Smelly dog

windand rain

Visit site
I hate to say it but Willow stinks very doggy with a wiff of damp dog about her. She has skin problems since being spayed so needs everything to be gentle on her skin. Does anyone know of a wipe ot deodorant for hypersensitive skin that works bed is changed daily in her crate the mats on the carpet probably twice a week. Do some sort of wipe that doesn't get her wet would be ideal. She is covered in cream which does improve the smell a bit

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I was finding Jack very smelly, until I dropped a fish oil supplement I was giving him. Smell disappeared.

Any chance it could be diet related?

skinnydipper

Visit site
I hate to say it but Willow stinks very doggy with a wiff of damp dog about her. She has skin problems since being spayed so needs everything to be gentle on her skin. Does anyone know of a wipe ot deodorant for hypersensitive skin that works bed is changed daily in her crate the mats on the carpet probably twice a week. Do some sort of wipe that doesn't get her wet would be ideal. She is covered in cream which does improve the smell a bit

What cream is she covered in and why? Is she still chewing her paws?

In the first instance, I think it would be better to try to find out why she smells.

She could have malassezia overgrowth secondary to allergies or, as planete has suggested, malassezia overgrowth secondary to hypothyroidism.

You may be able to find the primary cause and treat that, which might not be either of the suggestions above :)

What does your vet say?

windand rain

Visit site
He just gave apoquel and said it was common. it did improve very slightly but was concerned as she has already had cancer and the improvement didn't warrant the risk. Anti histamine and 1% steroid cream alternated days. It is a worry in the old girl she now has apple cider with mother once a day which has helped the itching more than the apoquel did and is safer. Yes still paw chewing which is a nightmare in hot weather as have been hosing the front, carpark road and footpath to get her out to the field for a wee on very hot days. The neighbours think I am bonkers. Think I might change vet for the farm vet he is far more proactive
Any thoughts on boots

skinnydipper

Visit site
Did your vet think environmental allergy or food allergy? Is it seasonal?

If it is food allergy a hydrolysed diet might help, or an elimination diet to try and find the problematic foods

If a malassezia overgrowth is causing the smell, your vet may wish to prescribe Malaseb shampoo.

Any thoughts on boots

Protex Pawz boots when she goes out might help if it is environmental.

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
MYbe it could be a grass pollen allergy but its worth trying a hydrolysed diet as mentioned my lurcher is on purina HA and has been for 5 years as it suits her so well, she has a whole list of allergies but if the food is managed everything is very very low level and it doesn't really worry her at all, if the diet is not managed everything else on top makes her incredibly itchy, her ears sore and her very smelly.

pistolpete

Visit site
There are sim pet deodorants and pet wipes available. Used both on my old spaniel but most important is to test cause. If it’s yeast then malaseb shampoo is amazing. Prescription only sadly.