Smelly PROtector hat

fairyclare

Visit site
My PROtector hat stinks!
I am not an overly sweaty person but I really sweat in this hat and as a result, its stinks and makes my hair stink too.

Is there any way of cleaning the lining?
I didn't realise when I handed over nearly £400 for it that it wasn't a removable liner :(
II only wear it for Dressage, schooling/lessons and the odd hack.

I want to clean it then invest in some DryBrow.

9tails

Visit site
I use Red Rum Hat and Boot Deodoriser. It's fantastic stuff; my hat became smelly after I'd had it a month or so, I sprayed in the deodoriser and even after a year there's no smell from the hat. It's also pretty cheap and you can get a job lot from Ebay!

Mrs G

Visit site
May not help now if the smell is ingrained (!) but for future prevention; after I ride I always give the inside of my hat a quick wipe down with a baby wipe to help keep it clean and odour free x

SpringArising

Visit site
I give mine a proper clean with soap and a sponge and let dry, then put in a very thin panty liner at the front of the hat. Once you've washed the hat you shouldn't need to do it again because you can then just change the liners as and when you need to.

ruth83

Visit site
How long have you had the hat?

On a hat fitting course we were told that if the hat was very smelly, it was probable that you had sweated into it sufficiently to break down the protective properties.

fairyclare

Visit site
How long have you had the hat?

On a hat fitting course we were told that if the hat was very smelly, it was probable that you had sweated into it sufficiently to break down the protective properties.

I have had it a year, but, due to a rather nasty fall (prior to buying the hat and the reason I went for the highest standard I could) I haven't used it all that much at all.