Smiths Lawn Prep - 1 wk to go

BBs

Visit site
Been a while since Ive written one of these, but back by public demand, here is the start of my weekly prep for Smiths Lawn Horse Trials next Tuesday.

Things have been running smoothly so far, lots of hacking, and jumping recently and Winstons fitness is definitely on the up now
smile.gif

We've been making full use of the facilities at the new yard and have been using the walker on a daily basis, 30 minutes at a time usually before work, be it hacking for a further hour or jumping for 30 minutes.

Schooling has been kept to a minimum as clearly its our SJing which is still letting us down even though he has been jumping double clears mainly this season with the odd blip along the way.

After suffering with a poison foot for 2 days, last week we were back riding by Tuesday so he wasnt off for too long.

Monday night due to the accident on the A34 which cause traffic gridlock around our village our planned hacking was re-routed to 30 minutes on the walker and 30 minutes schooling! and boy did he give me a great feel! he has got a bit naughty with neighing as he can see his buds in the stables or on the walker, but when hes in this sort of mood, hes usually very forward and up which I use to my advantage
smile.gif

Since having his back done he is very straight which showed up at our last event at Cheltenham scoring 8's in both down the centre lines. His canter and trot work were ace to say the least, very forward into a light contact but very up in the shoulder and coming through nicely from behind - i could seriously feel the power hitting me up the backside
grin.gif
something that he rarely does - Winston isnt known for over working himself
smirk.gif

I also have use of an Equissage machine now which is really helping him, although he is a real chilled out chap, he doesnt take quite so long to get soft in his neck and back
smile.gif

On Tuesday morning, I had booked him in for another chiro treatment. This means now he has to have two day without me on his back, but is able to be put on the walker for 30 minutes a day, and tonight i will probably lunge him also
smile.gif
plus use the equissage.

His weight, thankfully isnt causing too much problems, which has got to be a first at this time of year!

He is fully clipped out now, which he is finding far more comfortable, although typical the weather had changed, so he is now wearing a night sheet
smirk.gif
hes such a girl!!!

Thursday, I plan to ride him in the school and give him a jump, his back is much better and the chiro is pleased but says there is still a slight problem of weakness on the off side.

I now have the YO's SJing son on the yard, he is off to jump in the IT class at Bicester and Finmere show on sunday and I am planning to do the BN and Discovery - my first ever BSJA show
shocked.gif

Sssshhhh dont tell anyone, but Im quite enjoying this SJing lark - they are desperate to convert me, but Winston and I are resisting
wink.gif

Come tomorrow I shall have more of an idea on how the big man is feeling and hopefully come Friday I will have my first lesson with YO's son, just hope he doesnt get too excited about the size of the fences. I know hes used to jumping 1.50 classes, little old me likes to stick around 1.05m! although they are still banging on i should be entering the 1.15 class on sunday - But I have PUT MY FOOT DOWN on this lol.

Right, back tomorrow.

Oh yeah, quick update on Connie, she is still fat
smirk.gif
but getting fitter
smile.gif
nearly dislodged me yesterday in the wind, and we were only walking and trotting lol so to really push my luck Im taking her round the canter fields.

So okay I might not be back tomorrow lol

Catch you all later

Vxx

Beanyowner

Visit site
Eeek!! Good luck with Connie in the canter fields!! LOL!!

Nice to hear everything is in order...I will be taking charge of care and maintenance on the day of Smiths Lawn...Vix just has to ride and stay calm. Winnie is such a sweety...take it all in his stride...although I can't do any quarter marks for the dressage this time...boo hiss!!!
wink.gif

Can you not do a 1.10 class?? happy medium perhaps?!?
laugh.gif
Show jumping is good fun...may help winnie to do something different every now and again...same applies to you too!!! It'll get you practicing your turns at least
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Shrimp

Visit site
Sounding good and dont you dare go over to the SJ side! I think Winston would prefer doing all 3 phases rather than just the 1
laugh.gif

