wet weather, I wear rubber riding boots with thermal inner soled added. I have two pairs of these boots; one bought from Decathlon for €12 in 2012 and still going strong, the other pair bought brand new at a car-boot kind of sale last summer for €10, marked "ROMIKA TURF Handmade in West Germany"... I suppose that they might have been made from after re-unification, using old moulds (they could have been made before 1990, but kept in perfect conditions, because they are as good as new). In drier weather, I have a pair of leather Soubirac boots bought at a big mark-down from a discounter through ebay; they were discontinued and mis-marked (inside, marked as 44 but on the sole one was marked as a 43).

The idea of wearing a hat to hide the "sweaty helmet hair" sounds good, but really I don't have that problem; I've lost a lot of hair, and in any case I usually douse my head under the tap after I've ridden, so it is more like a "just stepped out of the shower" look. :D

sportsmansB

Visit site
To be honest I think riding in yard boots looks a bit untidy all the time (and they are quite big for stirrups too)

I got some fleece lined mark todd riding boots which were about £100 and look much tidier and have asturdy enough sole for a bit off wee etc, because when its really cold I hate changing into freezing riding boots after doing yard chores. But in the summer its not too much hassle to change into proper footwear to ride

TulipTilly

Visit site
I really like Mountain Warehouse too for reasonable priced thin fleece tops, great for layering and cheap enough not to worry if they get left lying around