Smelly bed!

StellaArtois

Visit site
Hi
Needing some advice, I have moved to a new yard and love it but my smelly mare is on straw with rubber matting. This is included in the price of the livery, I can change to other bedding if I want but obviously at extra cost. My main problem is the smell, she is in a bit more and is a very wet girl, and I find the smell is constantly on me, my jackets and clothes. My electricity bill on washing will be doubled shortly.
Any suggestions on what to change to that won't break the bank!

ihatework

Visit site
I'd do a weekly semi deep litter with a layer of wood pellets and then deep straw over the top. Should cure the smell issue (apart from the one wet muck out day!)

SCMSL

Visit site
Mares tend to pee nearer to the walls of the stall, so spreading some pellets there should do the trick.

blacksabbeth

Visit site
I found this works also with my mare but I used shaveings as a base layer,shes on semi deep litter and works perfectly....so I dont stink and neither does she,my gelding next door actually enjoys chatting her up now.

Littlelegs

Visit site
My mare is very wet (drinks loads) & on straw but I've never had an issue. I do a nice thick bed & leave it up to dry each day. Midweek I empty a water bucket over the area she wee's & wkend hose the front out, even though we're on concrete. If your rubber mats aren't properly laid it will contribute to smells. I think the secret is either a deep bed & allowing floor to dry daily, or a massive deep litter, either left or done weekly.

Skipadeedooda

Visit site
I use shredded cardboard and love it. Odour free, highly absorbent and makes a nice bed. There are various companies doing it now but I get mine from our local council recycling plant (cardboard is all untreated) and costs about £4.50 for a shavings sized bale delivered.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Get a sack of Lime Powder and sprinkle that all over the floor once or twice a week. That will neutralise most of the smell.
Trouble with rubber mats is that the pee gets under and unless the mats are removed hard to get it clean.

kc100

Visit site
I used to have the same problem with my old share horse, he was incredibly wet and when he was on straw I came home absolutely stinking, every item of clothing had to go straight in the wash!

We changed him to shavings (safemix) and never had that problem again, safemix is pretty good value for shavings as well and they are nice small shavings so easy to muck out too (larger shavings are a pain to muck out). With horses that are very wet and have a strong smell of ammonia in their stables, I have read (I'm sure others will disagree though!) that deep littering is a bad idea because of the ammonia lingering and can cause coughs and other respiritory problems.

My old share horse had a terrible cough when he was on straw and it wasnt a dust allergy, it was because of the ammonia. When we changed him to a shallow layer of shavings his cough went away, the shallow layer meant we could take his bed back every day and let the centre dry out rather than only being able to do that once a week with a deep litter bed. We would go through about 2 bags of shavings a week with safemix, he had rubber mats so we could get away with a fairly shallow layer.

So I think as long as you have rubber mats a shallow layer of shavings should do the trick and you shouldnt go home quite as smelly anymore!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Thick layer of shaving underneath and lots of straw on top, air it for at least a couple of hours, wash out frequently and wear some coveralls to stop the smell going in your clothes.

Fjord

Visit site
I swear by wood pellet bedding, mine is super absorbent and I take the wet out once a week.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I use megazorb underneath the straw which does a really good job of soaking up and getting rid of the smell. I put it down in his common wee patches, top it up every so often, break it up, and remove the worse bits once or twice a week.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Get some of the disinfectant powder.
A few different ones available.
Very good for smells and wet.

Also may be worth putting a layer of shavings or pellets down underneath.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I hate the smell of straw beds. They may look nice, but if you have to muck them out, the smell seeps into everything, including your hair. It is awful. I would never go back to it except for a mare about to foal.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
See, whilst I appreciate straw has a certain aroma, I think shavings beds are far more pungent and repellant. Straw with megazorb honestly doesn't smell at all :)

smokey

Visit site
Another vote for a layer of shavings under the straw. I wash out once a week with Dettol, and spray a dilute solution every day. Bed never smells.