Good luck, im jealous of you as I want to be out there competiting, make the most of it before the season ends.
smile.gif

grin.gif

BBs

Visit site
Beany baby, I've got to tell you something
frown.gif

We've got to leave by 6am on Tuesday, and thats from the yard, all loaded. I think we should sleep at the yard LMAO

1.10m - GOD GIRL ARE YOU MAD!!!! Nooo
wink.gif
Im not going mad at my first BSJA attempt thank you! 1m is plenty big enough - I know the course build well actually I know two of them, and both are likely to put them well up to height!
crazy.gif

Im glad youre in charge, means I can have a quick nap in between classes
laugh.gif

But no quater markers *sob*

H-J

www.piczo.com
I am doing my week before Smiths Lawn prep too this week I am competiting in my 1st Novice with the new horse on Monday.

I ordered a new bit from Gills Bit Bank Friday and that came yesterday so I will try that out over a few fences on Friday, wont do too much though as he gets a little excited at home!! I schooled him last night and will hack out tonight then school Thurs, sat and Sun (just lightly sun) and hopefully all will go well Monday and I will have breaks in the SJ as didnt really at Mattingley! Although we went clear I had a little bit of trouble stopping at the end!!
smile.gif

I am hoping for a better dress mark as have been getting early 40's and he is very much improving at home so fingers crossed. Will update on Friday night/sat morning when I have tried my new bit out!!!

BBs

Visit site
HEHE Its okay Flic Im resisting the SJing urge lol

Winnie, tbh I dont think cares what he does as long as he gets food at the end of it lol

Aww hunny, next year is another season and you will be back fighting over bigger and better things, whilst winston and I still battle it out around OPN
frown.gif

Beanyowner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

We've got to leave by 6am on Tuesday, and thats from the yard, all loaded. I think we should sleep at the yard LMAO

1.10m - GOD GIRL ARE YOU MAD!!!! Nooo
wink.gif
Im not going mad at my first BSJA attempt thank you! 1m is plenty big enough - I know the course build well actually I know two of them, and both are likely to put them well up to height!
crazy.gif

Im glad youre in charge, means I can have a quick nap in between classes
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

6am...humph!!! Ahh well...I can snooze on the way there!!
wink.gif
Will definetly bring something with caffine in it then as your house is de-caff central!!

1.10...not that bad...ish!!
grin.gif
crazy.gif
wink.gif
But do 1.05 and see how he goes on first outting!

Bloody nap between classes...I think not missy...you will be walking the sj'ing and the XC if you don't do it on Monday...failing that you will be getting dressed and learning tests! Do I sound like your mum yet?!? LOL!!

BBs

Visit site
De-caff central LMAO

They dont have a 1.05 class - so we're doing the smaller ones before it gets all to much for me lol

Blimey, my mothers learnt how to work HHO YIKES!!!!

Beanyowner

Visit site
Well 1m it is then!! See how he gets on with the technicalities...they don't tend to have such nice big sweeping courses as they do at eventing so may be a bit more 'turny'! Sure he will be a superstar though
laugh.gif
cool.gif

Greyhound

Visit site
As always you sound superbly organised.

Go on get Sjing LOL, even I am thinking about doing it
crazy.gif
. At some point in the near future maybe prehaps.

Must be something in the air too, or this cooler weather as madam was somewhat ALIVE last night. Asking for trot and getting canter
tongue.gif
mind you twas a super canter
grin.gif

Good Luck cantering on rocket Connie, hope she remember what the brakes are for.

Best of luck for Smiths Lawn too and the SJing at B&F.

GH

hayliana

Visit site
sounds very exciting hun! fingers crossed all your hard work goes to plan. resist SJ!!! the big fella was built for XC!
grin.gif

oh and i thought about connie, and i think you'll be ok so long as she doesnt know they're canter fields!!! hehehe!
smile.gif

BBs

Visit site
Diesel Dog you are not helping!!! I MUST NOT convert to SJing lol I will never live this down
grin.gif
if i did!

Ahh well its only walking around the fields - however, Bertie is accompanying us around there so...... the likelihood of Bertie behaving is slim in this wind - Jeez I hope she is sensible - shes one hell of a tank if she does go.

