smegma!

gable

Visit site
Dirty stinky black sticky stuff! My new horse needs his sheath cleaning badly, he actually had it stuck down one leg this morning. Problem is, he won't let me anywhere near his sheath without kicking out.

Is this going to be a phone call to the vets and sedation?

Should I be worried as he has loads of the stuff?

Natz88

Visit site
2 of mine get it, one of which gets it bad, luckily both are fine to have them cleaned so we just clean them more often, if anything they actually enjoy it being done. I wouldn't worry to much it will just be a case of trying to give it a good clean & keep it as clean as poss.

Archangel

Visit site
Honestly, trust me :cool: natural yoghurt, the live stuff, left out of the fridge for a while to get it warmed up a bit and live again. Apply liberally with a cloth, very few object to this :cool: you can work it up inside the sheath and it restores the healthy balance of bacteria. Do it daily for a few days.

*Warning* mark yoghurt pot when putting back in fridge so that family members to not eat it by accident :)

Gilbey

Visit site
I champion baby oil too. The yoghurt idea sounds kinky to me, :) but I can see how it works! If it really is that bad then maybe ask the vet for some sedative and do it that way first. Good luck!

gable

Visit site
Thanks - will have a go at cleaning it again tomorrow.

I have always had geldings but never seen this much of the stuff before

Waffles

Visit site
My old horse used to get that a lot. I used to put sudocreme on it and it would all loosen off after a couple of days. luckily he didn't mind being touched there though!

Fantasy_World

Visit site
The kinky yoghurt made me chuckle, but could see how it would have its place seeing as women can use it for thrush.
Baby oil for me and warm water wherever possible to wash the smegma off with a sponge/cloth. One of my horses didn't like IT touched at first and tried to kick out but I just kept at it and he relented and now enjoys it.
I don't do my boys that often only usually when I start smelling the stuff or see that they are a bit gunky down there.
To OP if in any doubt just make sure you wear a hat and if possible have a friend or someone with you. Could try lifting a leg up while you do it, even if just to squirt some baby oil up there to loosen it. Maybe try giving him a feed while you do, to distract him.
I have not met many geldings that didn't mind it being done. Of course there are some that will probably never like it so a vet call out is the only option.
When you can get close enough to check him out properly it may be worth seeing if he has a bean in his urethra? There is a chance he may be kicking out if he is uncomfortable down there.
Good luck and stick with it. My motto is that geldings need that extra helping hand as you don't get geldings in the wild and stallions manage to clean their's quite easily themselves.

noblesteed

Visit site
Yuck! My boy gets a bit oozy at times and it gets on his legs too! It's horrid! Then I know it's time to grit my teeth and get in there... It's taken a while but he lets me clean his now. When I first got him he wouldn't let me anywhere near it, he would even threaten to kick if I touched his stifle! I just gradually got closer and closer. Now he lets me touch it, and when he is getting a full groom he pops out the old chap so I can clean that too!!! He isn't keen on cold water, prefers warm hands (ergh!)
Haven't tried baby oil, just use plain water but you can buy sheath cleanser.

soloequestrian

Visit site
My boy has started to produce more as he's got older. The first clean needed the vet and a proper sedative, the next time I used ACP and had my husband scratch the horse in his itchy spot (girth groove) to take his mind off what I was doing, next time scratching only and now he will let me clean everything without any distractions - think he realised that it's quite nice really! I only use warm water.

Waffles

Visit site
mine will get his willy out if you brush between his back legs gently. I've only had him 4 months though so I'm not sure how impressed he would be if I started cleaning him there!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
keep a spray bottle (one of the baby oil ones that has a very fine spray) of 1/4 baby oil and 3/4 water in your grooming kit. (you have to shake it before use), wait until horse drops (mine do after exercise) and spray on-never have to do much else. I'd be wary of using anything neat anything, even baby oil-especially on the pink ones!

Visit site
Your all very brave, i think if i even entertained cleaning my appys willy he'd launch me into orbit! x

^^ Ditto with my Appy! (It must be an Appy thing!) Mine does get quite a dirty sheath, but he has to be sedated to have it cleaned as he won't let me anywhere near it. It is usually worse when he is stabled. Most of the time, though it usually lasts for a few days and then goes on it's own.