Snaffle bits for sensitive mouthed horses

janicesponies

Visit site
My horse is very sensitive in the mouth and goes behind the contact some of the time. She always has a dry mouth. I currently use a KK bit which is a loose ring with a lozenge but she still does not totally like this. This has all been aggravated by a wolf tooth that I have just had removed and she is now having a week / ten days off. Any suggestions? Heard about WH Ultra and Neue Schule Starter Bit as possibles - any feedback would be gratefully received.

kerilli

Visit site
the gentlest bits i've found are the Hippus, the central joint is completely enclosed in the mouthpiece (no lumps at all) and it acts as a simple no-pinch hinge, with no swivel from side to side at all (think of a knee joint, compared to an ankle joint.) have a look at their website, or pm me if interested.

horseywelsh

Visit site
i have a very sensitive mouthed pony who i've backed myself and he's been ridden now for 3 months, started him off in a happy mouth with a roller in, which he seemed to like at first, but with in a matter of days he had chewed it alot, making lots of shrap pieces on it. So put in a copper loose ring french link after this, didn't like french link at all. So bought a neue schule (off ebay actually, there is someone who sells alot of brand new ones), it is a loose ring and the level for green horses. Pony loves it, mouthing u and accepting the bit very well now. Def worth a try
smile.gif

Lollii

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the gentlest bits i've found are the Hippus'

Have you one of these bits? I had a look at the website, they look interesting, how have you got on with it?

kerilli

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the gentlest bits i've found are the Hippus'

Have you one of these bits? I had a look at the website, they look interesting, how have you got on with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had 8 from the company, and let people try them and return them after 2 weeks if the horse didn't go happily in them. i sent out 7, and none came back, despite the price tag...! well, one was swapped from an eggbutt to a loose-ring, but that was all. (i kept the other one for myself.)
i've asked for more, as i have a few people waiting, and am awaiting another delivery. they're too expensive to buy without a trial first imho. they are very gentle and kind and horses seem to really like them. i think a 'normal', non-sensitive horse possibly doesn't necessarily need one, but for sensitive horses they make a huge difference. they are beautifully made, totally symmetrical (unlike most single-joint bits) and very kind.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Have used the Neue Scheule training snaffle on two very senstive mouthed TB's. The first was a chestnut mare who couldnt tolerate any other bit I tried, as they rubbed the sides of her mouth . The other is our young homebred who seems really happy in it.

janicesponies

Visit site
Sounds interesting. The horse concerned is also a thoroughbred and rounds up fairly nicely but then we get this behind the bit problem. She seems to have no confidence in this current KK bit. Do you think the loose ring rather than an eggbut also aggravates the problem? She also has a flash noseband.