Last night my horse dentist was there, she mentioned that Tina Sederholm once rode Connie for J, and that she said, after proceeding to canter within 2 seconds she realised she actually had NO CONTROL
crazy.gif
smirk.gif

We'll stick to walking then LOL

GHound, *waves* hehe see youre getting into the swing of it too
smile.gif
yes methinks all the horses are all growing horns in this cooler weather
grin.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
Excellent prep! Alright for some whose horses do dressage *green glint in eyes*. Oh and btw, BSJA is great fun, if you make a balls up you just say you're an eventer, if you beat them you can smirk LOTS! Here's my prep so far:

last weekend: drive lorry to shropshire and back, it naps the whole way culminating in throwing all its toys out the pram on a very steep hill just before arriving at destination each way. Jump horse at home on the sat, decide he does something funny over oxers when there's something following them.

monday: dressage. horse decides dressage involves doing rocking horse impressions on the spot and says nobody ever told him he had nerves in his mouth or sides, he can't feel anything. Run out of feed (that's ok, I don't feel like feeding it anything today), shop shut.

tuesday: attempts to track down dentist still not bearing fruit. speak to one who was recommended to me on here and he says he can't - it's not his turf. Didn't realise I was in EDT mafia heartland here.... Feed shop still shut.

wednesday: horse comes in from field minus shoe. Farrier was at yard yesterday, isn't due till next tues, will need copious amounts of sweet-talking. Lorry is fixed though.

To be continued.....

BBs

Visit site
LMAO TE I love your preps they make me roar
laugh.gif

You really are struggling, horse and lorry both sound like their being difficult! who was the dentist? isnt Francis close to you???

So hopefully I will see you very early next tuesday then *yawn* walking course on Monday afternoon if youre around - come and join me.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Forgot to add that this morning when I opened up lorry to take to be fixed the door swung back at me and smashed my thumb nail BELOW the quick. But only half off..... bleeding...... didn't have guts to rip it off..... came home when I got back to chop it off instead of riding. Will do that later.

Will ask again at yard for dentist. Otherwise you'll just have to give me FW's number, the hardships a girl has to go through
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Supposed to be going xc schooling and having saddles checked (undoubtedly to be told neither fits and I need to shell out ££££'s for new ones) on friday, and taking my adopted PC kids and ponies with me to teach/give me n W leads - so that should be 3 birds with one stone, but I await fate's next throw of the di with bated breath......

Beanyowner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Preparation is the key to succes and all that jazz.........
wink.gif

Looking forward to meeting you on tues. Why are you not allowed to do quarter marks this time?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Winnies had a hair cut to keep him cooler...never tried doing quarter marks on a clipped horse but have a sneaky suspicion it won't work!!!
grin.gif

tigers_eye

Visit site
Maybe if the hair is really wet, then do the marks then immediately spray with lots of L'Oreal Elnet hair spray - creates immovable helmet effect with with my hair if I do it! Maybe one to try before 5 mins before BBs gets on. If you get withdrawel symptoms you can try on W if you can find enough hair between all the scars and bite marks!

Beanyowner

Visit site
Awwww...am going to have a go on Winnie...see what it turns out like! I think it won't work but I will be armed with some Frizz Ease hairspray which sets like concrete!!
laugh.gif

BBs

Visit site
OUCH! your lorry has it in for you!

You and three brats xc schooling, is that wise with the trend this week is having on you lol

Ive been contemplating the same thing, re saddles need checking - ive resisted that too LMAO

Oh yeah Ill find out Francis number for you
wink.gif

Beanyowner

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Errr Bean, with Winstons arse setting like concrete, with this wonder spray, is he going to be able to move at all
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I will try on the Monday night when I finally arrive! Take it you will still be at the yard!!
laugh.gif

BBs

Visit site
Maybe isnt good enough babe! i need evidence this horse can move, he needs no other excuses for not moving lol

Hell yeah Ill be at the yard till late no doubt - althought maybe not as im skiving off on monday afternoon
wink.gif