Snares !!!!

Equi

Visit site
Are those trigger traps still legal? The bear ones? I don't think they are, but would rather know for sure.

chillipup

Visit site
Are those trigger traps still legal? The bear ones? I don't think they are, but would rather know for sure.

Do you mean Leg hold traps equi? They are not legal in the Uk thank heavens, however, they are sadly, still used in the USA, Canada, Russia and many other countries on wild animals for the fur trade. The trapped animal often chews off it's own leg/foot to free itself. Animals would also do this in the UK when Gin traps were legal. Thankfully, Gin traps can now only be sold as curiosities in the UK, not to be used as traps. Or so the law says!!!:(

orionstar

Visit site
Sorry, but this dog was on a private farm and the owners had clearly lost enough track of it to have to go looking for it. The article states it was quite near a public road, so I'm assuming that no one would have batted an eyelid if it had been run over whilst wandering on it's walk. I don't agree with snares, but It is entirely the dog owners responsibility for what the dog does whilst under the owners control on private land and if the dog was not on a designated footpath when this occurred then it's the owners fault.

Equi

Visit site
So if a 11yo kid gets hit by a car it's the parents fault for not having them on a lead too?

orionstar

Visit site
Are you saying an 11 year old child only has the intelligence of a dog when it comes to traffic and how to cross a road? Because I was taught not to cross a road when a car was coming at the age of 6, and to this day I don't tend to step out in front of oncoming cars!

wench

Visit site
Wether snares are nasty or not is another debate. The fact is that it is highly unlikely that the gamekeeper would position the snares where someone's dog would be likely to get caught in it, ie right next to a footpath. The dog clearly wasn't under control, and therefore the owner is the one to blame. (Where they even allowed to be where they were walking). A dog should be on a lead of walking to heel at all times when on a public footpath, not trespassing all over the farmers fields

huskydamage

Visit site
snares are a horrible.but i do think most people have zero control over their dogs offlead so this kind of stuff is bound to happen. Maybe the dog ran way off path. Its not out the relms of possibility that it was put close to the path on purpose though. Some people just dont care and want to discourage you from going on their land even if its a public right of way.Ive known similar things all the time on bridleways some quite dangerous things i can only assume some land owners feel the same about dogs and walkers. Sad but true!

Alec Swan

Visit site
personally I think snares should be banned, fox hunting is banned on grounds of cruelty so I don't understand how snares remain legal.

I agree. It's illegal to snare deer, but not foxes and I fail to see the distinction. I spent 10 years working as a 'keeper and over that time snared a great many foxes. It is nothing short of barbarism and in today's world of field sports, snaring is unnecessary.

I would like to see the NGO take a stance and institute a voluntary ban on the practice and lead the way to making the practice illegal. Field Sports have enough opponents without attempting the defence of such treatment of our wildlife. I won't describe the level of suffering which is inflicted, but this is the 21st. century, and those of us who Shoot need to address the problem, from within and before yet another nail is driven in to our coffin.

Alec.

rachk89

Visit site
I am more shocked that the owner took the time to take a fair few pictures of the dog in distress and in her words making strangled noises than getting the dog free. I must be odd because if an animal of mine or not even mine was in obvious pain I wouldn't whip my phone or camera out to take a picture of it. Could have just taken pictures of the snare after releasing the dog.

Shouldn't be legal either quite shocked they are.

SpottyMare

Visit site
I think there are two separate issues here that have collided... :D
1. Are snares barbaric and should be made illegal? - Yep (in my humble opinion)
2. Should dog owners be allowed to let their dogs run free where ever they like? - Nope. Too many ****wit dog owners out there - you only have to look at the number of dogs you see out and about that haven't even been trained how to walk on a lead properly to realise that the amount of owners who have spent time and effort on proper training (including recall) is minimal... (and just for info, I love dogs - have had 5 in my life. It's generally the owners who annoy me). With apologies to all decent owners out there in H&H forum land with well trained dogs...you are obviously the exceptions to the majority I've met while out hacking/running/walking/minding my own business :D

Equi

Visit site
Quite agree. I only let my dog off the lead in the forest trail, cause he stays on the trail, or at the beach because he stays in eye sight and cant go anywhere really! id never let him off on land.

It really annoys me when i see dogs off lead in town though. Theres one particular lady who has a lab who is never on lead. To be fair, he looks a very well trained dog, never goes into the road and comes back to call immediately, but a dog is a dog and should something spook him or another dog that doesn't like dogs get approached then something bad is going to happen.

One that REALLY annoyed me lately was a spaniel collie type thing running about all over the path with a kid i think was about 10. The kid went to cross the road, but had no control of the dog at all so it was running across then back to the kid over and over. The cars coming in both directions just stopped so the kid could go across to get the dog, but it was just infuriating.

wench

Visit site
When I go out for a walk or run in the countryside (or town for that mstter) I don't want some strangers dirty dog jumping all over me with its filthy paws

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
When I go out for a walk or run in the countryside (or town for that mstter) I don't want some strangers dirty dog jumping all over me with its filthy paws

me neither. I have two dogs, they aren't perfect but they have better manners than to jump up on anyone, its not a difficult thing to teach a dog.